Campagnolo Super Record 12 Ergopower Hydro with Caliper
The Super Record 12 Speed Ergopower Hydro Lever serves up a more upright structure which allowed Campy engineers to create new lever blade shapes, options, and pivot points. The slightly outboard angle of the levers make braking and downshifting quicker, with less leverage, but without compromising the Campy feel. The curves of the brake blade have been refined and feel more intuitive, with a better tactile feel and allowances for single or multi-finger disc braking, and because the downward angle has changed from the pivot, the inboard shift lever doesn't make contact with the handlebar.
Of course the reduced cog to cog shifting of a 12-speed drivetrain assists in the speed aspect, but the engineers also removed the free-stroke feature formerly used so cable action begins immediately with the shorter lever throw and the responses are both positive and sure at the finger- never soft or indistinct. That is crucial with the 12-speed system. The ability for multi-shift efficiency and speed enables upshifting up to 3 sprockets at a time and downshifting up to 5 through the proven Ultra-Shift mechanism. It was great for 11-speed and even better for 12-speed. The thumb button itself has been extended forward, which feels more natural, while the internal mechanism has been improved for 12-speed as well. While there has always been a true mechanical ratchet-type feel, the contact points are more immediate and the action more precise.
Comfort on the levers can never be compromised for cyclists at any level. The Vari-Cushion hood technology offers an ergonomic, comfortable, safe base of support and grip, ideal for all riders and most crucial to those who are in the saddle for many hours on a daily or regular basis. Vari-Cushion uses variable thickness material and shapes to feel supportive, yet forgiving, but never soft or squishy. The material also helps to reduce vibration transfer and reduce the effects of impacts from the front wheel to the hands. The textured lines provide grip when wet or dry, and offer a great feel with thinner gloves, which pro cyclists generally prefer. The material itself is hydrophilic so it even if it's wet or sweaty it provides grip. Durability is also excellent for the most contacted item on the bike. The shape of the top of the body through the lever pivot zone has changed to add a little more height at the front, for better control and a less cramped feeling, especially when out of the saddle. The design feels more natural and has less of an angled inward face and more of a hook at the top. The more gradual curve had seemed like a positive on 11-speed but forced Campagnolo to make other compromises. Ergopower 12 addresses that challenge and the new shape has been quickly identified and embraced by Campy-ophiles.
From a braking perspective the lever throw is clearly not the only change. The hydraulic disc brake system is refined from the 11-speed HO option and carries the Magura influence forward, with a mineral oil fluid system and powerful calipers with unique features. An Adjustable Modulation System allows for long and short travel lever settings based on finger/hand size of the cyclist, reflecting 16mm of lever reach micro-adjustability These flat-mount calipers ensure powerful, modular braking in any situation owing to one primary part, the phenolic resin 22mm diameter pistons, which are huge for a road disc brake caliper. Brake pad return is again innovative and guaranteed by a magnetic system that ensures that there is no friction at the time of brake lever release- the pad retreats immediately, ready for the next lever input. This works more effectively and consistently than pad spring designs. A special metal plate positioned between the pad and the caliper piston, cushions the vibrations during braking and evenly distributes pressure while ensuring the magnetic return. The available power and feel are excellent, with a different response than any other road disc brake system
Campagnolo has also developed a new shift cable and housing set along with Ergopower 12 that they claim reduces friction win the system and is even more durable than ever, intending to be the most long-lasting shift cable and housing set-up on the market. The hydraulic brake system includes the hydraulic hose, fittings, and mineral oil fluid to get set-up. The Super Record 12 Speed Ergopower Levers are true step forward and adding hydraulic disc braking just ups the ante, yet will be both familiar and trusted by dedicated Campagnolo riders while inducing more cyclists to "go Campy" and embrace the fantastic hydraulic disc braking system.
- Mechanical/hydraulic 12x2 Speed Disc Brake control lever/caliper with ergonomics, comfort, control, precision
- Lever/caliper combination, sold as a unit, for each side, with Flat Mount caliper
- Improved design & enhancements complement ergonomics, 12x2 drivetrain
- “One lever-one action” concept assigns one function to each lever
- Comfortable Vari-Cushion hoods enable a solid, safe grip at all times
- Multiple cog changes via Ultra-Shift; upshifting up to 3 sprockets at a time and downshifting up to 5
- Forward extension of thumb lever shape for better positioning
- Brake levers introduce a double curvature to improve grip, feel, leverage
- Two brake lever positions- for choice in lever-handlebar distance by hand size
- Smooth, precise, fast shifting and disc braking with positive feel and response
- Super Record level hardware and springs for superior durability and long use cycle
- Sold as a set: Right and Left Ergopower 12x2 levers, shift cableset 12 with ferrules, front derailleur housing inline cable adjuster, hydraulic disc brake hose, fittings
- Sold Individually: Right Lever with Caliper (160mm or 140mm versions) or Left Lever with Caliper (160mm only)
- Color: UD Carbon/Black
- Weight: 463 grams lever/caliper (actual, full length hose)