3T Exploro Race Ekar 1x13 Gravel Bike
Go Italian, fast- with great capability thanks to the 3T Exploro Race Ekar 1x13 Bicycle. The foundation is the Race/Max frameset and built with the 700c wheel Race-style package. Campagnolo's Ekar gives you massive range with it's 13-speed cassette. You still get the same frame capability if you decide you want to go to a 650b wheel and tire size.
3T has pushed the Exploro concept further, driving better aerodynamics and efficiency, as well as massive tire clearance, now found in the Exploro RaceMax. This is a frameset that can offer impressive speed and all around capability for cyclists to whom that is crucial, whether racing or just tearing up gravel to avoid pavement and cars. At the same time, the adventure or long distance gravel rider who prefers to tackle all terrain with a goal of not walking, can build out the same frameset with tires that push 61mm (2.4"), yet still have a road like feel and geometry. If the Exploro set a new direction, the Exploro Racemax creates a whole new world of cycling opportunity whether a racer, a maximizer, or anyone in between.
To understand the development of the Exploro RaceMax from 3T's perspective, you have to embrace two concepts: Width as measured, and Radius as measured, or WAM and RAM. The goal was to max a true aero frame and fork that integrated clearance and aero coverage. By understanding that WAM and RAM vary with internal rim width, desired tire pressure and actual tire specifications (not listed). As the internal width grows, the tire shape and volume changes- same with pressure. As such the listed tire spec becomes irrelevant and only actual measurements provide the true distance and clearances needed. The frame and fork can be designed for real measurements.
With the seattube cutout and seatstay bridge you can see the combination of upper clearance and optimal aero shielding, even with adequate mud clearance. Instead of the now customary dropped driveside lower stay, both stays have been dropped, delivering even greater clearance and increased lateral stiffness. Cyclists choosing 700c wheel options can opt for 1x or 2x drivetrains with no problem. The knowledge of the real working RAM of 347-353mm allows you make the optimal tire and rim choice for speed, volume and efficiency. You can see the same thought process with the fork design, which has a minimal height crown that is both exceptionally strong and wide. The axle to crown is 370mm, the same as the average road bike, keeping the tire closer to the downtube- again more aero. The second aspect is that the front end is lower, improving handling and road-bike feel.
The Fango RaceMax fork has a tapered 1 1/2" to 1 1/8" steerer- no surprise there. You may wonder how it fits into the slim headtube- yet another aero feature- so 3T had Cane Creek create custom, narrow headset, the MinMax, which can handle the same loads as a standard version. The fork and the frame have flat mount disc caliper mounts designed for direct use- no adapters- for 160mm disc rotors. The rear triangle and fork also feature fender mounts. The top tube has the now standard bag mount bosses.
There are many less crucial features which add to the unique capabilities of the Exploro RaceMax, but the true essence has been covered. The result is a frameset that is truly capable of efficiency that only the best aero road bikes can match, with borderline ridiculous tire clearance, a powerful ride, with compliance. 3T has upgraded their hidden seatpost wedge and the Charlie Sqaero carbon seatpost features the reliable Ritchey WCS 1-bolt clamp system. Mechanical or electronic? Yes. Integrated routing? Of course. Syntace bolt-on thru axles for 12/142mm rear and 12/100mm front are deemed to be the stiffest interface available. Fit is improved, with six sizes available versus the four of the standard Exploro.
With this Exploro Race Velocio Ekar Bicycle 3T specs the Ekar 1x13 mechanical drivetrain and Flat Mount hydraulic disc brake system with 700c Fulcrum Raid Red 900 wheels (22mm IRW, tubeless/clincher compatible) riding on 35mm Panaracer GK SK+ tires. The gearing is 38T up front with the Ekar 9-42T cassette. The kit items are largely 3T, with an Superergo Pro alloy bar, Apto Stealth stem, and the gravel friendly Prendo bar tape. A Fizik Tempo R5 Saddle rests atop the frame-specific carbon 3T Charlie Sqaero seatpost.
- Performance Exploro Race aero gravel bike driven by Campagnolo Ekar 1x13s drivetrain, 3T cockpit, Fulcrum wheels
- Exploro RaceMax frameset built into a 700c Race package
- Unidirectional pre-preg carbon; High-modulus/high-strength performance blend layup
- Fango RaceMax fork w/ compact crown, tapered steerer, flat mount disc interface (direct to 160mm)
- Minimalist fork crown height that allows effective fork length close to pure road designs (370mm axle to crown)
- RaceMax frame & fork can accommodate 61mm tires (2.4"), WAM: Width As Measured, RAM: Radius As Measured
- Frameset is fastest with 35-42mm WAM tires for gravel racing
- Next-level aerodynamics w/ rear wheel cutout, narrow headtube, bottle shielding downtube & aero profiles
- Close-fitting cutout to optimally shield the rear wheel; oversized shapes create front tire & downtube intersection for better airflow transition and less turbulence
- Downtube optimized to re-direct the airflow coming off the front wheel and onto the water bottle
- Downtube and seattube bottle cage bosses; top tube bag mount bosses
- Seatpost wedge system has self-adjusting bolt angle for higher clamping forces with lower torque
- Direct Flat Mount fork and frame disc mounts for 160mm rotor/caliper set-ups- no adapter required
- Syntace 12/100mm, 12/142 bolt-on thru-axles with hollow center zone
- Integrated fender mounts- invisible until needed (3T offers specific fender set)
- All component specifications are subject to change by 3T due to supply chain issues
- Groupset: Campagnolo Ekar 1x13 drivetrain, Ekar hydraulic road disc brakes
- Shift/Brake levers: Ekar-13 speed mechanical / Hydraulic Disc
- Rear Derailleur: Ekar 13s
- Crankset/BB: Ekar UT 1x w/ 38T / UT BB386EVO cups
- Cassette/Chain: Ekar 13s 9-42T (N3W) / Ekar 13s w/ pin
- Calipers/Rotors: Ekar Flat Mount Disc Brake calipers, Flat Mount / 160mm SRAM Centerline CL
- Wheelset: Fulcrum Rapid Red DB, 2-Way Fit, 22mm IRW, N3W freehub, AFS/Center Lock disc, FT 12/100, RR 12/142mm thru-axles
- Tires: Panaracer Gravel King SK+ ProTec TLC, 700x35mm
- Headset: Custom Cane Creek MinMax (IS42/28.6 | IS47/38)
- Handlebar/Tape: 3T Superergo Pro alloy 31.8mm / 3T Prendo
- Stem: Apto Stealth 31.8mm
- Seatpost: 3T Charlie Sqaero carbon seatpost (Ritchey single bolt head design) Saddle: Fizik Tempo R5 (S-alloy rails)
- Component specifics by frame size (bar width is measured Center to Center
- XXS | Bar width: 40cm, Stem length: 70mm, Crank length: 165mm
- 51cm | Bar width: 42cm, Stem length: 80mm, Crank length: 170mm
- 54cm | Bar width: 42cm, Stem length: 90mm, Crank length: 172.5mm
- 56cm | Bar width: 44cm, Stem length: 100mm, Crank length: 172.5mm
- 61cm | Bar width: 46cm, Stem length: 120mm, Crank length: 175mm
- All Component Specifications are subject to change without notice due to supply chain challenges
- Sizes: XXS, 51, 54, 56, 58, 61 cm
- Colors: Red/White, Blue/Brown
- Weight: 19.56 lbs (54cm)
|3T Exploro RACE/MAX|
|Top Tube Length||506mm||526mm||546mm||566mm||586mm||606mm|
|Head Tube Length||125mm||147mm||161mm||180mm||201mm||232mm|
|Bottom Bracket Drop||79mm||79mm||77mm||77mm||75mm||75mm|