Pinarello Gan S Ultegra Bicycle 2017
The success of the premium, pro-level Pinarello Dogma F8 series frameset design opened up the opportunity for the Italian bike manufacturer to explore new versions that offered cyclists the same essential aero design and smooth ride, with a few changes and through the still impressive, though lower grade, carbon fiber than the Dogma K designs utilize. The ride quality and capabilities are strikingly similar, but the Gan S is a little heavier and only a practiced rider with experience on both frames could identify other minor differences. The beautiful Gan S Ultegra complete bicycle allows you to enjoy best qualities of the Dogma F8, but at a much more accessible price point.
Ride quality is a subjective assessment largely influenced by what cyclists have already ridden, but even something as minor as 10psi change in tire pressure can impact rider feel. Pinarello's approach to frame engineering is influenced by history and experience, but is truly governed by science. Their SOE approach is the use of using engineering software and systems that allow the designers to simulate resistance, fatigue, stress, aerodynamic impact in the computer. Though countless frames have been built to counter the right-left asymmetry of a single-side drivetrain, until Pinarello carried that concept to the complete frame and fork development process, the solutions were generally limited to the chainstays and bottom bracket zones. By applying the load requirements throughout the design, Pinarello was able to produce a stronger frame that feels as stiff leaning to the non-drive side as it does to the drive side. This started with the fork, into the headtube, and fully back to the rear dropout. Some of this is visible to the eye, and some takes place within the tubes shapes and carbon structures, as well as the complete layup.
The 2017 GAN S employs Toray's T700 carbon fiber to achieve this design and to develop the balance of performance and cost effectiveness required for the GAN S. The execution is actually visible in the tube designs, but most of the real force-countering carbon application resides within the carbon layup. Pinarello's distinctive ONDA fork design was modified for the advanced Dogma frames, with a more aero, simplified approach, but the asymmetric construction matches the frame. The design rides with incredible smoothness, yet never feels soft or struggles with deflection in corners or on rough roads. It provides superior ride quality and performance while keeping the rider fresh, and still connected to the road. With the tapered 1⅛ to 1½ steerer and subsequent frame design, the ONDA fork delivers the exceptional handling and precision Pinarello riders demand. On the rear stays, a more simple inward bow curve is used. With approximately 2/3 of the rider's weight on the rear wheel, the aero ONDA stay looks and functions differently than the fork, but still uses the same concepts of a longer path the the seat junction and offers excellent overall lateral stiffness to counter pedaling forces through the rear triangle.
The integrated approach also includes aerodynamics. The lines from the fork, through the headtube and main triangle are clean and complementary, terminating in shapes that feature a flatback design, which is similar to the Kamtail concept. The flow carries all the way back to the rear dropouts, saving you watts. Cabling for the GAN S is internal via the the Think2 integrated cable/stop system. This simple, and very clean approach enhances aerodynamics and is fully compatible with mechanical and electronic drivetrain systems, which leads into the build details of this complete bike.
The Ultegra 6800 groupset from Shimano is known for it's precise performance, durability and overall value. Here Pinarello has spec'ed a full group, except for the chain, which is a 105 level. Ultegra brakes are second only to Dura-Ace among all brands for performance, power, and feel, and the 6800 STI levers have excellent ergonomics. The Fulcrum Racing 5 wheelset is a perfect match for the frame, with its well known lateral stiffness and rapid response to input, with excellent build and mechanical durabilty. A pair of Vittoria Zaffiro Pro's in the 25mm width get you started with rubber, and deliver a sweet ride quality and good all-around grip.
Pinarello's MOst equipment is lightweight and reliable with proven design. The 31.8mm Jaguar XA compact alloy bar has an 80mm reach and 128mm drop, the Tiger Alu Aero stem is an 82° model, and the frame design specific Aero Carbon 12K seatpost offers setback to carry the Fizik Antares R7. All balance function and lightweight, and while some may opt to upgrade over time, others will be perfectly happy with the MOst designs.
If you love the look and style of the Dogma designs, but just can't justify the expense of the premium models, the GAN S will satisfy your aesthetic desires, and deliver a quite wonderful performance all the way around. Best of all you can afford it, and push it as hard as possible and truly enjoy the experience. It takes little sensitivity to appreciate the asymmetric design once you start testing the GAN S on sprints, corners and descents that you already know well. Then you truly begin to feel the differences and find that carving in either direction now feels more controlled, with similar response regardless of the drivetrain. Accelerations are smooth and powerful, so much so it will bring a smile to your face. Pinarello's bikes inspire confidence and have carried Team Sky to the top of the podium in pro cycling's greatest races. While you may not be at that level, you certainly want to explore the limits of your abilities on the bike, and enjoy the experience. That is the Pinarello riding experience and the GAN S delivers.
- Race-level performance and geometry with a smooth, powerful ride quality
- Asymmetrical design of complete frameset from fork through rear drop out
- High grade Toray T700 carbon fiber with frame specific layup, engineering
- SOE computer analysis is comprehensive, with full pre and post design testing
- Think2 internal cable management system for mechanical and electronic drivetrains
- Balanced geometry with race pedigree and aggressive positioning
- Impressive handling, acceleration and ride quality over long rides and races
- ONDA fork and rear stay system optimized for, strength, comfort and performance
- Ultegra 11-speed 6800 group: 52-36 crankset, Italian BB, 11-28 cassette, FD, RD, brakeset; with 105 chain
- Fulcrum Racing 5 wheelset with 700x25mm Zaffiro Pro tires
- Pinarello MOst: Jaguar XA handlebar, Tiger Alu Aero Stem, Aero Carbon 12K seatpost, handlebar tape, with Fizik Antares R7 saddle
- Component specifics by listed Pinarello bike size:
- 51.5cm Bar width: 44c-c, Stem length: 100mm, Crank length: 172.5mm
- 53cm Bar width: 44c-c, Stem length: 100mm, Crank length: 172.5mm
- 54cm Bar width: 44c-c, Stem length: 110mm, Crank length: 172.5mm
- 55cm Bar width: 44c-c, Stem length: 110mm, Crank length: 172.5mm
- 56cm Bar width: 46-c-c, Stem length: 120mm, Crank length: 172.5mm
- 57.5cm Bar width: 46-c-c, Stem length: 120mm, Crank length: 175mm
- Assembled and Shipped by Excel Sports
- Please call us with any questions or if you need to discuss your order (800)627-6664
- Sizes: See drop down menu and geometry chart for options and availability
- Colors: All Black, Black/Red, White/Black