R5-CX Force eTAP AXS Bicycle 2023
Welcome the Cervelo R5-CX to the family! This is the frameset many Cervelo road and cyclocross racers have been waiting for. Built here into a complete bike with a 1x12 SRAM Force eTap AXS HRD build, crossers won't have to deal with wires, cables or a front derailleur but have enough top and bottom gearing to power through the most diverse cross courses. The wireless drivetrain only R5-CX debuted on the World Cup under Marianne Vos with a commanding win at Waterloo followed by another top step in Iowa. It has since added 13 wins under both Vos and Wout van Aert, including National and Worlds titles. You may not measure up to the world's best, but you can certainly ride the same frameset and a pro-level build tike this Force eTap AXS model.
You might recall that this isn’t Cervelo's first ‘cross bike. In 2007, the company made two R3 Cross frames for Jonathan Page, one of which he rode straight to being the first American on a World Cup Podium. Like the R3 Cross, the R5-CX draws much of its performance and design from the R5, but with some key differences. The handling and fit are unique to this model, and based on Wout and Marianne’s input. And while Cervelo has kept the asymmetric cups of BBRight, they've threaded them into a T47-sized hole. While a unique-to-Cervelo implementation, it uses standard inboard and outboard T47 bottom bracket cups.
The D-shaped seat post (with double clamps, stock), not only adds compliance but was a specific request from the pros' to keep the saddle facing forward in the event of a crash and limit potential slippage from harsher remounts. All cables route internally for 1x or 2x use, and the frame is only compatible with electronic drivetrains to limit grit and water ingress. The tubeset carries the shapes of the R5's updated Squoval.Max design, but with directed strength and compliance in some tube sizes and the carbon lay-up that match the extreme race day requirements of cross racers. The square-oval mildly aero down and top tubes come cleanly off the fully integrated headtube and offset aero fork crown design, for a very sleek effect. Aero ins't the primary goal, but the best combination of power and efficiency equals pure performance. The R5-CX fork is a 5-series proprietary model with the internal routing system allowed for by the C-shaped fork steerer system. The matching Cervelo ST31 Carbon stem is stout, won't rotate in an impact, and carries the supplied HB13 Carbon handlebar for ideal front end control and bar security. The split spacer system allows for easy vertical cockpit adjustment for fit set-up and adjustments.
The frame geometry is cyclocross specific, with a Bottom Bracket drop 11mm higher than the road frame design. It has been conceived around UCI-legal 33mm cyclocross tires. This is not a gravel bike, but a true cross design. You do get considerable 10mm of space on both sides of such a tire, as well as plenty over the top. This isn't for training day fenders or a larger tire volume, but for mud clearance. The seattube angles vary with size, and the headtube angle and fork trail are consistent across the 51, 54, and 56 cm sizes. Toptube length is a little shorter than a comparable road bike, for a cockpit set-up that favors a longer stem for greater leverage and control. The fork trail is the same across all sizes at 58.7mm, but the 71.5 degree headtube angle of the three smaller sizes moves to 72 degrees on the 58, which also has a slightly different fork rake. The seattube angles vary with size. In other words, the handling characteristics across all sizes should effectively be the same. Each size has a 425mm chainstay length, which with the asymmetric chainstays, featuring a stouter, stiffer drive-side stay, delivers incredible drivetrain response- crucial to the continual and immediate accelerations required when racing, as well as for powering through the sand and mud.
Compliance comes from the carbon lay-up, thin tubular seatstays and the engineered flex and absorption of the Cervelo SP24 Carbon seatpost. With this Force build Cervelo has opted for a short length, supportive, but comfortable and stable Selle Italia Flite Boost SuperFlow saddle with forgiving hollow 316 titanium rails. The 1x12 eTap wireless AXS drivetrain features a 40T chainring on a Force AXS Power Meter equipped crank-arm set, mated to a 10-33T cassette. The HRD disc braking system has proven to be effective in all conditions, with an adjustable set-up, and easily controls the 160mm Paceline CL disc rotors. That control is directly at the Reserve 40|44 Carbon wheelset, which features Zipp's 76/176 hubset, which has some of the best external seals for cross conditions. The wheelset is fast, will cut through the mud and sand features modern internal widths for cross tires and offers a secure hooked bead tubeless tire set-up. Reserve uses internally reinforced spoke holes to strengthen areas where the most force affects the rim- around the spoke nipple. The carbon Cervelo cockpit and Panaracer CGCX tires round out this 16.9lb (54cm) build.
- R5-inspired/informed, CX-specific Force AXS 1x12 race bike built off an 850g (56cm) frame, with Reserve carbon wheels and a race-day kit
- Designed to have 10mm of space on both sides of a UCI-legal 33mm tire for major mud clearance
- D-Shaped Cervelo carbon post won't twist in event of impact, and features a dual clamp system to prevent slippage at remounts
- FSA Headset for proprietary C-Shaped steerer with internal routing; IS2 1¼" x 1½"
- BBright threaded shell for T47 threaded bottom bracket
- Frameset: Cervelo R5-CX full carbon Frame/Fork for Flat Mount Disc, Thru-axles, wireless shfiting only 1x or 2x set-up w/ removable braze-on mount, includes all frame parts; RD hangers for standard (installed) or direct mount installation
- Groupset: SRAM Force eTap AXS wireless shifting/ HRD disc braking
- Shift | Brake levers: Force eTap AXS |Force HRD Hydraulic Disc
- Rear Derailleur: Force eTap AXS
- Crankset | BB: Force 1 AXS 40T, DUB, w/ Power Meter | SRAM DUB, BBright T47 threaded
- Cassette | Chain: Force 1275 10-33T (XDR) |Force Flattop 12s
- Calipers | Rotors: Force Disc Brake calipers, Flat Mount | 160mm Campagnolo AFS
- Wheelset: Reserve 40/44 Carbon w/Zipp hubset; Center Lock disc, tubeless compatible
- Front: Reserve 40, 25.5mm IRW, Zipp 76 hub, external contact seals, 12x100mm, 24H
- Rear: Reserve 44, 25mm IRW, Zipp 176 hub, external contact seals, 12x142mm, 3-pawl 36 POE, XDR freehub, 24H
- Tires: Panaracer CGCX TLC; 700x33c
- Cervelo / Selle Italia Cockpit
- Handlebar: HB13 Carbon, 31.8mm clamp
- Stem: ST31 Carbon, 31.8mm
- Seatpost: SP24 Carbon; D-Shaped, 15mm offset
- Saddle: Selle Italia Flite Boost SuperFlow Ti
- Tape: Cervelo Grip, Black
- Cervelo Accessories: Faceplate Front Computer/Acc Mount, Rear Acc Mount
- Note: Component Specifications are subject to change due to supply chain challenges
- Component specifics by frame sizes available:
- 51cm | Bar: 40c-c, Stem: 90mm, Crank: 170mm
- 54cm | Bar: 42c-c, Stem: 100mm, Crank: 172.5mm
- 56cm | Bar: 42c-c, Stem: 100mm, Crank: 172.5mm
- 58cm | Bar: 44c-c, Stem: 110mm, Crank: 175mm
- Color: Frost
- Weight: Bike 16.9lbs (54cm) | Frame 850g / Fork 360g (56cm)
|Top Tube Length||517mm||536mm||566mm||574mm|
|Head Tube Length||114mm||137mm||163mm||192mm|
|Bottom Bracket Drop||63mm||63mm||63mm||63mm|
|2023- Only 4 sizes offered|