Shimano Ultegra BR-R8010 Direct Mount Brake Calipers
Direct Mount rim brake road calipers continue to gain traction with bike and fork manufacturers. The reasons are simple. First, having two direct mounting points add stiffness to the caliper assembly while reducing weight. Second, direct mount allows engineers to optimize for strength and power distribution while generally lowering weight. Third, the direct mount design, when coupled with thoughtful design, can be much more aerodynamic than dual-pivot calipers. When Shimano released the R9100 Dura-Ace group, the Direct Mount calipers got upgraded, and the design and features largely carry over to Ultegra, just with slightly heavier materials.
The BR-R8010 Direct Mount Brake Calipers offer 28mm tire clearance, work with external rim widths from 20.8-28mm, and have the standard 51mm reach. The angle and pivot adjustable magnesium pad holder and R55C4 standard Shimano brake pads offer a perfect set-up every time. The cable tension adjuster is tactile and easy to use. Shimano changed the function and finish position of the open/close lever. There is no longer a graduated adjustment and the lever aligns over the caliper arm when the brakes are closed for better aerodynamics. Shimano has maintained the same cable pull ratio as the R9100, 9000, 6800, 5800 series levers, so you can upgrade or replace your calipers as desired or required.
In order to improve overall power and aerodynamics, the aluminum caliper has been reshaped, with augmentation to provide greater stiffness and more consistent braking under heavy power. This may be noticeable more to heavier riders, or those who tend to brake as late as is feasible. It will take a truly sensitive rider to feel improvement in feel, as the 9000/6800 series direct mount brakes were highly impressive in this regard, but most will notice subtleties when paired with R9100/R8000 series levers, as the ergonomics and leverage in the dual control lever do feel different, despite the carry over of the cable pull ratio.
Shimano has created a super smooth, linear feel with their SLR-EV standard and with added power and a cleaner profile the Ultegra BR-R8010 Direct Mount Brake Calipers deliver excellent performance on par with Dura-Ace 9100 with only a slight weight penalty. This pair includes the fork mount BR-8010-F front brake caliper and the BR-8010-R, which is the under chainstay mount design commonly used on aero road and TT/Tri bikes. There is a BR-R8010-RS made as well, not included, which is for rear use, on the seat stays.
- Direct mount style, SLR-EV road rim brake calipers for Shimano 11-speed levers
- Exceptional power, linear feel, with easy install and set-up, tire clearance to 28mm
- Increase in power with less effort when used with R9100/9150/8000/8050 STI levers
- Also compatible with 9000, 6800, and 5800 series 11-speed levers
- Pivoting, angling shoe cartridges, with R55C4 standard pads for alloy rims included
- Work with external rim widths from 20.8-28mm, and have the standard 51mm reach
- Angular design adds aerodynamics to strengthened aluminum caliper features
- Top quality springs, titanium pivots and hardware, accessible tool access for easy use
- Release lever now just open or closed, closed inline with caliper to reduce drag
- Clearance around tire crown for 28mm tires (tires vary with purpose/manufacturer)
- More control, better feel and power results in use predictability, rider confidence
- Sold as a pair, 49mm spacing between mounting points front & rear; M6x1 thread
- Includes: Fork mount R8010-F, Under Chainstay mount behind BB R8010-R
- Color: Dark Satin Ultegra Grey
- Weight: 174g front, 160g rear