HED Vanquish 4 Carbon Disc Wheelset
HED has been conservative in their approach to the industry drive for carbon clincher, tubeless ready wheels, and given the company's history it has not been a question of experience working with carbon. Until HED's engineers felt they could properly balance heat build-up, braking control, strength and durability, aluminum rim edge and brake track clinchers made the most sense. It is not as if HED wasn't working on them, but the braking challenge was always a hang-up. Managing the heat properly is crucial to safety, so the conservative perspective won out. Disc brakes have changed the equation for HED and the carbon clincher aero wheel they have developed. Often referred to as the Stealth version, the all black, Chris King R45 CL disc equipped Vanquish 4 GP Carbon Disc Brake Wheelset delivers ideal carbon clincher tubeless technology, along with HED's proven aerodynamics and wider rim structure (that would never have fit in standard road brake) in a thru-axle, disc only design that will carry HED, and you, to the front of the pack.
With a 40mm profile, 21mm internal width, and a massive max 30mm external width, the 2020 graphic Vanquish 4 GP Disc rim is incredibly stable in virtually all wind situations and while cornering, sprinting or rolling at speed in a group. It is as fast with a 23mm wide tire as it is with a 28mm tire and actually very comfortable to ride. Max tire pressure is 90 psi, and the width of the rim gives tires a wide contact patch that hugs the road surface, reducing rolling resistance and ensuring grip and control. At 1595 grams for the pair, this 40mm deep wheelset is more than competitive with other low profile race performance wheels, is extremely durable, and features some impressive aerodynamic properties. Ultimately this is what HED has been delivering for decades, but now you get the tubeless ready carbon clincher you have been asking for.
As with most such disc brake equipped aero wheels, the lacing is 24 hole 2x/2x front and rear. Sapim CX-Ray bladed steel spokes ensure high tension and consistent build integrity. These wheels feature the Chris King R45 CL Disc hubset, with it's rapid engagement, superior aluminum machining, and very high quality, King-made, steel sealed cartridge bearings and oversized alloy axles. The disc rotor mount is Center Lock. Thanks to the superlative made in Minnesota rim construction, incredible Portland, OR built hubset and resilient overall assembly, HED has approved the Vanquish for road, gravel, and cyclocross use for riders up to 226lbs. The overall effect and capability of this long awaited HED wheelset has be to be ridden to be appreciated.
HED ships the Vanquish 4 GP with tubeless tape and valve extenders, but no tubeless valves. The valve extenders are the threaded type so you can move the existing valve core of the tube to the top of the extender, then thread thread the extender into the tube. The valves themselves are smooth. As such you can't use them in a tubeless set-up. HED recommends DT Swiss and Orange Seal tubeless valves as the best option for the Vanquish 4 GP. Any current sealant is acceptable, so perhaps you match sealant to the tire recommendation, but otherwise we recommend Stan's NoTubes Tire Sealant.
- HED's lower profile aero, tubeless ready, carbon clincher, disc brake only wheelset
- Special build, with Chris King R45 CL Disc hubset rather than HED GP
- Full carbon tubeless-clincher ready rim construction, multi-fiber lay-up
- Rim spec: 40mm profile, 21mm internal width, max 30mm external width
- Stable in all wind and riding conditions, excellent feel and balance in corners and within groups of riders
- HED's proven aerodynamic knowledge delivers in the wind tunnel and on the road
- Compatible with tires from 700x23mm-45mm, optimal aerodynamics 23-28mm
- Max tire pressure: 90psi
- King R45 CL Disc hubset, matte finish, Patented RingDrive™ 45pts of engagement
- Hub axle configuration: 12/100 front and 12/142mm rear thru-axle
- Lacing: 24h 2x/2x front and rear, with Sapim CX-Ray bladed steel spokes
- Max weight: 226 lbs>/li>
- Freehub: SRAM XDR
- Includes: tubeless tape, tube compatible direct thread valve extenders
- Color: Carbon Black Stealth graphics
- Weight: 1595grams (730g front, 865g rear)