SRAM Red GXP Crankset
It seems like just a few years ago that SRAM shocked the world with the lightweight Red® groupset. As it has evolved since its introduction in 2007, the nomenclature has changed, Red was available in a black/yellow scheme, and the 22 designation has gone by the wayside. Now Red is just Red again, but is essentially Red 22 with a new finish and graphics- got all that? The big change for SRAM is eTap, but more on that in a minute. The SRAM Red GXP Crankset is just as listed. This is the road double chainring crankset for 11-speed using the 24mm stepped crank axle system. And though it carries many of the evolving SRAM technologies that have made Red what it is, the Chicago-based company planned ahead with Red 22, developing the crank and chainrings for the requirements of the new wireless eTap drivetrain drive development.
The motorized shifting system of eTap may be powered by simple batteries, but it is very powerful, and just as Shimano stiffened their chainrings to optimize the shifting capabilities of the front derailleur. The stiff X-GlideR™ chainrings feature thicker construction and advanced shift timing pins and ramps, which are optimized for shifting with eTap and the Yaw™ mechanical front derailleur. The spider of the Exogram™ hollow core carbon crankset was also modified and stiffened to complement the rings, with a 5 bolt pattern, but the 5th arm integrates with the driveside arm, and uses a hidden bolt design. The overall effect is a stronger, stiffer crank arm of the pre-Red 22 cranksets, and when combined with the rings, is easily the stiffest crankset SRAM has ever built. While eTap requires such stiffness, mechanical drivetrain users will also benefit from the increase in stiffness and the X-GlideR pins and ramps.
Otherwise, this GXP crankset will seem familiar. At under 560 grams complete with rings, the cranks maintain the Red standard of light weight while being the best performing version to date. The aesthetic of the spider design is sleek and attractive, as are the rings with new graphics and black on black color scheme. Lightweight. Performance. Good looks. Yes, this is SRAM Red as we knew it in 2007, but infinitely better.
- GXP standard Red® double chainring road crankset for 11-speed, optimized for eTap
- Fully rated for eTap / mechanical SRAM 11 drivetrains using Yaw™ front derailleurs
- Exogram hollow carbon construction with new spider design, drive-arm hidden bolt
- Stiff X-GlideR™ rings with thicker construction, advanced shift timing pins/ramps
- Stiffest road crankset SRAM has ever developed
- Hidden bolt pattern optimizes carbon construction, delivers a sleek appearance
- Designed for 24mm stepped GXP bottom bracket systems (BB not included)
- Cranks length options: 170, 172.5, 175mm
- Chainring options: 50/34, 52/36 (110 BCD), 53/39(130 BCD)
- Color: UD Carbon Black