Ritchey Outback Frameset
The popularity of gravel and all road cycling speaks for itself. Cyclists don't need to choose on or off road, or be concerned about gravel roads or rough country lanes. Those how know Tom Ritchey's story will be aware that he has long pushed the boundaries of surfaces and terrain. The advances in road disc brake systems makes it easier to build the best bike possible for the conditions of the open and rough road. Using the proven and desirable Ritchey Logic heat-treated, double-butted directional steel tubing, the pioneer has designed the capable Outback Frameset with thru-axle frame and carbon disc fork, clearance for tires up to 40mm, and the forgiving, superior ride quality Ritchey's steel frames are known for.
The geometry will feel more like a road bike to most riders, with a 47mm fork rake that speeds up the handling when necessary. A 437mm chainstay length and 1027mm wheelbase (Medium) favors stability without sacrificing responsiveness. This is not a cyclocross bike, but an all road design that handle quickly when necessary, but tracks well over rougher terrain on straighter roads or paths. The vertical compliance of the tubeset is aided in the rear by the arched seatstays, which lead to the seat cluster with an integrated collar, for a 27.2mm diameter seatpost.
By using opposing tube oval shapes, shaped chainstays, and keeping a bridge across the seatstays, lateral stiffness is much better than you'd expect from a steel frame. Of course power transfer and control in the rear of the bike is assisted by the 12/142mm thru-axle dropout. The post mount disc brake tab is cleanly inside the rear triangle, with some space for mud to clear, not collect. The frame is designed for longer cable housing runs for brake and rear derailleur, which keeps the shift cable itself cleaner and operating smoothly. The drop-in integrated headset is included, and you will need a 28.6 clamp size for a front derailleur. The bottom bracket shell is a 68mm BSC threaded system. The Ritchey Carbon Fiber Gravel thru-axle fork is for 12/100mm hub use, and is painted to match the frame.
The steel Outback Frameset balances the multi-purpose requirements in ways that are surprising. Riders seeking a bike able to effortlessly switch between fire roads, trails, tarmac, long distance mixed-terrain adventures and everything in-between will find the Outback a prime option for enjoying such differing and distinct disciplines of riding. That is where the needs and requirements of cyclists are taking the industry. You can have one "road" bike that meets all your needs. Most cyclists don't race, and don't really want to. They want to ride, be able to explore the horizon, commute, and challenge themselves in new ways. Remember the 40mm tire size is a max standard. You can certainly ride 25 or 28mm models when on pavement. Also keep in mind that rim width, as well as variation in tire manufacturing will determine your actual max tire size. You have options. And isn't that the point of the Outback frameset? So if a forgiving ride, predictable but responsive handling, and contemporary features are on your new bike checklist, the Ritchey Outback Frameset will provide the essential foundation of your new build.
- Steel all road/gravel frameset with Ritchey special geometry, disc brakes, thru-axles and carbon gravel-ready fork
- Ritchey Logic heat-treated, double-butted directional tubing frame, 12/142mm thru-axle with replaceable mount/derailleur hanger, post mount disc brake interface
- Versatile bike also enjoys generous tire clearance, stability, responsive handling
- 1⅛ Carbon Fiber Gravel 12/100mm thru-axle fork w/ thru-axle, post mount disc
- Frame facts: Integrated headset design, 27.2mm seatpost diameter, 28.6mm front derailleur clamp required, 68mm BSC threaded bottom bracket shell, cable and hosuing routing is hybrid with longer full housing run for rear derailleur from TT down
- Frame and fork fit up to 40mm tires (depending on tire manufacturer, rim width)
- Includes: frame, fork, headset, thru-axles
- Sizes: XS, S, M, L, XL
- Color: Shoreline Teal/Black
- Weight: 4.78 lbs (frame, axle, hanger)