Cervelo R5 Dura-Ace R9270 Di2 Bicycle 2022
For late 2021, Shimano unveiled their new 12-speed Dura-Ace Di2 groupset, which pairs with the R5 frameset as a top World Tour level complete bike. The shifter system is wireless, making life easier for full integrated cockpit routing. Shimano found that a seatpost battery was still the best option for powering the front and rear derailleurs, to the rear is still wired. With the fastest, most precise and most reliable shifting system and advanced hydraulic disc braking, this 2022 Cervelo R5 Dura-Ace R9270 Di2 Bicycle will deliver you to the front with ruthless efficiency.
The Cervelo R5 has long been the all-around and mountains-oriented road race bike that complemented the company's more aerodynamic S5. Few bike concepts have been as well received in World Tour racing and with serious cycling enthusiasts as the R5, and an intimate connection between the R5 and its riders means Cervelo truly listens when they offer feedback. By using incredibly sensitive, detailed topology studies of the frameset, the highly experienced engineers at Cervelo definitively identified how, where, and which carbon choices could be applied in the lay-up process to optimize weight and ride quality without sacrificing stiffness or overall efficiency.
Cervelo developed this new R5, which had been seen in 2021 at the front of the Tour de France and Vuelta a España. Lighter, more compliant, with greater stability, increased aerodynamic efficiency and better fit/set-up concepts, the 2022 R5 frameset also delivers impressive tire clearance while maintaining the same essential geometry and handing. Yes, some of the numbers differ from the last gen, but only to accommodate the updated design and larger tire capability. This bike features a 700 gram frameset in a 56cm (15% lighter) that is ready to race and ride everyday.
The previous R5 was built to seriously improve power transfer, deliver a pro race preferred geometry, and be as efficient as possible in a non-aero bike. Pro cyclists loved the geometry, power transfer, and handling characteristics, but longed for it to be a bit lighter and more forgiving. The massive Squoval™Max downtube delivered the lateral and drivetrain stiffness required, but added some weight and impacted vertical compliance. Topology studies led to a refined carbon layup schedule, new downtube and headtube, along with fork crown and housing integration. The seatstays and upper rear triangle junction was also changed to lower the seattube/toptube junction, allowing for more exposed seatpost length- which aids in increasing vertical and ride compliance.
The super clean, fully internal housing and wiring system increases aero efficiency, as does the integrated leg taper and "chinned" crown of the new R5 fork with the downtube. With a reduced factor downtube and subtly improved Squoval™Max tubes, small gains are achieved, with a total improvement of 19 grams in reduced drag, or 2.5 watts, which may not sound like much, but the previous generation R5 was pretty efficient, and remember- the R5 is not a pure aero design- that is what the S5 delivers.
Cervelo was able to outfit the updated R5 with 34mm tire clearance, yes- really, without using a dropped driveside chainstay, by maximizing the oversized asymmetric nature of the BBright bottom bracket shell and vertically oversized chainstay design. Remember, the R5 has been strongly informed by the previous development of the R3 Mud- built for the Classics and famous for wider tire clearance, as well as the premium vertical compliance of the minimalist seatstays. A 410mm chainstay length delivers clearance but keeps the handling responsive. The designers maintained the 73mm seattube angle with a 57.5mm fork Trail on a 28mm tire in all sizes, and carry over the same size-specific Stack and Reach.
With the new, lighter R5 Carbon disc brake fork, Cervelo ships a C-shaped steerer expansion plug, which will thankfully make steerer tube height cutting a simpler task. The headset upper bearing cover now comes in a super low 7mm stack height, as well as a mid-height 22mm. By adding 30mm of the fork-specific spacers, up to a max 52mm stack height is an option. Cervelo also changed their D-shaped seatpost offerings. The new 400mm long SP24 is available in a Zero offset- shipped with 48 and 51 cm sizes, as well as a 15mm Setback version- coming with all other sizes.
With this spectacular Dura-Ace Di2 build Cervelo includes the reconceived Reserve Carbon rim disc brake wheelset. The clincher/tubeless ready design now features 24 hole front (34mm) and 24 hole rear (37mm) specific depths as well as internal widths for a better balance of low-mid profile aerodynamics and resulting improved stability and handling characteristics. These rims laced to the legendary DT Swiss 240 CL disc hubset, featuring an HG freehub, coming together to be an ideal complement to this impeccable build.
- Impressively redesigned premium grade road disc bicycle featuring newest 12-spd Dura-Ace R9270 Di2 for all-around riding with sublime performance
- 2022 R5 56cm Squoval™Max frameset (frame/fork) is 160 grams lighter than its predecessor
- Frame stiffness has been optimized for comfort and reduced weight; fork developed with improved stability
- Aero efficiency achieved total improvement of 19 grams in reduced drag, or 2.5 watts
- BBright asymmetric BB shell (79mm PF) and vertically oversized chainstays deliver impressive drivetrain power and lateral stiffness
- Full internal hydraulic hose and wire routing from bar into frame for clean, aero effect; Electronic-only cockpit (rear wiring from seattube to RD)
- Cervelo Aero (bolt-on) Thru-Axles, w/ Removable Handle Tool
- Frame: R5 road, carbon, FM disc brake (160mm max rotor), braze-on FD tab, 12/142mm Thru-axle dropout, Rear seatpost wedge
- Fork: R5 full carbon integrated, tapered, FM disc brake (160mm max), 12/100mm Thru-axle dropout
- Groupset: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 12spd R9270/R9250/R9200 (Semi-wireless shifting/hydraulic disc braking)
- Shift/Brake Levers: R9270 Di2 w/hydraulic disc braking
- Front/Rear Derailleur: R9250 Di2, Braze-on / R9250 Di2 (Shadow, Integrated D-Fly/Junction, max 34T large cog)
- Brakes/Rotors: R9270 Flat Mount Calipers, RT-MT900 CL 160mm disc rotors
- Crankset/BB: R9200 52/36 / CeramicSpeed BBr-24
- Cassette/Chain: CS-R9200, 11-30T / CN-M9100 12spd
- Di2: Integrated wireless cockpit, New e-Tube wiring from seatpost battery to FD, RD (RD has LED/adjust, D-Fly and charging port
- Wheelset: New Reserve 34/37mm DT240, 24h (F/R), 22.6mm IRW (F), 21.6mm IRW (R), CL Disc, TLR
- Tires: Vittoria Corsa TLR G2.0 700x25
- Handlebar/Tape: Cervelo HB13 Carbon, 31.8mm, semi aero, semi-internal routing, 80mm Reach, 123mm Drop / Cervelo Grip tape
- Stem: Cervelo ST31-LT Carbon, 31.8mm, C-shape steerer for internal routing
- Seatpost: Cervélo SP24 Carbon Aero (D-shape) Post
- Saddle: Prologo Scratch M5 NACK
- Cervelo Accessories: Stem Faceplate Front Computer/Acc Mount, Rear Acc Mount
- Component specifics by frame size
- 48cm | Bar width: 38c-c, Stem length: 80mm, Seatpost: Zero offset
- 51cm | Bar width: 40c-c, Stem length: 90mm, Seatpost: Zero offset
- 54cm/56cm | Bar width: 42c-c, Stem length: 100mm, Seatpost: 15mm Setback
- 58cm/61cm | Bar width: 44c-c, Stem length: 110mm, Seatpost: 15mm Setback
- Sizes offered: 48, 51, 54, 56, 58, 61, cm
- Colors: Five Black
- Weight: 15.01 lbs (51cm)
|Cervelo R5 2022|
|Top Tube Length||515mm||531mm||548mm||564mm||581mm||598mm|
|Head Tube Length||93mm||114mm||137mm||163mm||192mm||218mm|
|Bottom Bracket Drop||74.5mm||74.5mm||72mm||72mm||69.5mm||69.5mm|
|Updated design with 34mm tire clearance. Specs listed with a 28mm tire size.|