Boyd Carbon Disc Brake 55mm Wheelset
Not all aero wheels are created equal. Rim shapes and profiles that once dominated on rim brake wheels now have been surpassed the greater design flexibility of disc brake specific creations. The wheel designs of Boyd Cycling began as a passion project real goals. You can see the passion in the builds, and the goals in the execution of design specific wheels that are handbuilt to assure rider safety, intended performance, and overall integrity. The company has carved out a more than competitive place in a crowded and impressive market, and Boyd has proven it belongs. The Boyd Carbon Disc Brake 55mm Wheelset was designed for road, road race, and triathlon use when rolling speed and occasional versatility are required.
If you normally average over 18mph the 55mm profile rim is ideal for you, with terrific rolling speed and aerodynamic performance benefit. The shape and footprint of the rim manages crosswinds with ease, is willing and able on climbs, and carries real speed on descents that will make you take advantage of the control found with disc braking. You get a wheel design that can be run tubeless or clincher with tires from 25-32mm because the 22mm internal width is balanced with a 28mm external width, creating a perfect tire shape and premium aero gains with 28mm tires.
These impressive wheels were designed from the ground up to harmoniously function as a system with modern disc brake road bikes. The truly contemporary widths of the hooked Tubeless/Clincher rim gives 25-32mm tubeless tires a voluminous shape that enhances ride quality, increases traction, and provides more comfort for those long days in the saddle. The 55mm wasn't really developed for gravel use, so if you want more of a true gravel wheelset and greater tire range, the Pinnacle Gravel from Boyd is a great option.
This handcrafted wheel is laced with double-butted j-bend spokes and brass nipples and features a 2.8mm spoke offset to ensure better spoke balance. A 2-cross lacing pattern ensures the build can withstand high-torque loads, and the 36mm rim depth provides aerodynamic gains. This wheel spins on Boyd Quest disc brake hubs that feature ABEC-5 steel bearings, with the rear's freehub delivering five degrees of engagement. The rear hub features a quick swap freehub body with options available for Shimano, SRAM XDR and Campagnolo cassettes. Both hubs feature press-fit end caps for 12/100mm front and 12/142mm rear thru-axles, and Center Lock disc rotor mounts. This aero road disc brake specific wheelset weighs in at 1700g and is ready for you every day, on any road.
- All around carbon 55mm deep road disc brake wheelset with true aero benefit, excellent handling and ride, with contemporary widths
- Ideal for road use at speeds over 18mph, alone or in a group/race situation, triathlon
- Excellent stability and footprint for tubeless use, and impressive power transfer and braking force management
- Carbon TLR/Clincher Disc rim spec: 55mm profile, 22mm IRW, 28mm ERW, 2.5mm spoke hole offset
- Hubset: Quest Disc Brake Hubs, Thru-axle, Center Lock; equipped with ABEC-5 LLB/LLU bearings
- Rear hub features QuickChange freehub system and 5° engagement
- Lacing features a 2.5mm spoke offset to ensure better spoke balance
- Front wheel is 24 hole, Rear is 28 hole, both are laced 2x/2x to withstand high-torque loads
- Features Pillar Wing 20 double-butted j-bend steel spokes, Pillar DSN double square brass nipples
- Recommended tire size: 25-32mm for road use
- Tubeless rim tape and Tubeless valves installed
- Center Lock disc rotor mount
- Thru-axle hub spacing: 12/100mm front, 12/142mm rear
- Freehub: Shimano/SRAM 11-speed
- Finish: Satin Black w/Gloss Black labels
- Wheelset weight: 1700 grams (785g front, 915g rear)