Cervelo Caledonia-5 Dura-Ace Di2 Bicycle 2022
Note: Component Specifications are subject to change due to supply chain challenges.
Cervelo knows that while there will always be a true race bike that is super light, fast, and quick-handling, the modern road bike requires capability for larger tires, with more stability- but moderately fast handling, and power transfer efficiency expected of a race bike. Yet it can still have this ultimate Dura-Ace R9270 Di2 12-speed groupset, hydraulic disc brakes, a New Reserve 40|44 carbon wheelset and a lightweight kit. This modern road bike shrugs at notorious urban roads, cobbles, chip seal, and floats over the smoothest pavement. Cervelo's understands that fast handling isn’t always better, and the how the company is evolving toward bike designs with handling and overall development informed by specific needs. The inspiration was the multi-surface Paris-Roubaix, the Spring Classic that is harder on bikes than any other race on the calendar, with zero margin for error. After drawing from some of their legendary frame history, the engineers increased the rear center, lowered the BB, and increased the trail while adding tire volume space and better rough surface deflection. Relatively speaking the handling is still fast enough to be corner and descent-friendly but with added rougher surface stability. The result is a speedy bike that is versatile and well mannered.
The creation of the Caledonia-5 began with this recognition of modern road cycling and a sense of where it is going. This complete build represents a pure endurance road bike. Caledonia is race-bred, with much more surface versatility than a Grand Tour ready design. With capacity for 34mm tires (31mm with fenders), the more stable handling, disc-only frameset has different overall geometry numbers but with Stack and Reach the same as an R-Series. The frame design and cockpit set-up allow for most cyclists a reasonable fit, and unlike with the R5/R-Series geometry differences, both Caledonia frame-level options share the same geometry. Much was learned from the years R-Series development and combined with the knowledge gained from the Aspero design process, the engineers found a great balance of speed, comfort, clearance and handling while maintaining the aesthetic cleanliness Cervelo's riders demand.
Aero considerations are just as much a part of the Caledonia as any Cervelo, as is the combination of tubes, carbon lay-up, and integrated features. The company's proven library of tube shapes is at the core of every bike design and these well tested and proven tube shapes all have different known attributes. Cervelo believes one can’t cheat physics. Triangulation and the force required to deflect is at the heart of the "double-diamond" frame design. The engineers know how their tube shapes behave, and it’s a matter of placing them in a layout that achieves the desired compliance based on that deflection. Lower modulus carbon in key areas complements the high modulus materials perfectly. Just as with the change in handling speed over less than pure paved surfaces, the design team is aware that if cyclists are more comfortable, they’ll be more confident. In the Caledonia 5 you'll see the tapered aero headtube, use of Squoval and aero tube shapes, D-shaped carbon post, and a new fork and steerer.
The full length C-shaped integrated steerer comes evolves from an earlier S3, with a unique split ring allowing semi-internal brake hose routing from the HB13 Carbon bar, into a familiar but proprietary stem design with a specific steerer interface (which fits onto the C-shaped steerer) for a fully internal cable routing system. The stem design allows you to change the stack height using a C-Shape split spacer system, for above and below the stem. The entire fork is all new for the Caledonia-5, but has features you'd expect: Flat Mount disc, 12/100mm thru-axle, as well as integrated fender mounts. You find these on the rear and well, along with 12/142mm rear dropout. The lever action Cervelo Indexed Thru-Axles are easy to use; for quick and secure wheel changes.
The pure pleasure and performance of the R9200-series 12-speed Dura-Ace Di2 shifting system will create the most natural gear changing process you have ever felt. The shifters are wireless, for a simplified cockpit installation, while the derailleurs are each wired directly into the internal seatpost battery. Shimano believes in this powerful set-up, with the battery providing well over a thousand miles of shifting use before requiring a re-charge, which is now delivered through the rear derailleur-located magnetic port. Add in a hydraulic braking, a great wheelset, and Cervelo carbon cockpit and your first Caledonia-5 ride may not only be your longest, but you'll drive it with precision and efficiency.
- Versatile "modern road" bike with race-grade build, new geometry, increased tire clearance, quick but stable handling, tuned ride and stiffness for gran fondo type endurance events and long, hard multi-surface rides
- Shimano Dura-Ace R9270 Di2 shifting (wireless cockpit, wired rear) / hydraulic disc brake groupset
- Frameset stiffness rating: 222 Nm/mm BB / 105 Nm/deg
- Higher grade UD carbon used in Caledonia-5 to save weight, add performance
- Lower modulus carbon in key areas complements the high modulus materials ensure resilience, compliance
- Proper blend of Squoval and aero tube designs, matched to function/use/needs of Caledonia
- Frame/fork accept 700x34mm tires, 700x31mm use w/ fenders on integrated frame/fork mounts
- Fork features aero integration to downtube with larger, stouter crown design, internal routing
- Large downtube BBright shell transition deftly into oversized dropped chainstays
- Carbon lay-up, tube design, D-Shape carbon seatpost, larger volume tires contribute to compliance
- Cervelo Indexed Thru-Axles w/ Lever: 12/100mm fork, 12/142mm rear
- Frameset: Caledonia carbon; tapered head tube, 12/142mm rear thru-axle dropout, Flat Mount disc
- Fork: Cervélo All-Carbon, Tapered Caledonia, 12/100mm thru-axle dropout, Flat Mount disc; C-shaped steerer
- Groupset: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 12spd R9270/R9250/R9200 (Semi-wireless shifting/hydraulic disc braking)
- Shift/Brake Levers: R9270 Di2 w/disc braking
- Front/Rear Derailleur: R9250 Di2, Braze-on / R9250 Di2 (Shadow, max 34T large cog)
- Brakes/Rotors: R9270 Flat Mount Calipers / RT-MT900 CL 160mm disc rotors
- Crankset/BB: R9200 52-36T / CeramicSpeed 24mm
- Cassette/Chain: CS-9200, 11-34T / CN-M9100 12spd
- Di2: Integrated wireless cockpit, SD-300 e-Tube wiring from seatpost battery to FD, RD (RD has LED/adjust, D-Fly and charging port
- Wheelset: New Reserve 40/44mm DT350, 20h (F), 24h (R), 25.4mm IRW (F), 25mm IRW (R), Center-Lock, Tubeless Ready
- Tires: Vittoria Corsa Control TLR G2.0 28mm; w/tubes
- Cervelo Cockpit: HB13 Carbon Bar, ST31 Carbon C-Shape Stem, SP24 Carbon D-Shape Seatpost, Prologo Dimension Nack
- Cervelo Accessories: Faceplate Front Comp/Acc Mount, Rear Acc Mount, Removable Fender Mounts, toptube Bento box mount
- Component specifics by frame size:
- 48cm Bar: 38c-c, Stem: 80mm, Crank: 165mm, Post: Zero offset
- 51cm Bar: 40c-c, Stem: 90mm, Crank: 170mm, Post: Zero offset
- 54cm/56cm Bar: 42c-c, Stem: 100mm, Crank: 172.5mm, Post: 15mm offset
- 58cm/61cm Bar: 44-c-c, Stem: 110mm, Crank: 175mm, Post: 15mm offset
- Color: Oasis
- Weight: tbd
|Top Tube Length||502mm||522mm||543mm||565mm||581mm||598mm|
|Head Tube Length||89.5mm||109.9mm||136mm||162.3mm||191.2mm||217.5mm|
|Bottom Bracket Drop||76.5mm||76.5mm||74mm||74mm||71.5mm||71.5mm|