Factor VAM Dura-Ace R9170 Di2 Disc Bicycle
We have built O2 Vam Disc framesets with a few variations, so please check the specifications below if you looked at pre-built VAM options to ensure the build is what you are looking for.
The research and development that brought the world the Factor O2 frameset design provided Factor's engineers with huge amounts of data and knowledge as they built a fantastic riding, sub 800 gram road race frameset that sacrificed nothing in the pursuit of wins and personal bests. So after a few years of incredible success for this smaller, though world class frame company, what did Factor do? How about going to back to the O2 drawing board, albeit with a head start, and create the O2 VAM Disc frameset, with a new carbon production process, some different material technology, and a commitment to maintaining or improving the O2 across the board. We built this special run of complete bikes with the VAM Disc frameset as a platform to showcase it, as well as the Black Inc carbon cockpit set-up, with the Shimano Dura-Ace R9170 Di2 and hydraulic disc groupset, and the Black Inc Thirty Disc Wheelset. Incredible build, no? Of course, but it all starts with the frameset.
Enter the sub 700 gram O2 VAM (Velocita Ascensionale Media- average ascent velocity), frameset. Unlike many superlight road framesets, the VAM was not only built to climb, but to dominate descents and ride like a dream. The cockpit set-up is pro-style low friendly with a new headtube and headset top cap/spacer system. Overall the geometry is road race; incredibly close the O2, with the same Stack and Reach. Current O2 riders who desire the lightest version will find it all very familiar, aside from the approximately 10% reduction in frame weight. So what is different? VAM is manufactured with a completely new method of carbon compaction. Pressurization greater than normal allows the engineers to wring excessive resin from the various base carbon materials, therefore making the carbon stronger, lighter and more efficient.
As wit h all Factor frames, the VAM was optimized with a strategic lay-up of mixed modulus carbon that helps further define and augment VAM'S decisive handling and riding characteristics. The materials list is impressive as well with Factor adding TeXtreme®, Nippon Graphite pitch fiber, and boron fiber to their secret sauce. The combination of fiber and materials used in with the new compaction process combine to deliver the lateral and torsional stiffness required to keep the frame efficient and a perfect platform for power transfer, while resulting in a solid and sure feel when descending or sprinting. Boron fiber is not new to cycling, as several frame manufacturers have used in superlight frames, but Factor has used it primarily to reduce weight while maintaining proper lateral stiffness in the seattube, with no compromise in ride quality.
The 54cm disc brake bare VAM frame weighs in at 689 grams. The superlight platform is a perfect choice for building a complete bike that destroys the UCI minimum weight limit, yet can still be ridden in all conditions and situations. Even the tapered fork received the VAM treatment, looking slightly wasted next to the standard O2 model. The essentially nude carbon, with the slight touches of a sharp red, looks raw and ready to go. The VAM frameset we started with for this build is the Full Chassis version, so the Black Inc Carbon seatpost, and Integrated Carbon stem/bar are part of the frameset package, along with the standard issue CeramicSpeed headset and bottom bracket.
So much has been written and spoken about the supreme precision and reliability of the Shimano Dura-Ace R9170 Di2 electronic shifting system. It delivers the most precise, informed shifts at the fastest speed. What else needs to be said? The sleek ergonomic R9170 Di2 Dual Control levers offer superior feel and tactile response, while still housing the master cylinder of the hydraulic disc braking system. The derailleurs are simply superb- while demonstrating durability over long years of use. With the exception of the Ceramic Speed Bottom Bracket, the entire group is Dura-Ace, even down to the Center Lock disc rotors. The crankset is a 50-34, matched with an 11-30 cassette to provide great range, especially for high cadence climbers. The Di2 e-Tube system is fully internal, along with the seattube battery and handlebar end junction/charging port.
Onto the kit items. Cockpit creation on the VAM is simple. As part of the frameset you get the UD carbon integrated Black Inc bar-stem, which is light, stiff, and incredibly well executed in every way. Black Inc also supplies the lightweight 27.2 round carbon seatpost. The Xsilite rail San Marco Aspide OpenFit 132mm saddle is a sleek, race oriented saddle. Factor supplies their bar tape, which offers a nice feel and grip.
Factor’s pro cyclists love the everyday reliability and lightweight race-day performance of Black Inc Thirty Disc Wheelset. The 30mm aero profile carbon rim has the 21mm internal/30mm external width dimensions for incredible ride quality and optimal stability, while the road tubeless / clincher design ensures options. The machined alloy hubset is sublime, and incredibly smooth with low resistance throughout thanks to the CeramicSpeed bearing package. The Center Lock rotor mounts and the thru-axle interfaces feel perfect, as you'd expect. We opted for Schwalbe's exceptional Pro One tires in a 700x25mm size, set-up with tubes.
The O2 VAM Disc is a truly exceptional frameset, and we spec'ed this complete bike to match that level. This is truly a pro build, with zero limitations. We hope you are as excited by the performance and possibilities of the O2 VAM Disc as we are. If you have direct questions please email email@example.com or call us at 800.627.6664.
- Superlight road disc frameset built with Shimano 11s R9170Di2/Hydraulic Groupset
- Sub 700g VAM (Velocita Ascensionale Media- average ascent velocity) frameset
- Mixed modulus carbon with TeXtreme®, Nippon Graphite pitch fiber, boron fiber
- Equipped with lightweight Black Inc carbon cockpit from Factor
- Incredible climbing bike that is equally accomplished descending and all-around
- Balanced, stable, quick geometry straight from pro-tested Factor 02
- Newly designed headtube design for lower position if desired
- Flat Mount disc interfaces and overall design help stiffness, 30mm tire clearance
- Front and Rear threaded thru-axles: 12/100mm front, 12/142mm rear
- Black Inc: Integrated UD carbon Bar-Stem, 27.2 round carbon, Zero offset seatpost
- Dura-Ace R9170/R9100 11-spd electronic/hydraulic groupset featuring eTube wiring, internal seatpost battery, handlebar end junction/charging port
- R9170: Di2 Dual Control levers for hydraulic disc, Di2 Front Derailleur, Di2 Rear Derailleur, Flat Mount Hydraulic Disc Calipers w/ 140mm FT/RR RT900 rotors
- R9100: 52-36 Crankset w/BBright BB, 11-30 Cassette, CN901 chain
- Black Inc Thirty Disc Wheelset w/Schwalbe Pro One 700x25 tires, tubes (21mm IRW, 30mm ERW)
- PRO: Stealth Superlight 142 Saddle, Comfort Bar Tape
- Sizes: 49cm (soon), 56cm (limited availability)
- Component specifics by frame size (bar-stem is an integrated unit)
- 56cm Bar: 42c-c, Stem: 110mm, Crank: 175mm
- Color: Naked Carbon with Red highlights
- Weight: 15.71 lbs (56cm complete)