Campagnolo Record 12-Speed Rear Derailleur
For 2020 Campagnolo has upgraded the Record 12-Speed Rear Derailleur with a cage that can accommodate cassettes with up to a 34T large cog. Campagnolo builds their drivetrain line-up from the top down, like every other manufacturer, and carries most of the engineering, features and construction from Super Record 12 to Record 12. In fact only the front face of the derailleur cage and some of the hardware different. The pure functionality is there, but 35 grams heavier and significantly less expensive. As Record is the everyday standard bearer for Campagnolo and most of their sponsored pro cyclists, the performance is first class, with some UD carbon structural advancements that deliver the super quick, precise shifting up and down wide range cassettes, even at extreme chainlines. The main body of the unit is stiff, light and high tech; a sculpture with a Technopolymer/UD carbon fiber blend as it's medium.
The UD carbon parts of the design sculpted or augmented by unidirectional carbon that has been high-pressure molded with the technopolymer to create the strength, stiffness, and durability required for this hard working component. At 221 grams, the aluminum cage plates, steel bearings and hardware are still able to keep the Record 12 highly competitive, weight-wise. Campagnolo refined their 3D Embrace technology for 12-speed use, ensuring the cage travels properly for the extreme angles and stresses of today's 2x drivetrains and wide range cassettes. The technology serves a double purpose: it enables the chain to maintain optimum traction at all times, thus increasing the speed, power and precision of shifting; it also ensures that the rear derailleur is always at an ideal distance from the sprockets- especially in the smaller cogs, where cage tension must deliver consistent chain wrap for reliable chainlines and zero loss in efficiency and speed while shifting.
The Campy Tech Lab engineers also created new structures to deliver the premium performance expected of Record 12x2. A connector rod has been added to the rear derailleur, as well as a UD carbon front rocker arm that further reduces the weight of the component, lends uniformity to the aesthetics, and magnifies the incredible performance of this impeccably performing rear derailleur. The rocker arm was optimized to result in the best interface with sprockets that have from 11 to 34 teeth, which enabled the need for only one rear derailleur cage length (72.5mm) to match the simplicity afforded by just two cassette offerings for the 12x2 system. Another key technical feature this derailleur design includes the use of a removable link so you if your frame has a direct mount set-up, you remove the link. Otherwise the link is always used with standard rear hanger mounts.
The jockey wheels are essential shifting, drive, and smooth running performance. Both upper and lower feature 12 teeth, with the upper pulley having longer teeth for deeper engagement to deliver on the purpose of the 3D Embrace technology. Record 12 doesn't carry the ceramic bearings of Super Record, but the Campagnolo-made stainless steel bearings are of exceptional quality, with low drag and tremendous longevity. Although Campagnolo has not included a clutch system to prevent chain slack and bounce, the engineers did build an Optimized Spring Return set-up that integrates perfectly, will not add drag the way a true clutch lock will, and functions quite well. On rough roads, the spring, which is positioned between the upper body and the pivot, absorbs the vibrations and small impacts, ensuring the chain will stay in place properly on the sprockets.
When everyday performance is consistently excellent, it can be easy to take fro granted. Such is the reputation of Record-level components. After all, when everything works exactly as it should, you barely notice it. Never has that been more true than with the Record 12 Rear Derailleur. The lightning quick shifts are precise and sure no matter what gearing decision you have to make. It is true that the advancements found in the Ergopower 12 shift system define the actions, but the rear derailleur must execute every input, regardless of the potential issues. And it works flawlessly, all while still delivering the positive mechanical feeling and sound that dedicated Campagnolo riders rely on.
- Updated 12-speed rear derailleur engineered for the 12x2 drivetrain system for function and performance regardless of cassette or ring size in any chain angle
- Upper body made of technopolymer-plastic reinforced with UD carbon
- UD carbon front rocker arm reduces weight, enhances overall performance
- Innovative shape uses 3D Embrace technology to better cradle smaller sprockets
- Main body, pivots and links are light and stiff, working perfectly together
- Cage features forged aluminum plates, for great wear, stiffness, cost effectiveness
- 12T pulleys with optimal tooth height for upper and lower, steel bearings
- One cage length; works with any 12x2 chainring combination all 12-speed Campagnolo cassettes with up to a 34T large cog (new with this 2020 release)
- Hardware is largely stainless steel to resist corrosion, deliver durability
- Hex key inner/outer limit, and cage position screws
- Spring positioned between upper body the pivot absorbs the vibrations improving chain tension and reducing chain bounce on cogs
- Hanger mount link can be removed for direct mount framesets
- Considered a Medium cage length (up to 34T large cog)
- Finish: UD Carbon/Black (with Record 12 logo)
- Weight: 221 grams