Bell has been releasing updated versions of some of their best and most popular helmets. The primary reason has been the integrated MIPS® protection system they developed to reduce the weight of MIPS versions and improve the overall helmet experience. The Stratus MIPS Helmet now features this advanced design, which decreases overall profile size, simplifies the construction process, and lowers overall weight. The road specific Stratus Ghost MIPS weighs in at around 300 grams (Medium) though our actual weight ws 284 grams. With this version, the helmet gets the Ghost durable reflective coating under the clear coat. It is intensively reflective under direct light for optimal safety in low light conditions, which enhances the effect of the Hi-Viz color.
The Stratus features a sleek, aero shell with long ventilation channels. The polycarbonate shell features Bell's Fusion In-Mold technology, which molds the shell to the protective foam layer. The reason the Stratus can carry the long channels without compromising structural integrity is the lightweight polycarbonate Roll Cage that provides additional support and strength, as well as holding the system together after initial impact, which means you get protection even in a dreaded multi-impact event. Add MIPS to that that level of helmet safety and you have the bets protection available in a road helmet.
MIPS, or the Multi-directional Impact Protection System is an industry leading slip-plane technology that allows the wearer's head to move against shearing and rebound forces of an impact. Any side or edge impact can lead to brain movement inside the skull counter to the impact direction. MIPS helps reduce those forces, limiting damage to the brain tissue. This system has been proven effective and is now found in many sport helmet systems. Cycling was one of the first to strong adopt MIPS and now that Bell has developed a way to integrate the MIPS system into the retention system, any weight penalty is lessened, and fit and helmet performance are improved.
Ventilation is impressive, with 18 total vents bringing air in, and channeling it around the skull thanks to a matrix that directs airflow efficiently and quietly. This is most obvious in the Overbrow Ventilation™ zone, which brings the air in right where you need it most to keep you cool and dry. Combine that with the Sweat Guide padding, which is designed to serve that channeling system from front to back and out the open rear vents.
Fit, adjustment and retention come from the Float Fit™ system, a simple, one hand adjustment system featuring a single rubber coated rear thumb wheel that can be operated even with sweaty, gloved hands with no problems. The lightweight composite material of the fit structure is minimalist, yet strong and effective. It is also designed with the MIPS system and integrates very well with ventilation. Bell uses their smart and well executed No-Twist Tri-Glides™. These simple adjustment clasps secure the lightweight woven nylon straps and prevent them from twisting or getting caught up, meaning you can get the best fit and adjustment without messing around with the straps themselves. Smart and simple.
The sleek shell and smart design of the Stratus MIPS advances this mid-price road helmet closer to road race level, with a more aerodynamic shape and vent system. A great everyday road helmet, with premium level visibility and safety benefits, the Stratus Ghost MIPS takes is cues from the race-ready Z20, and for many cyclists is a much better choice dollar for dollar.Return to Top
- Advanced safety and performance in a mid-price road helmet with Hi-Viz
- Sleek, more aerodynamic design with a lower profile, lighter weight
- Treated with a durable reflective coating under the clear coat, the Stratus Ghost glows with serious intensity when hit with direct light
- Standard CPSC safety features, plus the new integrated MIPS system
- MIPS is designed to reduce rotational forces that can result from certain impacts
- Polycarbonate In-Mold Fusion shell and foam system
- Roll Cage is lightweight polycarbonate internal structure "skeleton"
- Float Fit retention-fit system is minimalist, controlled by rear thumb wheel
- 18 vents with matrix of air channels under shell, with Overbrow Ventilation
- Sweat Guide padding designed to work with ventilation system to keep you cool, dry
- Soft, lightweight strap system managed by No-Twist Tri-Glides clasps
- Sizes: Small, Medium, Large
- Colors: Ghost Matte/Gloss Hi-Viz Reflective
- Weight: 284 grams (actual, Medium)
|Head Circumference||51-55 cm / 20"-21.75"||55-59 cm / 21.75"-23.25"||59-63 cm / 23.25"-24.75"|