Shimano J02A Resin Disc Brake Pad with Spring with Fin
Shimano's XTR Trail-level disc brakes were developed for optimal cooling and heat dissipation. Heat build-up at the caliper can lead to a hydraulic temperature increase that saps power, induces fade, and can leave you several yards off the trail wondering what happened. Extreme conditions, for sure, and Shimano works hard so that you will never reach that dangerous point, but let's face it, any degradation of braking power and control will be noticed on long, hard downhill runs or gnarly descents. The use of 180mm and 203mm rotors indicates you expect such challenges, and yet things can get extreme. In their effort to do absolutely everything possible to reduce heat build-up, Shimano has added cooling fins to the J02A Resin Pad's. The fins act as a radiator, allowing cooling in and around the pads, and releasing heat at the same time.
Resin pads have the advantage of staying as cool as any material, and combined with the aluminum backing plate and integrated fins, there is the top performing pad Shimano makes. Resin delivers sure, quiet stopping power in all conditions, with the caveat that it wears faster when wet. Many riders will chose sintered metal pads for excessively wet and muddy conditions, but others will stay with resin for the best feel and control.
Shimano developed the finned pad design along with IceTech, with the ultimate goal of combining fluid, caliper, pad set, and rotor technologies to reduce heat from disc braking. The J02A pads use a pin and carrier spring design with a center mount set-up. This finned pad may not be compatible with all center mount Shimano disc calipers, but if you want the same resin pad without the fins, opt for the G02A version. The fins add a little weight, important to gram conscious XC racers, but few others. If you ride 5+ inches of travel with Shimano XTR or XT disc brakes, and want the best overall disc brake performance possible, we highly recommend the SHIM J02A Resin Pad and Spring with Fin.
- Pair of light, finned disc brake pads for specified Shimano calipers, resin compound
- Backing material is aluminum, to keep weight low and prevent heat build-up
- Integrated fins offer air inflow as well as heat release, keeps pads as cool as possible
- Shimano center pin and spring mount design
- Resin pad delivers premium power/control in all conditions, wears faster when wet
- Sold as a pair, with pin and spring carrier for a single caliper
- Compatible with:
- XTR M9000-9020, M987, M985 / Deore XT M785, M675, M666 / Deore M615
- RS785 / Alfine S700/R785 / R515 / CX75 / R315
- Weight: 28 grams