ENVE SES 3.4 Disc Wheelset 2022
Historically the best combination of an attacking and versatile road wheelset for rolling roads, real climbs and jaw-dropping descents, the Enve SES 3.4 series wheels have proven time and time again that there are no limits on its capabilities. For 2022, Enve has optimized the design further while streamlining their overall offerings. The new SES 3.4 shares many similarities with the previous SES 3.4 AR, such as the 39mm front and 43mm rear rim profiles and 25mm inner width, while receiving a laminate update that reduces weight to 1390 grams for the wheelset, yet is stronger and faster with the proper tire and tire pressure combination. The high-volume design of the rim and Wide Hookless Bead technology not only makes the SES 3.4 a modern road wheel that is raced at the World Tour level, but it’s also a favorite for mixed surface events due to its feature benefits that clearly separate it from other wheels in the same depth category. Pinch-flat resistance, low weight, and an aero profile optimized around high-volume tires are key features of the SES 3.4, making it the most adept all-around wheelset.
Falling between the more mountain-specific SES 2.3 and true road-racing optimized SES 4.5, the SES 3.4 is a clear choice for the rider seeking a lightweight option for any terrain, on any road. With an internal width of 25mm, the confidence in handling that comes with the rim and tire volume makes it a game-changer on technical descents and rough pavement. Like the rest of the SES wheel line, the SES 3.4 has been optimized for road tubeless performance and features a hookless bead design that allows for the precise rim dimensions required to achieve the best tubeless performance. To further tubeless tire and rim reliability, the full carbon wheelset features Enve’s patent-pending Wide Hookless Bead, which is a design element at the leading edge of the rim that provides a surface that, when impacted, will reduce the likelihood of pinch flatting a tubeless tire.
The new SES 3.4 disc front and rear specific rims are lighter, stronger, and have tested faster than the previous versions, with less rolling resistance depending on tire/pressure variables. The tubeless ready rim bed adds strength closer to the outer rim surface, and Enve employs the Wide Hookless bead profile, tire-bed bead seat lock system that make compatible tubeless tires work so well. The straight, short bed adds incredible stiffness and tubeless ready tire retention. You can use a tube or not with a tubeless tire, but Enve says you cannot run standard clincher tires on these rims. Enve supplies tubeless rim tapes and valves to seal the deal, if you will. Enve calls 80 psi the max pressure allowed for 29mm Width as Measured tires, so choose your tire appropriately for your needs.
Enve's Premium Alloy Road Disc Hubset hubs feature the Perfect PreloadTM waved-washer system, which means no more hub slop, frustrating adjustments, or prematurely worn bearings. Stainless steel bearings and races keep corrosion at bay, while premium external seals prevent contamination. Cold-forged then machined 6061 aluminum alloy is light, strong, and stout with j-bend flanges The optimized flange spacing and geometry for responsive and optimally stiff wheel builds that inspire confidence when accelerating and cornering. Additionally, the freehub body can be removed without tools and switching between Campagnolo, Shimano, and SRAM can be accomplished without re-dishing the wheel. Housed behind the freehub body is the Instant Drive 360 40T ratchet style drive system that delivers efficient and responsive power transmission in a highly reliable, virtually maintenance free package with optimized flange spacing and geometry for responsive and optimally stiff wheel builds that inspire confidence when accelerating and cornering. The Enve Alloy hubset option for the SES 3.4 Wheelset feature 24 spokes, and are laced 2x/2x. Enve uses Sapim's famed CX-Ray on all their wheels. The nipples are an Enve-specific inverted brass design, the only option rated for the rims.
- 2022 SES 3.4 replaces the previous 3.4 & 3.4 AR, as road, allroad capable wheelset with modest aero advantage, excellent ride quality, impressive handling and control
- Real World Fast: updated line-up for 2022, all disc-only rims with Wide Hookless tubeless bead
- Wind tunnel testing in complete bicycles at real-world speeds of 20 mph (32 kph) and 30 mph
- Shallower front wheel than rear wheel with blunt spoke face to maximize cross wind stability and handling
- Deeper real wheel than front with sharper spoke face to maximize drag reduction
- Aerodynamically optimized around the fast-rolling ENVE SES 27 Tire (29mm WAM at 80psi)
- High volume road tires (27-32mm) roll faster, smoother; offer more confidence on imperfect roads
- Result? Ride faster with large tires; developed rim shapes negate the aero loss that comes with additional tire volume
- ENVE Road Hubs guarantee optimized wheel build dynamics, efficient power transfer, unprecedented reliability, and low-friction rolling on premium grade bearings
- Rim constructed with proven ENVE carbon lamination process, molded spoke and valve holes
- Front rim spec: 24h, Depth 39mm, IRW 25mm, ERW 32mm, ERD 578mm, 370 grams, Tubeless tape width 29mm, 59mm valve tubeless valve stem
- Rear rim spec: 24h, Depth 43mm, IRW 25mm, ERW 32mm, ERD 571mm, 378 grams, Tubeless tape width 29mm, 61mm valve tubeless valve stem
- Optimal Aero tire width: 29mm WAM
- Tire size range: 27-43mm
- Maximum tire pressure for minimum size tire (27mm): 80psi (Enve has detailed size/pressure and approved tire guidelines on their site
- Hubset: Enve Alloy 24h, 12/100mm, 12/142mm TA, Center Lock Disc; SS Sealed bearings, forged aluminum bodies)
- Instant Drive 360 40T ratchet style drive system, easily serviced; Perfect PreloadTM
- Spokes/Nipples/Lacing: Sapim CX-Ray, bladed, j-bend / Enve Brass internal / 2x|2x
- Includes: Tubeless tape & valves (59mm/61mm), 2 Pressure Relief Valve Stem Nuts
- Axle/Spacing: 12/100mm Front, 12/142mm Rear
- Disc rotor interface: Center Lock
- Freehub options: SRAM XDR, Shimano HG (Campagnolo N3W body option also available)
- Finish: UD Carbon/Gloss Black decals
- Weight: 1390 grams (Front 634g, Rear 756g)