Cervelo R5 SRAM eTap Disc Bicycle SAMPLE
This SAMPLE bike was assembled for photographs and display, before being packed and shipped to Excel Sports. We reassembled, inspected and tested each bike for full functionality. If you have any questions, please contact us: 800.627.6664 or email@example.com.
With a clean, simple look, ruthless efficiency, and incredible light weight, SRAM's eTap Disc component spec is a perfect match for the 2019 Cervelo R5 Disc frameset. This complete bike offering of the R5's Squoval.Max tubeset may be the ideal choice but is just one of several bike models for this special road race bike, albeit a premium option. One of the most important features of the current R5 has been bringing back the geometry to more of a pro-fit starting point, but having the ability to easily run 28mm tires at all times, even on 25mm wide rims. There is a marked increase in lateral stiffness in the frameset over the it's already excellent predecessor, as well as improved aerodynamics and overall ride quality.
Cervelo aficionados will quickly identify the aero, square back seattube and seatpost. This R5 is shipping with the SRAM Red 11-speed eTap wireless shifting, hydraulic disc brake groupset a set of carbon DT Swiss PRC 1450 Spline 35 Tubeless Ready wheels so there are no compromises in quality or specification. SRAM's development of the wireless eTap shifting system disrupted the cycling component world and has firmly established SRAM as an innovator and major player in the industry.
The massive square-oval design of the downtube makes the most impressive statement about Squoval.Max, but every tube on the R5 has been redeveloped to reduce weight, increase lateral stiffness without compromising vertical compliance, and maximizing aerodynamics. From front to back, the redesign fortifies at junctions for increased torsional stiffness to the tune of 21% at the headtube junction and 13% at the bottom bracket, while increased shape integration delivers 14-gram improvement in aerodynamics. The bottom bracket has been lowered, with a 72mm drop, rising up in a D-shaped flatback seattube that carries to the top. The accompanying D-shaped Aero seatpost features a new rear fastening system, that gets hidden by a fitment that covers the entire junction, improving aerodynamics. The seattube/seatstay cluster exits out the back with a flattened section that adds torsional stiffness before reducing into the thin, vertically compliant stays the R-series bikes are known for.
The lowered bottom bracket, longer reach, lower stack, and shorter headtube of the R5 lengthen and drop the cycling position, in favor of a pro bike fit and weights the bike appropriately. This centers rider weight, but keeps the proper proportion over the front wheel required for aggressive corning and overall stability. The Cervelo carbon fork was built like the frame, with enhancements to the lateral base stiffness, tire clearance and aerodynamics. The end result is a bike that carves mountain descents, rips criterium corners, and rolls true and balanced on the flats. Increased comfort comes not only from the more compliant D-shaped seatpost, but also with larger volume tires. As aerodynamics research has pushed wheel manufacturers to wider rims, larger tires, and frame/fork air flow integration, cyclists have noticed that 25-28mm road tires can be fast, aero, and reduce road noise and impact. This race-ready R5 takes full advantage.
Cervelo's aero integrated Future Proof cable routing that accommodates mechanical and electronic drivetrains carries over, along with the Reduced Friction Bottom Bracket Guide. The derailleur cables or wires run down into headube/downtube junction from a port just behind the headtube. One of the engineers' tasks with the R5 was to develop it, and the disc brake version, to be as close as possible in fit, function, feel, and frame performance.
SRAM's Red 22 eTap is known for it's light weight, overall performance, super clean installation and easy set-up. The HRD hydraulic disc brake version adds some vertical height to the levers, but remains slim and efficient. Braking itself is smooth, powerful, and reliable in all weather conditions. The Red 22 crankset and cassette provide a great platform to show off the smooth and precise eTap shifting. The HRD Flat Mount brake calipers control the SRAM CenterLine X 160mm disc rotors with aplomb.
Cervelo opted for a wide-ranging 11-speed drivetrain with the 52-36 crankset and the 11-28 cassette. The wheels are supplied by DT Swiss; the lightweight carbon PRC 1450 Spline 35 Disc are equipped with Continental GP4000s II 700x25mm clincher tires but come taped for Tubeless use, with valves. Cervelo supplies the square back SP18 carbon seatpost and updated Carbon Stem. The carbon theme continues with the is the Cervelo Carbon AB06 Aero bar- which is finished with Cervelo bar tape. An Italian-made ASTUTE Skyline Lab saddle looks new and fresh, bring a smart design and construction to the saddle world. Finally Cervelo provides an FSA IS-2 headset for the full carbon R5 Disc Fork with the tapered 1⅛" to 1½" steerer tube. It is important to note that Cervelo features the RAT thru-axles for both front and rear to speed up wheel changes and ensure a locked-in, reliable closure.
Finally, the finish of this 2019 Cervelo R5 SRAM eTap Disc Bicycle features a subtly beautiful matte Navy blue dominant color that is accentuated by red logos and some use of orange on the fork. It's different and distinctive in a pleasant way.
- New SAMPLE bicycle, under full warranty except for light finish issues, built for display and photography use; rebuilt and tested by Excel Sports bike techs
- Road race geometry, hydraulic disc brake, eTap wireless shifting complete bike built for performance, comfort and excellence in the in R5 tradition
- Improved design and lower, more aggressive road race geometry favors responsive, assertive handling
- One-piece rear triangle, slender 1cm flat R5 seatstays, no rim brake bridge
- Fulll SquovalMax tubeset design seriously improves lateral stiffness and aerodynamics with a sub 900 gram frame weight, 12/142 thru-axle dropout
- R5 Carbon Disc Fork, tapered 1⅛" to 1½" steerer, 12/100 thru-axle dropout and internal brake housing routing
- Tire clearance of frame/fork to 28mm depending on actual tire and rim specifications
- Future Proof internal cable routing and stop set for mechanical or electronic drivetrains, and internal brake housing
- Supplied 12mm RAT-type thru-axles front & rear: 12/100mm front,12/142mm rear
- Full SRAM Red 22 eTap series 11-spd drivetrain with HRD Hydraulic brake Doubletap levers, 52-36 BB30 crank/rings, XG 1190, 11-28, eTap front & rear derailleurs, chain; HRD Flat Mount disc calipers, CenterLine X 160mm rotors, Cervelo BBright 30x86 bottom bracket
- Wheelset: DT Swiss PRC 1450 Spline 35 Center Lock Disc (TR with valves)
- Tires: Continental GP 4000s II tires, with tubes
- Kit: Cervelo AB06 Aero carbon bar, Cervelo 31.8mm Carbon Stem, Cervelo R5 SP-18 Carbon Seatpost, Cervelo bar wrap; ASTUTE Skyline Lab saddle; FSA IS-2 Tapered 1⅛" to 1½" Headset
- Note: Fork steerer will come at full length (regardless of photos)
- Sample size: 56cm
- Color: Matte Navy/Red/Orange