Welcome the Cervelo R5-CX to the family! This is the frameset many Cervelo road and cyclocross racers have been waiting for. As delivered crossers won't have to deal with wires, cables or a front derailleur (if a 1x build is your choice) as they power through the most diverse cross courses in whatever awful conditions the weather and terrain supply. This wireless drivetrain only R5-CX debuted on the World Cup-series in 2021 under Marianne Vos with a commanding win at Waterloo followed by another top step in Iowa. Through August 2022, it added 13 wins combined under both Vos and Wout van Aert, including National and Worlds titles. You may not measure up to the world's best, but you can certainly ride the same frameset and build it up with the premium groupset and wheelset of your choice.
Some of you might recall that this isn’t Cervelo's first cross bike. In 2007, the company made two R3 Cross frames for Jonathan Page, one of which he rode straight to being the first American on a World Cup Podium. Like the R3 Cross, the R5-CX draws much of its performance and design from the R5, but with some key differences. The geometry, handling and fit are unique to this model, and based on Wout and Marianne’s input. And while Cervelo has kept the asymmetric design of the BBright bottom bracket junction, the engineers opted for a threaded oversized T47-sized aluminum shell. While this a unique-to-Cervelo implementation, it uses standard inboard and outboard T47 bottom bracket cups sized for the crankset of your choice, and Cervelo claims reversing the sides of the standard offset cups of T47 to create the proper chainline. The assembly is stiff, quiet, and easy to remove for any necessary service. While the R3 Cross was a special, capable and compliant frameset when it was designed, frame development overall has come pretty far since then, and while the essence of that special frame model is here, the power transfer, the overall torsional stiffness, and incredible handling control from the cockpit and fork system make the R5-CX a unique, impressive, course-dominating foundation of a World Champion quality complete bike.
Compliance comes from the carbon lay-up, thin tubular seatstays and the engineered flex and absorption of the Cervelo SP24 Carbon seatpost. The D-shaped post, which features double clamps (one mounts at seattube, one mounts on the post itself), not only adds compliance but was a specific request from the pros' to keep the saddle facing forward in the event of a crash and limit potential slippage from harsher remounts. All cables route internally for 1x or 2x use, and the frame is only compatible with electronic drivetrains to limit grit and water ingress. The tubeset carries the shapes of the R5's updated Squoval.Max design, but with directed strength and compliance in some tube sizes and the carbon lay-up that match the extreme race day requirements of cross racers. The square-oval mildly aero down and top tubes come cleanly off the fully integrated headtube and offset aero fork crown design, for a very sleek effect. Aero ins't the primary goal, but power and efficiency equals pure performance. The R5-CX fork is a 5-series proprietary model with the internal routing system allowed for by the C-shaped fork steerer system. The matching Cervelo ST31 Carbon stem is stout, won't rotate in an impact, and carries the supplied HB13 Carbon handlebar for ideal front end control and bar security. The split spacer system allows for easy vertical cockpit adjustment for fit set-up and adjustments.
The frame geometry is cyclocross specific, with a Bottom Bracket drop 11mm higher than the road frame design. It has been conceived around UCI-legal 33mm cyclocross tires. This is not a gravel bike, but a true cross design. You do get considerable 10mm of space on both sides of such a tire, as well as plenty over the top. This isn't for training day fenders or a larger tire volume, but for mud clearance. The seattube angles vary with size, and the headtube angle and fork trail are consistent across the 51, 54, and 56 cm sizes. Toptube length is a little shorter than a comparable road bike, for a cockpit set-up that favors a longer stem for greater leverage and control. The fork trail is the same across all sizes at 58.7mm, but the 71.5 degree headtube angle of the three smaller sizes moves to 72 degrees on the 58, which also has a slightly different fork rake. The seattube angles vary with size. In other words, the handling characteristics across all sizes should effectively be the same. Each size has a 425mm chainstay length, which with the asymmetric chainstays, featuring a stouter, stiffer drive-side stay, delivers incredible drivetrain response- crucial to the continual and immediate accelerations required when racing, as well as for powering through the sand and mud.
Our expert Excel Sports sales staff is here to help you get your R5-CX built for racing season. Don't wait to get your group and build kit together, as some of the specific parts may be more challenging to source. We have options from Shimano and SRAM for the drivetrain and braking systems, as well as Reserve's 40|44 wheelset Cervelo's bikes come with, as well as other options from Shimano, Reynolds, Enve and Zipp. Contact us at 800.627.6664 or firstname.lastname@example.org to get started.
- R5-inspired/informed, CX-specific race frameset built off an 850g (56cm) frame optimized for power transfer, CX-race handling, balance and compliance in all-conditions with hydraulic disc braking
- Squoval.Max tubeset/lay-up optimized for cyclocross requirements, geometry, compliance
- Designed to have 10mm of space on both sides of a UCI-legal 33mm tire for major mud clearance
- Cross-specific geometry with 63mm BB drop, consistent fork trail and chainstay length across all sizes
- D-Shaped Cervelo carbon post won't twist in event of impact, and features a dual clamp system to prevent slippage at remounts
- Asymmetric BBright shell and chainstays, optimized for power transfer from crankset to rear dropout, larger on driveside, shaped more on non-drive
- Frameset: Cervelo R5-CX full carbon Frame | Fork for Flat Mount Disc, 12/100mm | 12/142mm bolt-on Thru-axles (6mm tool handle provided)
- FSA Headset/compression plug for proprietary C-Shaped steerer with internal routing; IS2 1frac14;" x 1½"
- Includes split spacer system and upper headset cap spacers in two sizes
- BBright threaded shell for T47 threaded bottom bracket required (type based on crank spindle model)
- Wireless shifting drivetrain-use only for 1x or 2x systems, with hydraulic disc braking
- Removable braze-on front derailleur mount (installed), includes blank mount hole cover
- Thru-axle rear derailleur hangers for standard (installed) or direct mount installation
- Cervelo Cockpit | Accessories supplied with frame
- Handlebar: HB13 Carbon, 31.8mm clamp
- Stem: ST31 Carbon, 31.8mm
- Seatpost: SP24 Carbon; D-Shaped, 15mm offset
- Accessories: Faceplate Front Computer/Acc Mount, Rear Acc Mount
- Note: Component Specifications are subject to change due to supply chain challenges
- Component specifics by frame sizes available
- 51cm | Bar: 40c-c, Stem: 90mm
- 54cm | Bar: 42c-c, Stem: 100mm
- 56cm | Bar: 42c-c, Stem: 100mm
- 58cm | Bar: 44c-c, Stem: 110mm
- Colors: Five Black (Gloss), Frost, Moon Drop Camo
- Weight: Frame 850g | Fork 360g (56cm)
|Top Tube Length
|Head Tube Length
|Bottom Bracket Drop
|2023- Only 4 sizes offered