ALE Agonista Plus Bib Shorts
If you are looking for a best selling, high performance bib short with race design and supportive fabrics, the ALÉ Agonista Plus has to be at the top of your list. Featuring commitment to comfort, function and aerodynamic efficiency as bibs costing much more, the Agonista Plus delivers high level support to the abdominals, muscles of the lower back and obliques. At the same time, because the upper features so much mesh and open area, and the legs have a proven aero mesh fabric, the moisture transfer and cooling actions keep you comfortable. While a great road option, especially for those who deal with chipseal, rough pavement and urban transitions, the Agonista Plus Bib Shorts would also be great for 1-3 hour fast gravel rides. It delivers muscle support, comfort, and cooling you just don't normally find at this price point.
The driving forces behind ALÉ's success in top-level cycling gear are: informed design, key material technologies and the knowledge for best application, pro rider and team testing and input, as well as a serious passion for delivering the best cycling experience to serious enthusiasts at every level. Working with some of the top textile companies, to tap into great fabrics and technologies, ALÉ is able to construct garments of incredible fabric complexity fully tailored to the needs of cyclists. By employing Body Mapping, the designers identify the anatomic and ergonomic requirements, as well as perspiration and heat build-up to deploy the proper fabrics, stretch and breathability rates, and decide how panels and seams are designed, achieved and located. The resulting garment feels custom, supportive and comfortable, no matter the use case. The shammy (ALÉ for chamois) pad choice is based on the latter and integrated into the design. Every pad option is developed and produced to ALÉ's exact specifications based on purpose, rider posture, gender, and other aspects, such as heat and desired padding level.
The Agonista employs three primary fabrics. The bib upper features Air Cell Lycra, a mesh with large open shapes, that carries enough stretch and a soft feel to deliver upper body support you need with major cooling action up the sides and back. The straps themselves have polyester-elastane blend that has a controlled stretch, lies flat and feels natural on the skin. A unique aspect of the Agonista Plus is the level of mid-section coverage and support. It is higher and more comprehensive. The low volume Action fabric is hydrophilic, with a polyamide and elastane fibers, so it actually won't hold moisture, and with movement and body heat, natural evaporation takes place, pulling excess heat with it. The Action textile also offers controlled stretch, and directional panels can dictate the level of compressive support as needed. Keeping the core stable and supported is more crucial than most cyclists believe, though it has been appreciated more since the build up of gravel riding, during which the benefits are more obvious. However, the constant vibration during road riding, even if minimal, does bring fatigue over longer hours on the saddle, which can compromise your stability and form on the bike, and can have a greater effect when taking on long rides day after day.
The Action carries down through the center and rear of the short section, with the Body Mapped panel shapes and structures ensuring proper ergonomics with support. The forward panels wrap the sides, but carry ALÉ's Mesh Dragon, which is more commonly used in their aero jersey's but is ideal for the Agonista Plus as applied. This micro mesh structures still offer stretch and mild compression, but add even more cooling airflow with a design that also reduces drag, adding aerodynamic efficiency as the airflow carries on and off the legs while pedaling. Finishing the short section, the GRIPPER cuff design carries wide, reflective leg grippers that are lightly silicone screened underneath for a perfect fit and a low compression, natural hold.
ALÉ applies their race driven 8HF shammy pad to the Pro Race Bib. It has an elastic micro-fiber topsheet and excellent memory padding which is strategically positioned at the proper bones structure contact points in an aggressive riding posture. The padding that protects the perineal and ischiatic area, reaching a maximum density of 120 kg/m³ at 8mm thick, calibrated to ensure maximum protection from shocks and road stresses. The central relief channel safeguards the nerve endings even in the longest rides. The lateral shaped wings are soft and flexible to follow the body movements during pedaling with 4mm thick 60 kg/m³ density foam. The foam all features 3mm perforations to keep you as cool and dry as possible at high exertion levels. The 8HF pad moves with you, held in place by superior construction, great stretch and the support of the Action fabric.
One note on fit. This is a pure race design product from a European company, so it will run small. Follow the size guidelines, and if in any doubt, size up. Light weight, carrying major reflective details, driven by passion with tremendous race fit and overall performance, the ALÉ Agonista Plus Bib Short is very strong option in this price point, Yes, it needs to fit and feel right for you, but you won't know until you try it. If you feel the extra support and efficiency are right for you, go for it.
- High performance, race-level bib with ultra supportive mid section, aero leg fabric, and cooling capability
- R-EV1 design with pure race cut, tight fitting with highly innovative materials, technical construction
- Second skin fitting with minimal use of seams with fewer panels, taped/bonded seaming as needed
- Body Mapping used to define functionality during the ride, as well as ventilation, breathability and protection
- Bonded Technology features taped seams, eliminates stitching in sensitive areas, reducing chafing risk
- FREE Bib system offers lightness, quick drying and comfort as the three main features
- Air Cell side panels and the upper part are made with this fast wicking, high stretch Lycra
- Zero Friction bib eliminates friction via the use of raw-cut materials with the Bonded Technology taped seams
- Low volume Action main textile is supremely supportive with compressive, controlled stretch; while purging moisture to stay dry
- Mesh Dragon micro mesh fabric panels on forward facing and sides of the legs is extremely thin and soft, offering maximum breathability, but aero
- The non-linear structure of the mesh reduces airflow drag to increase aerodynamics efficiency
- Flatlock stitching used where it won't impact comfort, but supports controlled and balanced panel stretch
- GRIPPER wide, reflective leg grippers, lightly silicone screened underneath for a perfect fit and low compression hold
- ALÉ 8HF shammy developed with primary support zone open cell foam of 120 kg/m³ density padding at 8mm thick; surround features 4mm thick 60 kg/m³ density foam
- The foam has 3mm perforations significantly increases the fast and efficient ventilation
- Narrower pad shape for aggressive posture; central relief zone reduces pressure on sensitive areas
- Elastic micro-fiber topsheet conforms to the body better, easy on the skin; anti-microbial properties
- Materials: Polyamide, Polyester, Elastane, Silicone
- Reflective highlights for low-light visibility
- Suggested temperature range: 65°- 86°F
- Sizes: Small, Medium, Large, XL, XXL
- Color: Black / White (logos)
- Weight: 170 grams (Medium)