The most common threading issue seen in bike shops comes from improper pedal installation. This is due to the left hand threads found on the non-drive crankarm, which prevent the pedal from un-threading as the crank is spun through each revolution. The right side crank arm has standard right hand threading. The Park Tool TAP-3 pair of crankarm thread taps fits the 1/2 pedal axle standard, and delivers the proper right and left side thread taps. Generally 1/2" threads are found on older BMX bikes or old or new bikes that have a one-piece crankset, most common on low-end models or children's bikes.
Threads are often damaged from an installer attempting to install a pedal on the opposite side, not realizing that both pedals and crankarms feature the right/left specific threading. Park makes the TAP-3 from hardened carbon tool steel, with sharp, precise thread cutters for each side, which feature the same thread size 1/2" x 20 TPI, but the specific right/left application. Can be used on steel and aluminum crank arms. The TAP-3 is properly used with a standard tap handle, and the TAP-3 works with Park's TH-1 or TH-2, but generally the TH-2 will be more appropriate.Return to Top
- Park crank arm tap pair for 1/2"mm x 20 TPI receiving threads
- Taps are right and left specific to match the crankarm threading direction
- Hardened carbon tool steel with precision machined tap threading
- Park recommends the TH-2 tap handle for proper and accurate use
- Always confirm thread pitch and pitch diameter, and use cutting fluid