Cervelo Caledonia-5 Rival AXS Bicycle 2022
Note: Component Specifications are subject to change due to supply chain challenges.
Built here with SRAM's Rival eTap AXS HRD Disc 2x drivetrain, this Cervelo Caledonia-5 bike is sleek and incredibly capable while maintaining a great price point despite the high-grade carbon frameset. The pure road cycling world is evolving, and while there will always be a true race bike that is super light, fast, and quick-handling, the modern road bike requires capability for larger tires, and more stability- but still have moderately fast handling, power transfer and efficiency. This modern road bike shrugs at notorious urban roads, cobbles, chip seal, and floats over the smoothest pavement. Enter the Caledonia-5, an exemplar of Cervelo's understanding that super fast handling isn’t always better, and the how the company is evolving toward bike designs with overall development informed by specific needs. The inspiration was the multi-surface Paris-Roubaix, the Spring Classic race that is brutal on bikes and riders, with zero margin for error. The engineers increased the rear center, lowered the BB, and increased the trail while adding tire volume space and better rough surface deflection. Relatively speaking the handling is still fast enough to be corner and descent-friendly but with added rougher-surface stability. The is a design that is versatile and well mannered.
This is a pure endurance race bike, unlike the previous C-Series endurance options, which were great bikes with more relaxed geometry, and greater comfort. Caledonia-5 is race-bred, with much more riding versatility than a Grand Tour ready design. With capacity for 34mm tires (31mm with fenders), the more stable handling, disc-only frameset has different overall geometry numbers but Stack and Reach the same as an R-Series. The frame design and cockpit set-up allow for most cyclists a reasonable fit, and unlike with the older R5/R3 geometry differences, both Caledonia frame-level options share the same geometry. Combined with the detailed knowledge gained from the Aspero design process, the engineers developed a great balance of speed, comfort, clearance and handling while maintaining the aesthetic cleanliness Cervelo's riders demand. You know it’s going to be more aero because there’s nothing interrupting the flow of air over the front end.
Aero considerations are just as much a part of the Caledonia-5 as any Cervelo, as is the combination of tubes, carbon lay-up, and integrated features. The company's proven library of tube shapes is at the core of every bike design and these well tested and proven tube shapes all have different known attributes. Cervelo believes one can’t cheat physics. Triangulation and the force required to deflect is at the heart of the "double-diamond" frame design. The engineers know how their tube shapes behave, and it’s a matter of placing them in a layout that achieves the desired compliance based on that deflection. The simplest solution is almost always the best. Lower modulus carbon in key areas complements the high modulus materials to mitigate the brittleness of hi-mod fiber- the bike isn’t delicate. The design team is aware that if cyclists are more comfortable, they’ll be more confident, and they’ll ride or race faster and further. In the Caledonia-5 you'll see the tapered aero headtube, use of Squoval and aero tube shapes, D-shaped carbon post, and a new fork and steerer.
The full length C-shaped integrated steerer comes evolves from the S3, with a unique split ring allowing internal brake hose and Di2 from the HB13 Carbon bar, into a more traditional stem (which fits onto the C-shaped steerer) for a fully internal cable routing system. The more standard stem design allows you to change the stack height using a split spacer system, allowing for spacers above and below the stem. If you have a summer/race fit, you can go lower, but for indoor training or winter riding position, you can bring the stem up easily. Of course the entire fork is all new for the Caledonia-5, with features you'd expect: Flat Mount disc, 12/100mm thru-axle, as well as integrated fender mounts. You find these on the rear and well, along with 12/142mm rear dropout. The lever action Cervelo Indexed Thru-Axles are easy to use; quick for wheel changes.
SRAM's Rival AXS groupset features the 12-speed eTap wireless shifting, so internal wiring isn't necessary, but the frame and fork are fully internal for any other 1x/2x group, as well as the hydraulic hoses for the disc brakes. Group specs and kit items are listed below, but most cyclists know that up-designed Rivals eTap AXS is one of the hottest groups on the market, and it is well matched with Cervelo cockpit components and a Tubeless Ready DT Swiss E1800 32 Spline Alloy Disc Wheelset.
- Modern road race-level bike with new geometry, increased tire clearance, quick but stable handling and tuned ride and stiffness for serious endurance events and training sessions
- SRAM Rival eTap AXS 12s HRD groupset w/charger/batteries
- Aero integration of stem, headtube, steerer, but more easily adaptable for range of fit requirements
- Stiffness: 222 Nm/mm BB / 105 Nm/deg
- Higher grade UD carbon used in Caledonia-5 to save weight, add performance
- Lower modulus carbon in key areas complements the high modulus materials ensure resilience, compliance
- Proper blend of Squoval.Max and aero tube designs, matched to function/use of Caledonia-5
- Full carbon tapered Caledonia-5 fork (w/ FSA IS2 1-1/4 x 1-1/2 headset), 12/100mm TA, Flat Mount disc
- Frame/fork accept 700x34mm tires, 700x31mm use w/ fenders on integrated frame/fork mounts
- Fork features aero integration to downtube with larger, stouter crown design
- C-shaped steerer with split washer/spacer designs rout housing/wires from stem into frame
- Large downtube BBright shell transition deftly into oversized dropped chainstays
- Carbon lay-up, stay design, D-shaped carbon seatpost, larger volume tires all contribute to compliance
- Internal, integrated wire/cable/hose options for 1x, 2x drivetrains (w/ removable FD mount)
- Cervelo Indexed Thru-Axles w/ Lever: 12/100mm fork, 12/142mm rear
- Note: Component Specifications are subject to change without notice due to supply chain challenges
- Groupset: Rival eTap AXS HRD 12-speed; charging dock
- Shift/Brake levers: Rival eTap AXS HRD disc braking
- Derailleurs: Rival eTap AXS Front (braze-on), Rear (both with eTap battery)
- Crankset/BB: Rival AXS 48/35T, DUB bottom bracket
- Cassette: Rival XG1250 10-36T XDR
- Chain: Rival Flattop 12s
- Brakeset: Rival HRD flat mount calipers, SRAM CenterLine 160mm CL disc rotors
- Wheelset: DT Swiss E1800 32 Spline, 24h F/R, 20mm IRW, Center Lock disc, Tubeless Ready
- Tires: Vittoria Rubino Pro TLR G2.0, 700x30, w/tubes
- Cervelo cockpit: HB13 Carbon handlebar, ST32 Alloy Stem, SP24 Carbon Seatpost
- Saddle: Prologo Dimension STN
- Cervelo Accessories: Faceplate Front Comp/Acc Mount, Rear Acc Mount, Removable Fender Mounts
- Component specifics by frame size:
- 48cm Bar: 38c-c, Stem: 80mm, Crank: 165mm
- 51cm Bar: 40c-c, Stem: 90mm, Crank: 170mm
- 54cm/56cm Bar: 42c-c, Stem: 100mm, Crank: 172.5mm
- 58cm/61cm Bar: 44-c-c, Stem: 110mm, Crank: 175mm
- Sizes: 48, 51, 54, 56, 58, 61 cm (48, 51 have Zero offset seatpost, all others have 15mm setback)
- Color: Five Black
- Weight: TBD
|Top Tube Length||502mm||522mm||543mm||565mm||581mm||598mm|
|Head Tube Length||89.5mm||109.9mm||136mm||162.3mm||191.2mm||217.5mm|
|Bottom Bracket Drop||76.5mm||76.5mm||74mm||74mm||71.5mm||71.5mm|