Cervelo Caledonia 105 Disc Bicycle 2021
Great performance and function at an accessible price. This is the purpose of the Caledonia 105 R7020 Bicycle. Cervelo's drive to create the race infused "modern road" Caledonia-series was inspired and informed by several factors. One was to develop a Paris-Roubaix capable bike for the Spring Classics, with their blend of pavement, hardpack dirt, old roads, and of course, cobblestones. Another was the realization that many cyclists deal with forced and optional transitional surfaces such as beat-up urban roads, country lanes, and hopefully some smooth, fast pavement. The now common road disc brake bikes can feature higher volume tires that can handle that versatility, and we all now know that larger tires can be an asset in almost every situation, features lower rolling resistance, offer comfort stability and control. This great riding bike delivers versatility, speed and pure enjoyment.
To create road race-level performance in a frameset design that can accommodate 700x34 tires, a new geometry was required, and while pure road race designs for pavement can have fast handling, that affects stability when multi-surface versatility is required. The Caledonia-series meets these requirements, while also delivering necessary compliance, excellent power transfer, and a handling balance that still allows for fast, tight corners and curving descents, while delivering safer control when needed. This is truly a modern road design, built for serious enthusiasts, racers, and any road cyclist who loves to string together rides that aren't limited to smooth pavement.
The internal inspirations for the Caledonia were the team-only R3 Mud, the 2019 R3, and the Aspero. Each of these designs offered features that the modern road bike required, but none were optimal. With a library of proven aero and Squoval tube shapes as well as refined carbon lay-up processes, Cervelo's engineers built the Caledonia concept. You can see the combination of tubes that reflect the understanding of managing deflection, delivering pedal power to the rear axle, as well as the aero transitions that save watts without compromising compliance. What you can't see is the expert application and blend of high modulus and lower modulus carbon that combine manage deflection, offer compliance, and proper lateral stiffness for a design that must be stable and confident on a range of varying surfaces.
The geometry is executed so the top-level Caledonia 5 and the standard Caledonia are the same, and both offer fit ranges within Cervelo's size ranges for most cyclists without compromising feel or handling. The Stack and Reach measurements, seat tube angles, and headtube lengths either match or are super close to the R-Series. The front-center, headtube angle and fork rake are different to accommodate the tire volume and steering, while bottom bracket height is reasonably low. All ensure proper handling and stability. It is important to note that standover height is taller than same-size R-Series due to the tire size capability and necessary clearance. The frame is still sloping, yet sits taller off the ground.
There are differences between the Caledonia and it's 5-level sibling. the Some cyclists considering a Caledonia model might strongly appreciate that this frame has a standard round tapered steerer tube and wire/housing routing instead of the 5-level's fully integrated, proprietary system. Any normal bar, stem, or round 27.2mm seatpost can be used. You aren't sacrificing tire clearance, fender/accessory mounts, or ride quality. There are some carbon and construction changes as a result, and the standard Caledonia frame is 95 grams heavier, but the cost, simplicity and features are your choice to make. The evolved geometry and handling numbers for a more stable, sure-handling ride over long hours of multi-surface riding are here. The proper carbon lay-up for deflection, control, and compliance is just as well balanced. Cervelo measures the stiffness ratings of both framesets as the same at 222 Nm/mm BB / 105 Nm/deg.
The Caledonia has internal routing through the downtube and access plates for wires, cables, housing and hydraulic hose, and can be built as a 1x or 2x mechanical or electronic drivetrain. The front derailleur tab can be removed for a clean look with a 1x set-up. The full carbon tapered Caledonia specific fork features internal routing, Flat Mount set-up for disc calipers, and a 12/100mm thru-axle interface. Integrated fender mounts make for a clean install and you can tun up to a 700x31mm tire with fenders- front and rear. The frameset comes with an IS-2 headset, and uses a 27.2mm round seatpost. The rear dropout is for a 12/142mm thru-axle. Cervelo supplies their lever action, Indexed Thru-Axles front and rear.
Shimano's 105 R7020/R7000 2x groupset features cable actuated shifting and hydraulic hose with full internal integration but the frameset can be used any other 1x/2x group- mechanical or electronic. Full build specs are listed below, and all cyclists know Ultegra is the best value in cycling, delivering consistent, precise shifts and exceptional overall reliability. Add in the Cervelo cockpit components and a Alexrims Boondocks-5D wheelset, and you have a modern road bike that delivers great rides time and time again.
- Versatile "modern road" bike with race integrity, new geometry, increased tire clearance, quick but stable handling, tuned ride and stiffness for gran fondo type endurance events and long, hard multi-surface rides
- Shimano 105 11-spd R7020/R7000 mechanical shift/hydraulic disc brake groupset
- Standard tapered headtube and round fork steerer, w/normal threadless stem
- Frameset stiffness rating: 222 Nm/mm BB / 105 Nm/deg
- Lower modulus carbon in key areas complements the high modulus materials ensure resilience, compliance
- Proper blend of Squoval and aero tube designs, matched to function/use/needs of Caledonia
- Full carbon tapered Caledonia fork (IS2 1? x 1½ headset), thru-axle dropout, Flat Mount disc
- Frame/fork accept 700x34mm tires, 700x31mm use w/ fenders on integrated frame/fork mounts
- Fork features aero integration to downtube with larger, stouter crown design
- Large downtube BBright shell transition deftly into oversized dropped chainstays
- Carbon lay-up, tube design, round seatpost, larger volume tires contribute to compliance
- Internal, integrated wire/cable/hose options for 1x, 2x drivetrains (w/removable FD mount)
- Cervelo Indexed Thru-Axles w/ Lever: 12/100mm fork, 12/142mm rear
- 11-speed 105 R7020 Levers, R7000 FD/RD, R7000 crankset 50-34T, Cervelo JY-BB 24 bottom bracket, R7000 11-34 cassette, CN-601 chain
- Mechanical shift Dual Control levers w/ hydraulic braking, R7020 Flat Mount calipers, RT66 6B 160mm rotors
- Alexrims Boondocks-5D wheelset (28h F/R, 2x all), 6-bolt, TLR, 21mm internal width
- Vittoria Zaffiro Pro V Folding G2.0 30c tires w/tubes
- Cervelo cockpit: Alloy road bar, Alloy stem, Alloy 27.2mm seatpost, Cervelo saddle
- Cervelo Accessories: Faceplate Front Comp/Acc Mount, Rear Acc Mount, Removable Fender Mounts, toptube Bento box mount
- Component specifics by frame size:
- 48cm Bar: 38c-c, Stem: 80mm, Crank: 165mm
- 51cm Bar: 40c-c, Stem: 90mm, Crank: 170mm
- 54cm/56cm Bar: 42c-c, Stem: 100mm, Crank: 172.5mm
- 58cm/61cm Bar: 44-c-c, Stem: 110mm, Crank: 175mm
- Sizes: 48, 51, 54, 56, 58, 61 cm (48, 51 have Zero offset seatpost)
- Color: Black / White, Maroon / White, Indigo / Walnut
- Weight: 19.3 lbs (51cm)
|Top Tube Length||502mm||522mm||543mm||565mm||581mm||598mm|
|Head Tube Length||89.5mm||109.9mm||136mm||162.3mm||191.2mm||217.5mm|
|Bottom Bracket Drop||76.5mm||76.5mm||74mm||74mm||71.5mm||71.5mm|