Boyd Cycling Prologue 28mm Carbon Disc Wheelset
Boyd's Prologue carbon wheelsets have been designed and built as a perfect upgrade for those seeking the ride qualities and characteristics of carbon rims over aluminum without breaking the bank. The 28mm disc brake model is an ideal choice for those who seek a great all-around wheelset with a base aerodynamic benefit without worrying about crosswinds. Fast rolling, with a stable foundation from a road wheel width and a Tubeless Ready Clincher hooked rim bead, the Prologue Carbon Disc Brake 28mm Wheelset is a great choice for everyday riding, climbing, descending, and fast acceleration.
Rated for tires from 23-32mm, the 28mm profile depth rims are optimal with 25-30mm options. The 18mm internal rim width is matched with a 25mm external at the edge, with a slightly wider overall profile, so the wheels work well in disc road frames that may not have the massive clearance of some models. We suggest a 28mm road tire is the best option in tubed clincher at 5-15psi sub-max pressure, while 25-28mm in tubeless may well be the best range depending on your air pressure preference and actual tire width-as-measured when inflated.
Boyd works with several partners to deliver a great overall wheelset, and while the aluminum Skyuka disc road hubset may not be well known, it has proven reliable, with an interchangeable freehub body system and quality ABEC-3 sealed cartridge bearings. Pillar, long a stalwart provider to the best Taiwanese companies, provides the spokes and the external double square brass nipples that are easily worked and resist corrosion. Spoke tension is reasonably high and the hub flanges, spokes, and nipples hold the tension well while the lightly bladed steel spokes offer some ride forgiveness with great strength. The front wheel is a 24 hole build, laced 2x/2x, while the rear is laced the same in a 28 hole set-up to handle the greater percentage of rider weight towards the back of the bike while also being more forgiving.
At 1670 grams for the set, with the tubeless tape installed, the Prologue Disc 28mm has a reasonable weight for such a durable build at this price, with the lighter rotational weight of the carbon rim enhancing the acceleration and nimbleness of the overall design. One note, while tubeless tape comes installed, Boyd doesn't not provide tubeless valves. If you choose to use tubeless tires, we recommend the Stan's NoTubes Universal Valve stems in the 44mm option.
- Low profile, cost-effective carbon wheelset with a durable build, ideal as an alloy wheel upgrade
- Quality components and proper build with a Lifetime Warranty against defect (must register w/Boyd)
- Prologue rims feature a hooked tire interface so you can use any tire brand at any pressure
- 700c Carbon TLR/Clincher Disc rim spec: 28mm profile, 18mm IRW, 25mm ERW
- Optimal tire range: 25-30 tires, rated for 23-32mm overall
- Skyuka hubs featuring 10° engagement and ABEC 3 sealed cartridge bearings; 24h front, 28h rear 2x/2x spoke lacing all around
- Pillar Aero 1423 spokes and Pillar DSN double square brass nipples- external
- Includes: Tubeless Rim Tape Installed (no valves- recommend Stan's Universal, 44mm min), Lifetime Warranty
- Thru-axle spacing: 12/100mm front, 12/142mm rear
- Freehub: Shimano HG/SRAM 11s road
- Finish: Carbon/Gray
- Weight: 1620 grams (1670g w/ tubeless tape installed)