Alan Cross Race Max Disc Frameset
True cycling historians know the story of Alan. And they wouldn't be surprised at Alan's frames being made with high modulus carbon fiber or embracing disc brake designs with electronic groupset compatibility. Alan was always a small shop, with a passion for innovation and driving the use of new technologies. At a time when lightweight aluminum was still fairly new to cycling components, Alan embraced it as a frame material, using a threaded tube-junction system that, when bonded, proved to be not only viable, but strong and resilient. Around the time that major steel manufacturers started seeing the value of aluminum, Alan was working with Toray of Japan to build bikes with carbon fiber tubes, becoming the first to produce with this now ubiquitous material. Never a huge company, Italy based Alan has continued to make high quality bikes with new designs, concepts and materials. US distribution has wavered over the years, but Alan's cyclocross bikes have always been desired for their comfort, geometry and agile nature.
With the use of high-tech 30 ton high modulus carbon fiber, and the move to disc brakes, the Alan Cross Race Matrix DBS Carbon has become a must-see for this Fall. A must-have, is more like it. The sloping geometry keeps the triangle laterally stiff, but vertically compliant, with gradually tubes that reduce from headtube to seattube, profiling for an easy carry. The down tube is a rounded diamond shape, widening and flattening towards the bottom bracket- again for lateral stiffness and power transfer. The PF30 bottom bracket, tapered 1⅛" to 1½" headtube, and front and rear thru-axles will keep the bike on track, driving towards your preferred line.
The rear triangle features thin, tapering stays that keep the back end light and compliant, but carries power cleanly to the rear hub. A replaceable derailleur hanger is always welcome. The dropouts are 12/142mm rear 15/100mm front thru-axles. The rear flat caliper mount sits within the triangle, protecting the caliper from damage and increasing overall braking power and rear-end stiffness. A full carbon, tapered, disc specific fork also has a Flat Mount, and features internal routing for your cable housing or hydraulic hose. The derailleur/ electronic cables/housings are also routed internally on the main frame, with the rear disc now also internally routed. Alan provides the integrated, tapered headset. Alan opted for a 31.6mm seatpost to best handle the jarring mounts and impacts of cross. Carbon makes for a great post upgrade to filter out the chatter and vibration. 1x drivetrain users won't need to worry about an awkward, unused front derailleur mount, and those who opt for a 2x crankset will use a 34.9mm clamp for a road-style bottom pull front derailleur.
With Alan's proven history in cyclocross and the details of the thru-axle equipped Cross Race Max Disc, you can be sure the frameset will be nimble, track as desires, and easy to manage in the most challenging segments of any course. Vertical compliance is standard and you can dictate your seatpost choice to determine what is best for you. The short headtube lengths let you know the expected position is race oriented. The disc frame is weight competitive at 1150 grams; and the fork as well at 495 grams. The details are top-notch, even down to the Allen bolt fitment of the cable stops. Regardless of what group or drivetrain you run, the Alan Cross Race Matrix DBS Carbon Frameset will carry you to the finish line in fine fashion, with the cheers of forty plus years of innovation in your ears.
- UCI race level, carbon, disc brake, mechanical/electronic compatible cross frameset
- 30 Ton high modulus fiber employed in various tube shapes to enhance ride
- Sloping design delivers lateral stiffness, easy on-off and carry, vertical compliance
- Internal derailleur cable and rear disc housing routing, ports for wires
- Tapered carbon steerer fork with Flat Mount disc, internal routing, 15/100mm TA
- Rear triangle and fork feature flat mount disc calipers
- 12/142mm rear thru-axle system
- Bottom Bracket: PF30 type
- 34.9mm clamp size required for front derailleur use with bottom pull, road-style FD
- Seatpost required: 31.6mm
- Included: Integrated headset, seatpost collar,
- Tire clearance: 35mm+ depending on manufacturing variance
- Downtube and seattube water cage bosses, with bosses under downtube for battery
- Color: Monza Red
- Sizes: Small (52cm vtt), Medium(54cm), Large(55.5cm), XL(57cm)
- Weight: Frame 1150g (Small), Fork 495 g (uncut steerer)
|Alan Disc Geometry|
|Size||Top Tube Length||Head Tube Height||Head Angle||Seat Tube c-t|