This Cervelo S5 Team bicycle has been checked out and updated as necessary by the Excel service team and it is ready to go. Full details and specifications below. The 3rd generation Cervelo S5 epitomizes this process making this S5 aero road design even more difficult to improve on.
Cervelo’s leading aerodynamics research/knowledge enhances an acute focus on rider experience and needs. The team went back to the aerodynamics drawing board and challenged themselves to see every component’s shape in fresh ways. Then, instead of continuing to refine components, they changed their focus in two ways. First, they considered entire zones on the bike, establishing four that integrated the component sections in each zone. Second, they minutely examined how bike and rider work as a total aerodynamic system. Expanding their thinking this way gave each design and engineering group far more design space in which to balance stiffness, handling, and comfort while maintaining their driving objective- delivering speed.
The results are direct and clear. Start with aerodynamic savings of 5.5 watts (42 grams of drag) achieved compared to the 2 gen S5. How about increasing head tube junction stiffness by 13% to improve handling, and a massive 25% increase in bottom bracket stiffness to deliver every pedal input as well as complement the additional head tube stiffness? If that was it, you'd have a pro tour podium worthy entry. The rider’s center of gravity was lowered via the bottom bracket, providing greater stability during high speeds and cornering. Trail length was increased also to provide greater stability, but more importantly trail values were unified across all sizes, for superior ride and handling qualities for each frame size, a particular benefit for smaller frames. The result is Stack and Reach measurements that are proportionate and appropriate for very size without compromising handling. How? Cervelo made a different size and spec fork for each frame size.
For virtually every one considering this bike, the 2019 S5's integrated CS28 V-shaped stem and aero drop carbon handlebar system has to be the focal point. It is fast, it is stiff, it is technical, and while it may be a little complicated at first glance it is actually designed to be easy to work with for electronic or mechanical shift systems, is actually far more adjustable than you might think, and it is clear the engineers considered every contingency. The entirely re-conceptualized aero cockpit achieves it's goals. Slip-in spacers can be used to adjust stem height and bar tilt without detaching any cables, making adjustment far simpler than in a typical aero bike. The stem was specifically designed to minimize the angle of cable bends, so riders get both perfect shifting/braking and the full aero benefit of hidden cables. The headset bearings are held in tension by a compression stem cap and internal tensioning rod, not a standard steerer. The rod helps support the bearing preload and gives plenty of room for running cables from the stem to the rear of the bike. The cap connects the external fork steerer and tensioning rod. Along with the tensioning rod it helps create bearing preload, incorporates cable guide holes, and provides a fork stop to prevent over-rotation. The cables pass through the center of the upper bearing and on through the space created within the head tube. This design ensures that the fork and bar rotate freely- no cable interference.
The usability of the set-up is excellent for such a deeply integrated set-up. You can change stem stack range up to 30mm (in 5mm increments). You can change the bar stack range by 2.5mm- independent of the stem, and bar pitch adjustment in two steps, to 2.5 or 5 °. The system is modular: wing, V, mount, and cap. If later you need more options, Cervelo offers a cap and mount (sold separately) for standard stems and handlebar. Other facts? You can easily run 700x28mm tires on 25mm external rim width wheels, and depending on rim (generally narrower) and actual tire measurements, you technically can fit 30mm tires.
The S5 aero post was redesigned for the frame, though it is similar to the previous version. An easy-to-use thumbwheel allows you quickly set saddle angle. Familiar S5 and Cervelo features are here: with the Extended Seattube Cutout, dropped down tube, BBright™ bottom bracket, Dropped Downtube and TrueAero™ shapes for the frame, fork, bar, and seat post. The front wheel cutout is based on a true airfoil section. The use of Flat Mount disc brake and 12mm Cervelo RAT thru-axle systems deliver consistent, perfect aligning disc brake set-ups, fast, safe wheel changes. The rear stays have an updated S5 shape coming up and out of the dropout to allow for more vertical compliance, reduced vibration.
The geometry is true road race and aggressive. The position favors the design and vice versa. This complete bicycle was an Excel Team rider's bike, and it has been regularly serviced in house here. It is in excellent condition overall, with a complete 11-speed Shimano Di2 groupset, with details below. It shows sign use, but the cassette is recent, the chain is new, and the frameset shows minor, normal signs of use. The ENVE SES 5.6 disc wheelset rides on DT 240 hubs with Continental GP4000s II 25mm tires. Please note that the S5 has a fully integrated routing system from the proprietary, modular bar-stem, all the way back. The Di2 junction is in the right bar end, and the battery is in the seatpost. If you have any other questions or will need fit changes, please contact us at 800.627.6664 or email@example.com, as the wiring, etc will need to be changed.Return to Top
- Exceptional, World Tour level S5 aero road disc brake frameset
- Full carbon, aero CFD/Wind tunnel optimized 3rd gen S5 tubeset, room for 28mm tires
- TrueAero S5 specific tubeset combines highly specific and integrated tube shapes, sizes, and features to improve aerodynamic flow across the totality of the bike
- Proven Cervelo technologies: 79mm offset BBright, ESC Extended Seattube Cutout,
- Upper and lower integrated fork/headtube, headset, stem, routing design influenced by P5X
- Tapered, external carbon S5 disc fork, 1- 1⅜ headset, special headset bearing system
- Frame/Fork: 12/142, 12/100mm RAT thru-axles, Flat Mount disc standards for 140/160mm rotors
- Carbon V-shaped modular stem- aero bar configuration, with shim-based adjustments
- Completely internal mech or electronic cabling routing and Di2 battery mount developed as S5 version of the Aero Cable Management design process
- Includes: Cervelo SP20 Carbon Aero post, CS028 Carbon V-stem-AB08 integrated aero carbon handlebar system with full internal routing down inside headtube and into the frame
- Component sizes included:
- Frame:54cm Bar width: 42c-c, Stem length: 120mm, Post offset 25mm
- R9170 Di2 Dual Control levers with R9170 disc calipers, 160mm RT900 rotors
- R9150 Di2 Front and Rear Derailleurs, e-Tube wiring, seatpost battery, bar-end Di2 junction
- Ultegra 52-36 Crankset,Ultegra11-30 cassette, CN901 Chain
- ENVE SES 5.6 disc wheelset, TLR, DT Swiss 240 hubset, 12/100, 12/142 mm
- Continental Grand Prix 4000s II 700x25 tires with tubes
- Fizik Arione R3 Kium Classic, WingFlex, Cervelo Bar Tape, BarFly outfront Garmin mount
- Size: 54cm
- Color: Black
- Weight: 16.87 lbs actual