This Cervelo Aspero complete bike has been a frame-up build conceived and executed by Excel Sports. It features Shimano's 2x11 speed GRX 810 Limited Edition silver groupset that pops nicely off the Satin Black frameset with it's simple silver Cervelo logo. We have built a small number of these bikes for those looking for something aesthetically unique; perhaps you?
As one of the first bikes to feature Shimano’s GRX gravel equipment, the Cervelo Aspero traveled "roads" rarely ridden, and helped demonstrate the features and durability value of GRX. The GRX 810-LE series equips a 2x silver finish groupset that is augmented by Ritchey cockpit components, while the Reynolds ATR wheelset carries you further and faster. GRX 800 series components have been developed to handle the abuse and harsh conditions of true gravel riding, yet function with the consistent precision and efficiency of the Ultegra-level.
Inspiration from the Aspero frame construction and features has come from several Cervelo models, yet the design has been engineered from the frame up for the race gravel concept for which it was conceived. The toptube shares the shape and a hidden 2-bolt SmartPak bag mount of the P5 that is compatible with several aero and storage bags available today. The internal reference design points exemplify elements of Cervelo's best engineering to date, and all serve the gravel race concept: fit, speed, balance, handling, and set-up flexibility.
That said, it is the engineering behind the frame geometry, fork design, an adjustable trail set-up, and overall frame stability that define the Aspero. One major goal was to provide the clearance necessary for 650b x 51mm tires, or 700c x 43mm tires with at least 4mm on either side to spare. This was accomplished in a few key ways. Up front the fork legs have a new carbon lay-up and shaping from the large 12mm thru-axle dropout on up, with an integrated crown that isn't as vertically thick as you'd expect, yet still inherently strong and gravel ready with great rounded tire clearance. Cervelo also was able to maintain a balanced front-center measurement by elongating the top tube, maintaining a road-oriented seattube angle, and proper trail via an adjustable front dropout design. The center of gravity (COG) is moved rearwards, as the headtube angles are more gravel/cyclocross than road. The headtube itself was kept essentially at R-Series road lengths per size, which means that the forward cockpit position feels more like a road bike fit. At the rear triangle a 420mm chainstay length was achieved with a dropped chainstay design and a seat-tube cut-out.
The engineers were particularly focused on making sure the Aspero handled properly. The concept of fork "Trail" is best known in the mountain bike world, but is relevant across all cycling. Cervelo is using what they call their Trail Mixer system to allow the rider to keep effective Trail at 62mm. Larger variations in tire size effect the rearward position of the tire- affecting handling and toe-overlap clearance. By using off center, bolt-in 12mm thru-axle drop outs, the rider can select the +5 forward position or the -5 rear position of the axle. With a 700x42 gravel tire set-up the +5mm forward is the proper position for best active handling and nimble bike control. If you moved it to the -5mm rearward position, it would slow the handling down. The principles of Trail set-up come down to the outside diameter of a mounted tire and desired handling characteristics to determine your Trail Mixer set-up.
The use of the modified Squoval.Max tubeset is clear with the Aspero featuring a substantially larger downtube and massive bottom bracket junction over the R-Series. The integrated fork crown and downtube design resembles the Dropped Downtube of the aero bikes but it seems more functional for strength and visual balance from the tapered headtube through the downtube. The seattube features a squared back, cut-out design, but carries a 27.2mm round seatpost, which can provide more vertical compliance and offers more options. Everything, from the dropped, oversized chainstays, slightly curved, shaped aero seatstays, rear dropouts and Flat Mount disc interface are all stouter for increased strength and torsional stiffness. A modified Future Proof cable guide and internal routing system has an option for a cabled or hydraulic dropper seatpost, and a bolt-on downtube protector handles the debris coming off the front wheel.
This Excel Sports build Aspero GRX 810 Disc Bicycle features a 2x11 GRX Limited Edition silver groupset. Crisp, precise mechanical shifting is complemented by the power and feel of the GRX hydraulic disc brakes. The 700c Reynolds ATR Carbon Wheelset is graced with Panaracer Gravel King SK TLR 700x38 tires tires keep you in control on the ground, while the Ritchey cockpit and Selle San Marco saddle round out your riding position on this impressive package.Return to Top
- Wonderfully capable, Excel Sports conceived and built carbon gravel race bike with an 11s 2x Shimano GRX 810 Limited Edition groupset
- Lower, more stable road-like feel from overall geometry, chainstay length, BB drop
- Longer toptube moves COG back; low forward position; 62mm optimal Trail
- Accepts 700c x 43mm tires / 650b x 51mm tires; minimum 4mm side clearance
- Trail Mixer fork dropouts can be switched for +/- 5mm selectable fork offset
- Basic Rule (For 700c): Small(OD)= -5, Big(OD)= +5
- Forward position=decreased trail=faster handling
- Rearward position=increased trail=slower handling
- Squoval.Max inspired tube designs, enlarged and enhanced for rough surfaces
- Full carbon tapered fork designed for Aspero, with thru-axle, Flat Mount disc
- Large downtube BBright shell transition deftly into oversized dropped chainstays
- Carbon lay-up, stay design, round seatpost, larger volume tires contribute to rider comfort
- Internal routing, downtube hose guide; option for cabled/hydraulic dropper post
- Bolt-on downtube frame protector; 2-bolt toptube bag mount
- Cervelo Indexed Thru-Axles w/ Lever: 12/100mm fork, 12/142mm rear
- Groupset: Shimano 11spd GRX 810-Limited Edition Silver; mechanical 2x11 with hydraulic disc
- Shift/Brake levers: GRX ST-RX810-LE Right & Left 11-speed Dual Control shift/brake
- Disc Brake Caliper / Rotors: GRX BR-RX810-LE Flat Mount / RT-MT800 Center Lock 160mm Front/140mm Rear
- Rear Derailleur: GRX RD-RX810-LE, for 2x; Compatible with 11-32, 11-34 11-speed Shimano road cassettes
- Crankset / BB: GRX FC-RX-810-LE 48/31T /Wheels MFG BBRight AC, 24mm Shimano
- Cassette / Chain:Shimano CS-HG800 11-34T, 11-34T / CN701 11s w/QuickLink
- Wheelset: Reynolds ATR Carbon TL Disc, 40mm Profile, 23mm IRW, 32mm ERW; HG11
- Handlebar: Ritchey Comp Butano alloy 31.8
- Bar Tape: Supacaz Super Sticky Kush Classic Bar Tape, Black
- Stem: Ritchey Comp 4-Axis-44, 31.8mm; Black, 90mm 84°
- Seatpost: Cervelo SP24 Carbon
- Saddle: San Marco Aspide Racing Xsilite Open-Fit; Narrow
- Thru-Axles: Cervelo Indexed w/ Lever: for 12/100mm fork, 12/142mm rear
- Accessories: Smartpak 400A Top Tube Storage Bag
- Component specifics by available frame size
- 56cm Bar: 44cm c-c, Stem: 90mm, Crank: 172.5mm, Seatpost: Setback
- Sizes: 56cm
- Color: Satin Black
- Weight: 19.2 lbs (56cm)
|Top Tube Length||512mm||532mm||553mm||575mm||591mm||608mm|
|Head Tube Length||83mm||107mm||133mm||159mm||188mm||314mm|
|Bottom Bracket Drop||78.5mm||78.5mm||76mm||76mm||73.5mm||73.5mm|