ENVE SES 3.4 Clincher TL Wheelset
The thrill a cyclist experiences with a new set of high performance wheels is difficult to explain to a non-cyclist friend or significant other. The best wheels change the way you ride, perhaps adding speed, control, handling, acceleration or all of the above. Enve's original SES 3.4 Clincher was viewed as a substantial step forward, and the second generation has been released with the goal of being the ultimate mountain climbing and descending wheels with all-around performance with Tubeless tires an option. Now with new depths and external rim widths for both front and rear wheels, as well as a 21mm internal width, Road Tubeless ready structure, and improved aerodynamics, this dynamic climbing and road race performance wheelset will surely inspire you to train harder yet again.
The SES system was predicated on designing aerodynamic rims that matched the individual requirements of front and rear wheels. The front rim and tire are the leading edge into the wind, are more exposed in crosswinds, and must handle properly while attacking, cornering and descending. The rear wheel has different aerodynamic requirements, needs to manage substantial agitated air around the seattube and from pedaling action then carry cleaner air back and not only keep it smooth and reduce drag, but also harness it for a slight push forward as well. As the rear wheel is fixed within the rear triangle, cornering forces and crosswinds are less of an issue than for the front. SES also takes into account various frame designs, attempting to find proper width and shape to work best with great range of tube shapes on the market.
Enve's carbon layup process, continual fiber concept, and molded openings (as opposed to drilling) has proven to deliver durable, lightweight aero carbon rims that can handle high spoke tension, is resilient to road and offroad impacts, and maintains integrity beyond most expectations in many emergency situations. The molding process also allows the engineers to deliver the fantastic 2nd generation textured brake track, which ensures predictable braking power and feel in wet, dry, cold, or hot conditions. The consistency of the braking is excellent with their brake pads, leaving the rider to simply make choices based on conditions, not to whisper a quick prayer or hope for the best. Tubeless riders will find the rim system works extremely well, even at low pressures, and most current sealants provide the right level of protection and prevent drastic air reduction from impact. As the rims are optimized for 25mm tire widths, the combination of surefooted-ness, improved aerodynamics, reduced rolling resistance and improved ride quality is achievable.
Enve offers several hub options for the SES 3.4C TL Disc Clincher Wheelset, including their own. Enve's Alloy Road Hubset hubs feature Perfect Preload which means no more hub slop, frustrating adjustments, or prematurely worn bearings. Stainless steel bearings and races keep corrosion at bay, while premium external seals prevent contamination. The optimized flange spacing and geometry for responsive and optimally stiff wheel builds that inspire confidence when accelerating and cornering. The tool free interchangeable freehub body is machined from 7075 alloy and hard anodized to reduce cog bite. Additionally, the freehub body can be removed without tools and switching between Campy, Shimano, and SRAM options can be accomplished without re-dishing the wheel. Engagement is handled with a 40t ratchet-style drive system that delivers efficient and responsive power transmission in a highly reliable, virtually maintenance free package. Optimized flange spacing and geometry for responsive and optimally stiff wheel builds that inspire confidence when accelerating and cornering. The free hub body is machined from 7075 alloy and hard anodized to reduce cog bite.
The versions with Enve's Carbon hubs drops about a 100 grams from the alloy version. The full-carbon road hub that improves drive response, saves weight, and increases wheel build stiffness via a refined hub flange geometry, and lacing pattern. The hub’s new geometry is paired with a new high engagement ratchet and premium stainless steel bearings. The internals and drive system are the same as described above for the Alloy version.
The hubs and rims are laced with black lightly bladed steel spokes and Enve proprietary brass nipples. The 20 spoke front wheel is laced radial, while the 24 spoke rear wheel is laced 2x/2x. Enve utilizes the excellent Sapim CX-Ray spokes, which offer high tension capabilities, light weight and a great ride quality. These standard quick release wheels come with Enve skewers for 100/130mm road frame dropouts, as well as rim tape and Enve's brake pads. The freehub is Shimano 11, and the special brake pads are also grooved for Shimano (and SRAM), brake pad holders.
Excel Sports has had a tremendously positive experience with Enve, and in our experience the durability, quality, and performance are top notch, as is Enve's support team. Many previous edition SES 3.4 riders opted for the this lower profile option as their every day wheelset, and while Enve is driving this new version as a climbing and descending model, that is because they believe the aerodynamics benefits of the SES 4.5 make that wheelset a better choice as an all-around option, not because the 3.4 can't handle the daily use. It is up to you which option makes the most sense to you; just know you are getting some of the most highly advanced performance clincher, Road Tubeless ready compatible wheels out there. At 1492 grams for the full wheelset you will love them no matter where and how and you ride.
- Newly designed SES 3.4 wheelset optimal for mountainous riding, in any weather
- Various rim brake hub versions/prices (Enve Alloy, Enve Carbon, Chris King R45)
- Clincher design is also Road Tubeless compatible with sealing rim tape and valve
- Re-conceived rim shapes and dimensions further the SES concept for specific needs and requirements of the user and front and rear wheel differences
- Exceptional carbon construction with continual layup, no drill/molded process
- Rim dimensions/specification:
- Front: Depth 38mm, External Width 27.5mm, Internal Width 17mm, Weight 458g
- Rear: Depth 42mm, External Width 27.5mm, Internal Width 17mm, Weight 459g
- Recommended Tire Size: 700x25mm
- 2nd generation textured Enve brake track and pads ensure power and control in wet or dry conditions, hot or cold temperatures
- 30% less lever force required for the same stopping power and exceptional heat management
- Carbon hub version improves drive response, saves weight (about 100g), and increases wheel build stiffness via a refined hub flange geometry, and lacing pattern
- Enve Alloy and Carbon Disc hubsets: same internals, 40t ratchet style drive system, easily serviced
- Spokes/Nipples: Lightly bladed black stainless steel Sapim CX-Ray, proprietary brass Enve nipples
- Front wheel features 20 spokes, laced in radial pattern; proprietary
- Rear wheel has 24 spokes laced 2x/2x drive/non-drive
- Includes Enve pads (Shimano), Enve QR's, rim tape
- Freehub: Shimano/SRAM 11 speed, Campagnolo (SRAM XDR available, please call us)
- Color: Black on Carbon
- Weights: Enve Alloy 1509g (666g FT, 843g RR), 1409g Enve Carbon (636g FT, 773g RR)