Boyd Prologue Carbon Rim Brake 44mm Wheelset
Yes, road bikes with rim brakes still are still a great choice for road cyclists. If you want a semi-aero wheel upgrade from a decent aluminum rim set-up, but don't want to break the bank, the 44mm Boyd Cycling Prologue Carbon wheelset is available in a rim brake version for under $1100. Boyd's Prologue carbon wheelsets have been designed and built as a perfect upgrade for those seeking the ride qualities and characteristics of carbon rims over aluminum without breaking the bank. Over the years the 44mm depth has been their best seller as a true all-rounder, and the Prologue series makes the price very accessible.
The Prologue Carbon Rim Brake 44mm Wheelset is the ideal blend of weight, aero gain, and crosswind stability. The 44mm rim brake model is an ideal choice for those who seek a great all-around wheelset with a base aerodynamic benefit without concerns about getting blown around the road on gusty days. Fast rolling, with a stable foundation from a road wheel width and a Tubeless Ready Clincher hooked rim bead, the Prologue Carbon Rim Brake 44mm Wheelset is a great choice for everyday riding, group rides, and entry level racing.
Rated for tires from 25-32mm, the 44mm profile depth rims are optimal with 25-30mm options. The 19mm internal rim width is matched with a 27mm external at the edge, with a slightly wider overall profile, so the wheels work well in disc road frames that may not have the massive clearance of some models. We suggest a 28-30mm road tire is the best option in tubed clincher at 5-15psi sub-max pressure, while 25-30mm in tubeless may well be the best range depending on your air pressure preference and actual tire width-as-measured when inflated.
Boyd works with several partners to deliver a great overall wheelset, and while the aluminum Skyuka road hubset may not be well known, it has proven reliable, with an interchangeable freehub body system and quality ABEC-3 sealed cartridge bearings. Pillar, long a stalwart provider to the best Taiwanese companies, provides the spokes and the external double square brass nipples that are easily worked and resist corrosion. Spoke tension is reasonably high and the hub flanges, spokes, and nipples hold the tension well while the lightly bladed steel spokes offer some ride forgiveness with great strength. The front wheel is a 24 hole build, laced radial, while the rear is laced with a 2x/2x pattern in a 28 hole set-up to handle the greater percentage of rider weight towards the back of the bike while also being more forgiving.
At 1555 grams for the set at $1064, with the tubeless tape installed, the Prologue Rim 44mm has a reasonable weight in an everyday rideable build, with moderate aero efficiency at this great price, with the lighter rotational weight of the carbon disc brake rim enhancing the acceleration of the overall design. A few notes: while tubeless tape comes installed, Boyd doesn't not provide tubeless valves. If you choose to use tubeless tires, we recommend the Orange Seal Versa in the 60mm option, and depending on the pump interface you use, the Stan's NoTubes Universal Valve stems in the 55mm option may work as well. Opt for longer if your floor or emergency pump requires a deep seat onto the valve to be sure you won't get caught out. Boyd does not provide quick release skewers, but they do supply a set of their Onyx Carbon Brake Pads, which fit Shimano/SRAM brake pad holders.
- Mid profile, cost-effective carbon rim brake wheelset with a durable build, ideal as an alloy wheel upgrade
- Great combination of mid-aero height with stability and rolling speed for everyday riding, entry level racing
- Quality components and proper build with a Lifetime Warranty against defect (must register w/Boyd)
- Prologue rims feature a hooked clincher tire interface so you can use any tire brand at any pressure
- 700c Carbon TLR/Clincher rim spec: 44mm profile, 19mm IRW, 27mm ERW, Textured rim brake
- Optimal tire range: 28-30 tires, rated for 25-32mm overall
- Skyuka hubs featuring 10° engagement and ABEC 3 sealed cartridge bearings; 24h front laced rad\ial, 28h rear 2x/2x spoke lacing on the rear wheel
- Pillar Aero 1423 spokes and Pillar DSN double square brass nipples- external
- Includes: Onyx Carbon Brake Pads, Tubeless Rim Tape Installed (no valves- recommend Stan's Universal, 55mm min / QR skewers NOT included), Lifetime Warranty
- Quick Release hub spacing: 100mm front, 130mm rear
- Freehub: Shimano HG/SRAM 11s road
- Finish: Carbon/Gray
- Weight: 1555 grams (actual) w/ tubeless tape installed