Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2 Bicycle 2022
It is difficult to find another bicycle manufacturer that has had a greater impact on aerodynamic bike engineering and design than Cervelo. When updating models the engineers persist until they can truly eclipse an existing version. The Cervelo S5 epitomizes this process and the current S5 aero road design will be even more difficult to improve on unless the UCI's rules change. This design outstrips its predecessor in aero efficiency, weight (100 grams), ride quality, torsional stiffness, tire width capability, improved geometry/ride characteristics across all sizes, and features an incredible fork, stem, and handlebar system that give the S5 an iconic look.
Cervelo’s leading aerodynamics research/knowledge enhances an acute focus on rider experience and needs. First, the team went back to the aerodynamics drawing board and challenged themselves to see every component’s shape in fresh ways. Then, instead of continuing to refine components, they changed their focus in two ways. First, they considered entire zones on the bike, establishing four that integrated the component sections in each zone. Second, they minutely examined how bike and rider work as a total aerodynamic system. Expanding their thinking this way gave each design and engineering group far more design space in which to balance stiffness, handling, and comfort while maintaining their driving objective- delivering speed.
Start with achieving an aerodynamic savings of 5.5 watts (42 grams of drag). How about increasing head tube junction stiffness by 13% to improve handling, and a massive 25% increase in bottom bracket stiffness to deliver every pedal input as well as complement the additional head tube stiffness? When you factor in ride quality, it is game over. The rider’s center of gravity was lowered via the bottom bracket, providing greater stability during high speeds and cornering. Trail length was increased also to provide greater stability, but more importantly trail values were unified across all sizes, for superior ride and handling qualities for each frame size, a particular benefit for smaller frames. The result is Stack and Reach measurements that are proportionate and appropriate for very size without compromising handling. How did Cervelo achieve this? Simple, they made a different size and spec fork for each frame size.
Suffice to say that Cervelo has published pages and pages of technical information, testing, and explanations, which anyone can read on their site. For virtually every one considering this bike, the integrated CS28 V-shaped stem and aero drop carbon handlebar system has to be the focal point. It is fast, it is stiff, it is technical, and while it may be a little complicated at first glance it is actually designed to be easy to work with for electronic or mechanical shift systems, and it is clear the engineers considered every contingency. The entirely re-conceptualized aero cockpit achieves it's goals. Slip-in spacers can be used to adjust stem height and bar tilt without detaching any cables, making adjustment far simpler than in a typical aero bike. The V-shaped stem makes it possible to fully hide shift cables or Di2 wires. The stem was specifically designed to minimize the angle of cable bends, so riders get both perfect shifting/braking and the full aero benefit of hidden cables. The headset bearings are held in tension by a compression stem cap and internal tensioning rod, not a standard steerer. The cables pass through the center of the upper bearing and on through the space created within the head tube. This design ensures that the fork and bar rotate freely- no cable interference, but a stop system prevents over-steering.
The usability of the set-up is excellent. You can change stem stack range up to 30mm (in 5mm increments). You can change the bar stack range by 2.5mm- independent of the stem, and bar pitch adjustment in two steps, to 2.5 or 5 °. The system is modular: wing, V, mount, and cap. If later you need more options, Cervelo offers a cap and mount (sold separately) for standard stems and handlebar. Other facts? You can easily run 700x28mm tires, but you technically can fit 30mm tires. On the aero seatpost, an easy-to-use thumbwheel allows you quickly set saddle angle. Familiar S5 and Cervelo features are here: with the Extended Seattube Cutout, dropped downtube, BBRight™ bottom bracket shell, and TrueAero™ shapes for the frame, fork, bar, and seat post. The front wheel cutout is based on a true airfoil section. The use of Flat Mount disc brake standards keeps everything clean and tucked away, while Cervelo's choice of aero 12mm thru-axles ensures secure wheel changes. The rear stays have a refined shape coming up and out of the dropout to allow for more vertical compliance, reduced vibration.
Shimano's updated and improved 12-Speed Ultegra Di2 system is lighter, faster shifting, and even more precise than ever. Cervelo's Reserve 50 aero carbon wheelset carries DT Swiss 350 CL disc Star Ratchet hubs. This S5 was built for race-level performance and speed out of the box, and delivers on Cervelo's commitment to creating the most efficient, best riding road bikes.
Note: The S5 bikes require our oversized Ready to Ride Shipping box. Contact us with questions at 800.667.6664 or email@example.com.
- Exceptional S5 aero road bike designed for race performance; equipped with 12-speed Ultegra Di2 R8100-series groupset
- Full carbon, aero CFD/Wind tunnel optimized S5 tubeset
- Fork, headset, stem design influenced by super aero P5X
- Tapered, external carbon S5 disc fork, 1"x1⅜" tapered headset
- S5 Carbon Frame/Fork: 12/142 / 12/100mm Thru-axle spacing, Flat mount disc brakes, braze-on front derailleur, PF BBright BB shell
- Proprietary carbon V-shaped modular stem and aero road bar system
- All wiring/housing routing is internal; seatpost holds internal battery
- Groupset: Ultegra 12s Di2 R8170/R8150/R8100 w/ hydraulic disc braking
- Shift/Brake Levers: R8170 Dual Control levers for Di2/hydraulic disc use; wireless shifting signal
- Derailleurs & Di2: R8150 Front (braze-on) and Rear derailleurs; RD features controls/junction/charging port/DFly; FD and RD are each directly SD300 wired to BT-DN300 internal seatpost battery
- Crankset/BB: R8100 52-36 Hollowtech II / Ceramic Speed BBright 24
- Cassette/Chain: R8100 11-30T / CN-M8100 12s
- Brake Calipers/Disc Rotors: R8170 FM mineral oil / RT-MT800, 160mm
- Wheelset: Reserve Carbon 50mm w/ DT350-CL, 24h FT/RR; 21mm IRW, Center Lock Disc, TLR
- Tires: Vittoria Corsa TLR G2.0 700x25c w/tubes
- Stem/Bar assembly: Cervelo Carbon SP-20 Aero post, C28 V-Stem, AB08 Aero Road bar
- Saddle/Tape: Prologo Dimension NACK, Cervelo Tape
- Accessories: Stem Faceplate Front Computer/Acc Mount, Cervelo Rear Acc Mount
- Thru-axles: Cervelo Aero 12/100, 12/142
- Tire clearance: 30mm (varies with tire/rim combo)
- Component specifics by frame size
- 48cm Bar width: 38c-c, Stem length: 80mm, Crank length: 165mm
- 51cm Bar width: 40c-c, Stem length: 90mm, Crank length: 170mm
- 54cm/56cm Bar width: 42c-c, Stem length: 100mm, Crank length: 172.5mm
- 58cm/61cm Bar width: 44-c-c, Stem length: 110mm, Crank length: 175mm
- Color: Five Black
- Weight: 17.28 lbs
|Top Tube Length||520mm||535mm||550mm||565mm||581mm|
|Head Tube Length||69mm||87mm||109mm||130mm||157mm|
|Bottom Bracket Drop||72.5mm||72.5mm||70mm||70mm||67.5mm|
|Applies to all S5 disc brake models since 2019, including 2023 release.|