Cervelo R5 Dura-Ace R9170 Di2 Bicycle 2019 DEMO
This special purchase of Cervelo R5's started as display samples, built only for viewing, then transitioned to DEMO status. All may show some signs of extremely limited use, and most appear to be in showroom condition. Save now on a true pro-level road race bike while supplies last.
Cervelo's introduction of the Squoval.Max tubeset with the latest R5 is just one of several upgrades and changes for this premier, pro-level road race bike. One of the most important has been the reworking of the R5 Disc geometry back to more of a pro-fit starting point, but still with the ability to easily run 28mm tires at all times, even on 25mm wide rims. Cervelo aficionados will quickly identify the aero, square back seattube and seatpost. With this R5 Dura-Ace R9170 Di2 Disc Bicycle you get the ultra precise and super responsive Di2 electronic shifting system, impressive hydraulic disc braking, and wonderful ergonomics.
The massive square-oval design of the downtube makes the most impressive statement about Squoval.Max, but every tube on the R5 has been redeveloped to reduce weight, increase lateral stiffness without compromising vertical compliance, and maximizing aerodynamics. From front to back, the redesign fortifies at junctions for increased torsional stiffness to the tune of 21% at the headtube junction and 13% at the bottom bracket, while increased shape integration delivers 14-gram improvement in aerodynamics. The BB has been lowered, with a 72mm drop. The accompanying D-shaped Aero seatpost features a new rear fastening system, that gets hidden by a fitment that covers the entire junction, improving aerodynamics. The seattube/seatstay cluster exits out the back with a flattened section that adds torsional stiffness before reducing into the thin, vertically compliant stays the R-series bikes are known for.
The lowered bottom bracket, longer reach, lower stack, and shorter headtube of the R5 lengthen and drop the cycling position, in favor of a pro bike fit and weights the bike appropriately. The Cervelo R5 Disc carbon fork was built like the frame, with enhancements to the lateral base stiffness, tire clearance and aerodynamics. As aero research has pushed wheel manufacturers to wider rims, larger tires, and frame/fork air flow integration, cyclists have noticed that 25-28mm road tires can be fast, aero, and reduce road noise and impact. This pro race-ready R5 Disc bike takes full advantage.
Cervelo's aero integrated Future Proof cable routing that accommodates mechanical and electronic drivetrains carries over, along with the Reduced Friction Bottom Bracket Guide. The Di2 e-Tube wires run down into headube/downtube junction from a port just behind the headtube, similar to the aero-road S5 design. The disc brake model features 12mm thru-axle drop outs to complement the Flat Mount disc set-up, create consistent, perfect rotor alignment with increased overall stiffness and stability with greater tire clearance. Now these developments are catering to the pros who are looking for the full suite of advancements that come more effectively to disc frame design.
A long standing key to R5 and other Cervelo bike's lateral stiffness and performance has been the 79mm wide asymmetric BBright bottom bracket design. Cervelo simply changes the carbon lay-up in the fork and frame, through the SquovalMax tubeset to adapt the set-up for disc brake use. Cervelo adds their integrated Reduced Friction Bottom Bracket Guide, and Future Proof internal routing and interchangeable stop system for hydraulic, electronic or mechanical systems. A braze-on front derailleur tab is used, and the rear thru-axle dropout features a replaceable rear derailleur hanger. A rear facing, flush mount wedge system is used to secure the seatpost.
As a complete bike, the R5 Dura-Ace R9170 Di2 Disc takes full advantage of Shimano's flagship Dura-Ace R9170 11-speed Di2 electronic drivetrain, from the highly refined ergonomics of the Dual Control levers to the incredibly efficient R9150 Di2 derailleurs. The short cage rear derailleur handles an 11-30 cassette and the front offers great frame and tire clearance as chainlines get wider with the ruthlessly efficient shifting only Di2 can perform. The eTube wiring system, internal battery, and handlebar end junction simplify use and set-up. Cervelo specs the complete bike with the R9100 crankset, cassette and chain, so you enjoy the smoothest, quietest drivetrain made to date. The hydraulic disc brake calipers are the Dura-Ace R9170 models for the flat mount standard, and Cervelo stays on-key with the new Dura-Ace SM-RT900 160mm disc rotors.
The equipped kit is a great match for the drivetrain and overall specifications. The carbon Tubeless Ready DT Swiss PRC 1450 Spline 35 Center Lock Disc wheelset is a great example. The 35mm DT rims and high quality DT hubs make for an exceptionally durable and sure handling platform. The wheels carry 700x25 Vittoria Corsa TLR G2.0 tires. With good grip, excellent puncture protection, and smooth, long wearing ride, these are a great match for the wheelset. Cervelo supplies their SP-18 Carbon Seatpost, and their Carbon road stem. The alloy handlebar is the Cervelo Carbon AB06 Aero- which is finished with Cervelo bar tape. A Prologo Zero II NACK saddle fits and suits many cyclists. Finally, Cervelo provides an FSA IS-2 headset for the full carbon R5 Disc Fork with the tapered 1⅛" to 1½" steerer tube. It is important to note that Cervelo features the RAT thru-axles for both front and rear to speed up wheel changes and ensure a locked-in, reliable closure.
- Premium R-series pro-level road race bicycle equipped with Dura-Ace Di2
- Improved design and lower, more aggressive road race geometry favors responsive, assertive handling and acceleration with tremendous stability and ride quality
- Frame and fork designed specifically for flat mount disc brakes, thru-axles
- One-piece rear triangle, slender 1cm flat R5 seatstays
- Full SquovalMax tubeset design seriously improves lateral stiffness and aerodynamics with a sub 100 gram frame weight, 12/142 thru-axle dropout
- R5 Carbon Disc Fork, tapered 1⅛" to 1½" steerer, 12/100 thru-axle dropout and internal brake housing routing
- Tire clearance of frame/fork to 28mm depending on actual tire and rim specifications
- Future Proof internal cable routing and stop set for mechanical or electronic drivetrains, and internal brake housing
- Supplied 12mm RAT-type thru-axles front & rear: 12/100mm front,12/142mm rear
- Dura-Ace R9170/9050/9100 series 11-spd eTube wired Di2 drivetrain with R9170 Di2/Hydraulic brake Dual Control levers, 52-36 crank/rings, 11-30 cassette, Di2 R9150 front derailleur & rear derailleur, HG901 chain; R9170 flat mount disc calipers, RT900 160mm rotors, Cervelo BBright 24x90 bottom bracket
- Wheelset: DT Swiss PRC 1450 Spline 35 Center Lock Disc TR, with valves
- Tires: 700x25 Vittoria Corsa TLR G2.0 tires
- Kit: Cervelo AB06 Aero carbon bar, Cervelo 31.8mm Carbon Stem, Cervelo R5 SP-18 Carbon Seatpost, Cervelo bar wrap; Prologo Zero II NACK Saddle; FSA IS-2 Tapered 1⅛" to 1½" headset
- Component specifics by frame size
- 48cm Bar width: 38c-c, Stem length: 90mm, Crank length: 170mm
- 51cm Bar width: 40c-c, Stem length: 90mm, Crank length: 170mm
- 54cm/56cm Bar width: 42c-c, Stem length: 100mm, Crank length: 172.5mm
- 58cm Bar width: 44-c-c, Stem length: 110mm, Crank length: 175mm
- Color: Black/Graphite