Niner JET 9 RDO XT Bicycle
The Niner JET 9 RDO has now fully evolved from a cross country machine to a true fast trail bike with shorter chainstays and slacker head tube angles. Built here with a sweet XT M8000 1x drivetrain, this complete bike can tackle any trail, marathon, or epic ride. With a Boost 148mm frame standard, 120mm of rear wheel Niner CVA travel, ISCG 05 tabs, new [R]Evolution geometry that handles both 29" and 27.5" Plus wheels and tires, as well as the full-on RDO carbon treatment, the Jet 9 RDO is ready to hit at aggressive XC/trail and more depending on your optimal configuration. Climbing, technical capability, nimble handling and control; with 29ers it used to be, as the saying goes, pick two. Now you don't have to.
Boost spacing for the rear triangle has been a game changer for many designs, and for the JET 9 RDO the opportunity to add tire clearance (29" to 2.5", 27.5+ to 3"), shorten the chainstays (to 434mm) and add frame stiffness from the 12/148mm rear dropout and new bottom bracket junction. Combined with the bump from 100mm to 120mm of rear wheel travel, the overall combination delivers a much more capable design. By changing the front end to accommodate a longer front center position with a shorter stem and wider handlebar, and moving to a 29er geometry optimized for a 130mm fork delivered a 67.5° headtube angle (140mm 67° with 27.5+). Now the design is much more capable on technical descents, with back-end flickability and front-end quickness pure trail riders absolutely require. No more compromises for the JET nameplate.
The RDO-level carbon frames from Niner are also no compromise. The premium quality carbon materials and advanced Niner CCS process uses rigid internal molds, which increases the level of compaction and precision in wall thickness. The light, stiff frame features the 12/148mm Boost rear drop out, with a replaceable derailleur hanger and increased lateral stiffness from the bottom bracket to the rear axle, resulting in better power transfer. The wider bottom bracket junction and the tapered headtube also benefit greatly from CCS, creating a frame that exhibits much improved torsional stiffness.
Niner's patented 29er specific suspension design is called CVA, for Constantly Varying Arc travel and has been optimized for this 120mm JET 9 RDO. The lower pivot sits under the bottom bracket, creating an instant center location in front of the BB. A dual linkage system then reacts with counter force to suspension load. This essentially isolates the drivetrain from the suspension, maintaining pedaling efficiency throughout the travel range. Sag setting is crucial, because just past sag, the axle path moves inward, with a constantly varying arc, limiting chain growth throughout the travel range. The active rear suspension is handled by a CVA-specially tuned Fox EVOL shock. The Kashima Coat keeps action smooth and clean, while the manual lever allows the rider to easily select the most effective platform for the conditions. Niner makes all it's own excellent hardware, and the super stiff linkage is made from high pressure molded carbon. Enduro Max Black Oxide sealed bearings handle the action.
Up front we have a Fox Racing Shock 34 Float 130mm travel Boost fork that nicely complements the EVOL. Plenty of set-up flexibility, great leg stiffness from the 34mm legs and Boost spacing. Keeping with the items of travel, the 125mm provided by the RockShox Reverb Stealth Dropper post is perfect the design, with internal routing of the hydraulic hose from the MMX remote.
We are huge fans of the crisp shifting, utter reliability, durabilty, and value of Shimano's XT M8000 group. Featured here in full effect, from the i-Spec set up of the single shifter and hydraulic brakes through the complete drivetrain and 6-bolt rotors, you won't be disappointed, ever. The 175mm 1x 32T Boost crankset spins on the threaded MT800 external bottom bracket. The 11-speed Shimano mountain chain is powered back to the Xt 11-46 cassette through the Shadow Plus style Long Cage cassette. You get a 180mm front brake rotor and 160mm in the rear for the superlative XT M8000 disc brakes.
The drivetrain powers the bike and the brakes control the wheels of the Stan's NoTubes ZTR Arch MK3 tubeless wheelset, which can handle 2.25-2.5" tires and all the miles you can throw at the NEO Boost hubset. We opted for the Maxxis Ardent Tubeless Ready trail tires in the 2.4" width. Outiftted with tubes for the build, the rims are taped for tubeless and the tubeless valves are included. Controlling this machine is a 780mm wide Niner Flat Top Handlebar, Supacaz black Grizips grips, 80mm Niner Alloy Stem; all from your perch on the the WTB SL8 Pro Saddle in black, with stout chromoly rails.
Hopefully you can see the true breadth of what Niner has accomplished with the JET 9 RDO and how this build allows you to exploit the capabilities. You get an exceptional trail ready frameset that offers you tremendous build flexibility without compromising on the true trail capabilities of the frame. Built here as a 29er with a 1x drivetrain, if you change your set-up next year, you can go 27.5+ with a double and a guard, and other options as well. If you are a dedicated trail rider that pushes beyond what an XC bike can achieve, but love to climb, descend, and carry serious speed, the Excel Sports Niner JET 9 RDO XT Bicycle with [R}Evolution geometry and 120mm of frame travel is right for you. Sizing tip: in between sizes? Size down. Need more help than that, or want to discuss the build? Give us a call at (800)627-6664 and one of experienced staff of cyclists can talk you through the options and process.
- Redesigned JET 9 RDO Boost complete XT 29er bike with true trail geometry, excellent build options, great performance
- Equipped with 29" Fox 34 Float 130mm fork, XT M8000 group, ZTR Arch MK3 wheelset
- RDO CCS carbon construction increases strength, torsional stiffness, reduces weight
- [R]Evolution trail geometry steeper ST angle, slacker HT angle, short chainstays
- 120mm travel CVA suspension with Fox EVOL 3-pos shock specific to JET 9 RDO
- Compressed carbon linkage plates with Niner's excellent aluminum hardware
- Boost 148mm rear spacing = wider BB, tire clearance, shorter chainstays, stiffness
- 12/148 thru-axle spacing with replaceable hanger, post mount disc interface
- Tire clearance: 29 x 2.5", 27.5+ x 3"
- 73mm Threaded Bottom Bracket, ISCG 05 mount for chainguide use
- Shaped titanium guards protect frame from chain drop
- Single, inside triangle, downtube water bottle mount
- Tapered headtube 1.125 x 1.5" taper, Zero Stack
- Headset: Cane Creek ZS44/28.6, ZS56/40
- Seatpost: Reverb Stealth dropper 30.9mm, 125mm travel, MMX hydraulic remote
- Fox Racing Shox 34mm Float 29er, 1300m travel, Boost 110mm thru-axle spacing
- XT M8000 11-spd group: Boost 175mm 1x 32T Crankset, MT800 Threaded BB, Hydraulic brakes, Right i-Spec II shifter, 11-46 Cassette, CN-HG901 chain, SGS + Rear Derailleur, RT-86 IceTech Rotors (180mm FT, 160mm RR)
- Wheelset: NoTubes ZTR Arch MK3 Boost with NEO thru-axle hubset
- Tires: Maxxis Ardent TR 29x2.4", with tubes (tubeless tape used, valves included)
- Cockpit: Niner Flat Top 780mm Grey Bar, Niner Alloy 80mm Stem, Supacaz Grips
- Saddle: WTB SL8 Pro, Black with Chromoly rails
- Sizes: Medium, Large (generally size down if in-between)
- Colors: Blaze Yellow, Carbon/Red