Garmin Forerunner 945
How do you improve on the best running- fitness GPS watch for serious athletes? Suffice to say that Garmin has built off the excellence of the Forerunner 935 and other advanced wearables to deliver the Forerunner 945, which includes the aforementioned maps, Garmin Pay, on board storage for 1000 songs plus Spotify and Deezer integration options. New heat and acclimation measurement tools advance your training experiences and better inform your VO2 max knowledge. The mapping covers on and offroad activity, while you get accuracy and battery usage options with Garmin's GPS/Glonass/Galileo location tools. Garmin has also updated the Connect IQ app and opened the API for increased 3rd party potential moving forward. The Forerunner 945 drives the forward development of the Forerunner series, and reflects many small changes has made with the '45 series GPS watches.
GPS-enabled watch with Garmin's Elevate wrist-based HR and Pulse Ox measurement offer evolved features. Training status is a new performance monitoring tool that automatically evaluates your recent exercise history and performance indicators to let you know if you’re training productively, peaking or overreaching. The anaerobic training effect metric opens a window of insight to a critical dimension of training, telling you how your training is improving your ability to push the limits. You can even view your overall training load, which measures your exercise volume from the last 7 days and compares it to the optimal range for your fitness and recent training history.
One way to improve performance is to improve your technique. Let the Forerunner 945 measure crucial running metrics that you can use to analyze your performance. Bio-mechanical measurements such as cadence, stride length, ground contact time and balance, vertical oscillation and vertical ratio are the key to understanding your form so you can bring your best on race day. These metrics are available with the addition of a compatible heart rate strap or the optional compact Running Dynamics Pod, which clips right onto your waistband. These are in additions to rich data like running dynamics, wrist-based heart rate, training status, FTP and VO2 max. The added benefit of training load, heat and acclimation metrics increase your knowledge of top-level training in extreme circumstances, which can strongly inform your competition decisions. As with the 935, the 945 allows you to take advantage of feature sets to help with cycling and even swim training. In the water, Forerunner 945 can track your distance, pace, stroke count and more with Garmin's Run and Swim pod options.
As with most premium-grade Garmin sport GPS devices, the Forerunner 945 provides elevation changes with a built-in barometer; altimeter and electronic compass help you keep your bearings as GPS maps and tracks your location. Garmin delivers both GPS and GLONASS satellite interaction, along with Galileo supports, plus options for how you use them (which impacts accuracy and battery life), for maximal GPS location service. You also get a gyroscope, and thermometer to deliver accurate weather and movement data. With battery power for up to 2 weeks in smartwatch mode, up to 10 hours in GPS & Music modes, up to 60 hours in UltraTrac mode (with wrist-based heart rate), or up to 70 hours in UltraTrac mode (without wrist-based heart rate), you can easily plan usage for your needs.
As you'd expect from a run / multi-sport watch of this level, Garmin provides utlimate connectivity to meet your needs, with Bluetooth Smart, ANT+, and WiFi. The most used app platform in sport devices is Garmin Connect, along with Connect IQ, which combined allow you to compile and communicate with your smartphone, with access to countless features and direct interaction. The Forerunner 945 supports live color onboard mapping, smart notifications, smartphone music, realtime weather, Find My Phone, Find My Watch, and act as a VIRB camera remote. Yes, you get the full suite of running, cycling, and swim options- such as the running and cycling dynamics data, powermeter interaction and calibration, FTP, and more. How about pool and open water swim profiles, and all the Garmin training features? Garmin's deep suite of health and activity tracking is here as well, with the wrist-based HR system capable of tracking 24 hours a day.
The Forerunner 945 can integrate with Strava, Training Peaks, and the full complement of apps that can follow you through the active tracking that transmits to your cell phone. Data tracking can be set for every second, or use smart recording for more efficient storage. Music-wise Garmin is offering onboard storage for 1000 songs, and with appropriate subscriptions you can use offline music from Spotify and Deezer. Combined with Garmin Pay, the Music feature allows you leave the house with a minimum of excess items, such as a wallet or credit card, and for many people training locally, even your smartphone.
- Premium GPS Running/Triathlon watch with wrist-based Heart Rate, Music, more
- Offers advanced running/ multi-sport features in a comfortable watch you can wear all day
- Provides elevation changes with a built-in barometer; altimeter and electronic compass help you keep your bearings
- GPS, GLONASS and Galileo satellite compatibility, with set-up options
- Onboard storage for 1000 songs plus Spotify and Deezer integration/sync options
- Garmin Pay contactless payment solution
- Full-color, onboard maps guide you on your run so you never get lost during a workout
- Evaluates your training status/efforts, including VO2 max with heat and acclimation
- Provides advanced dynamics for running, cycling and swimming, including ground contact time balance, stride length and more (run, swim pods sold separately)
- Rich data like training load, training status, FTP, VO2 max
- Sensors: Garmin Elevate wrist HRM and Pulse Ox, Barometric altimeter, Compass, Gyroscope, Accelerometer, Thermometer
- Connectivity: Bluetooth Smart, ANT+, Wi-Fi
- Smart features (iPhone, Android): notifications, calendar, weather, smartphone music, Find My Phone, Find My Watch, VIRB Camera Remote, Garmin Connect Mobile
- Connect IQ App (downloadable watch faces, data fields, widgets and 3rd party apps)
- Safety/tracking features include Incident Detection (during select activities) and Assistance; can send real-time location to emergency contacts,
- Create your own workouts, or download training plans including Garmin Coach
- Built-in activity profiles, including skiing, hiking, golfing and more
- All-day activity tracking¹ that monitors steps, calories and sleep
- Battery life: up to 2 weeks in smartwatch mode, 10 hours in GPS mode with Music or up to 60 hours in UltraTrac mode
- Compatible with Garmin's 22mm wide QuickFit watch bands
- Physical Watch: Corning Gorilla Glass DX, fiber-reinforced polymer bezel, silicone strap
- Physical size of watch face: 47 x 47 x 13.9 mm
- Display type: Color, sunlight-visible, transflective memory-in-pixel (MIP)
- Display size: 1.2" (30.4 mm) diameter
- Display resolution: 240 x 240 pixels
- Controls: 5 buttons on bezel (3 left, 2 right)
- Memory/History: 200 hours of activity data
- Water rating: 5 ATM
- Includes: 945 watch, USB charging cable, documentation
- Color: Black
- Weight: 50 grams