Shimano RS685 Hydraulic STI Lever and Disc Brake Set
if you are have a mechanical Shimano 11 speed double groupset and have been itching to run it with hydraulic disc brakes, your levers and calipers have arrived. The RS685 Hydraulic STI Lever and Disc Brake Set is ready for you 11 speed drivetrain. RS685 is Shimano's non-group designation, but in build, quality and performance this an Ultegra level system. This set is huge development for any cyclocross, commuter, or even road disc rider that has been running mechanical disc brakes. You can now have the modulation, consistency and power of hydraulics simply by swapping out your shifter levers and calipers.
The 11 speed shifters are only slightly larger than Ultegra 6800 and work exactly as you would expect Ultegra shifters to work. The bodies house the master cylinders for the disc brakes. Set-up, installation and maintenance is actually quite simple and the disc brake hydraulic lines get wrapped under your bar tape just like traditional housing would. The brake levers can be adjusted up to 10mm for improved reach. Shimano's mineral oil system is clean and environmentally (and equipment) friendly. The disc calipers are actually the RS785 versions that run with the Di2 hydraulic disc system. These calipers have already been proven to deliver excellent power and feature IceTech, the cooling system that Shimano employs on the brake pads via cooling fins. This keeps the pads and caliper working properly, even under consistent braking on a long downhill ride. The pad life is extended without the damage overheating can wreak. Shimano recommends the Freeza disc rotors for optimal performance.
Recommended rotor size is 140-160mm. Your frame and fork may also dictate those choices. As a result rotors are sold separately. the post mount calipers are designed for 140mm rotors and can be adapted for 160mm. Although riding hydraulic disc brakes with a road lever won't feel quite the same as a mountain lever, once you become familiar with the leverage, your trust and familiarity will allow you truly exercise the power and feel this braking system has to offer. We believe cyclists of all levels can benefit from hydraulic road braking. Get the all-conditions stopping power for your road or cross bike you have been longing for. Shimano has nailed it with the RS685 system.
- Hydraulic STI and disc caliper set for Shimano 11 speed mechanical drivetrains
- RS685 STI levers function like mechanical Ultegra 6800, houses master cylinders
- Hydraulic hose and Easy Hose Joint System fittings included
- Disc system uses mineral oil to as hydraulic fluid
- Shift cables, housings, small parts included
- Includes BR-RS785 post mount brake calipers for 140mm (adapt to 160 if desired)
- Calipers are post mount, weigh 262 grams each, brake pads included
- Recommended rotor size: 140mm, up to 160mm with adapter (rotors not included)
- IceTech finned disc pads dissipate heat to maintain performance, pad life
- Pad design shared with M8000/9000 mountain calipers
- Clean and simple bleeding/maintenance system
- Designed for Shimano 11 speed drivetrains with mechanical (cable) shifting