ENVE AG25 Carbon Wheelset
Enve's AG25 Carbon Wheelset is from their awesome, but cost-effective, Foundation series. The Adventure/Gravel design has been optimized by tire size and usage, matched with rim widths and expected tire choices. So the AG25 is the 700c model, with a 25mm internal rim width, while the AG28 is the 650b model, with a 28mm internal rim width. The AG25 best operates on tires from 36-50mm, and although it only has a 21mm depth, it- like all the other Foundation rims has been created with a a balance of aerodynamics, footprint, load, and use requirements.
The Foundation series wheels carry the benefits of Enve's SES aerodynamic research and development. The rim shapes derived from over 10 years of SES development and validated with both CFD and wind-tunnel testing. The Foundation rim shapes deliver aero efficiency and cross wind stability on par with best in class SES models and feature modern wide rim shapes optimized for aero performance. That varies with rim height and design purpose, of course, but it is only one aspect of the rim construction. Enve is the only wheel brand with anti-pinch flat protection that is built into the hookless carbon rims. This means no inserts are required, fewer tires will be destroyed, and more time will be spent riding while enjoying a 30% increase in impact strength and a 60% improvement in pinch flat resistance. This partially achieved with the rounded 4.5mm rim edge. This is a key feature in Enve's Wide Hookless Bead design, as is a refined construction process and carbon laminate improvement. This is part of the optimized tubeless system that makes a hookless, straight sidewall design possible. It ensures precise bead seat diameters, and improved tire-to-rim interface, while delivering greater overall strength and reliability- which the company is known for.
Enve been molding spoke holes into their rims from the start. Molding versus drilling the spoke hole protects the fibers from being cut and allows fibers to remain intact for a lighter, stronger rim structure. Another benefit is that the engineers can control the shape of the rim at the spoke/nipple interface. Enve Foundation rims feature an internal conical nipple seat that prevents premature spoke fatigue and failure while also ensuring wheel-build reliability. This is crucial technology for Enve because an engineering goal has also included the wheels requiring very little spoke tension maintenance while also experiencing fewer broken spokes. Each wheel is purpose-built to be best in class, delivering the ideal balance between weight savings, stiffness, and impact toughness. Enve backs up Foundation wheels with their Lifetime Incident Protection and 5 Year Factory Warranty coverage.
The rim specs include 25mm internal/33.5external rim widths and a 21mm rim depth- front and rear. For these wheels Enve is using a Foundation version of their Alloy disc road hubset, which is lightweight, rolls on premium full contact sealed NTN steel bearings that deliver rolling efficiency and longevity. The design features strong flanges for the j-bend Sapim CX-Sprint spokes and the Center Lock disc rotor mount. Both wheels are laced with 24 spokes, 2x/2x all around with Enve's specific external brass nipples used. The rear hub carries the Industry Nine 1/1 road/gravel dual phased-pawl drive mechanism accomplishing 90 points of engagement every 4 degrees by way of a six pawl driver and 45 tooth drive-ring. This means serious acceleration and control throughout, with excellent speed and low resistance but precision reaction on slower, more technical terrain.
The Foundation-series AG25 Carbon Disc Wheelset is truly designed only for tubeless tire use. Never run a clincher on the Hookless Construction rim. You can use a tube with a tubeless tire as needed- such as after a tire puncture you can't seal. The rims are optimized for use with 36-50mm tires. At 1460 grams for the wheelset, and a price point at $1600 you are getting a fantastic wheelset that Enve compares in overall quality to Shimano Ultegra or Campagnolo Chorus level components. The Foundation wheels are very impressive in build and value, and we expect them to become a real option for many adventure and gravel riders.
Enve has a very specific tire compatibility chart and pressure guidelines based on their testing and coordination with tire manufacturers- please visit their site to see the updated, detailed chart before selecting/mounting tires.
- Foundation series Adventure/Gravel 700c tubeless tire only wheelset with class leading performance and capabilities without compromises at very reachable price point
- Utah-made Foundation wheels carry ENVE SES aero rim shapes, refinements; internal molded spoke holes
- AG25 rim specs: 360 grams, 21mm depth, 25mm internal width, 33.5mm external width, disc brake only
- Optimized for gravel-oriented tires from 700x36-50mm, can run as low as 32mm
- Enve's Hookless Construction with a 4.5mm rounded rim edge for improved impact strength
- Leading edge that improves pinchflat protection by over 50% when compared to a traditional hookless bead
- Rim design improves energy absorption and damping which aids in impact toughness, comfort
- AG25 laminate delivers the best balance of weight, responsiveness, handling, impact toughness, and comfort available in the sub $2K wheel pricepoint
- Designed for tubeless tires only, NO clinchers, you can use a tube with tubeless tire
- Max pressure: 90psi; proper pressures and approved tire options are detailed on Enve's site
- ENVE Foundation AF Disc hubset w/ Industry Nine 1/1 freehub system
- Axle set-up: 12/100mm TA front, 12/142mm TA rear
- Front/Rear laced 2x/2x with 24 Sapim CX-Sprint spokes, Enve brass nipples
- Center Lock disc rotor interface
- AG25 model is 700c (AG28 model is 650b)
- Includes tubeless tape and valves
- Freehub options: Shimano/SRAM 11-spd, SRAM XDR 12-spd
- Finish: Carbon with sharp, subtle White/Silver decals
- Weight: 1460 grams (wheelset)