Reynolds AR29 X DB Wheelset
As a real upgrade from the AR29 DB, the AR29 X DB may be the better wheel for those who will truly out them through Allroad potential. A hub upgrade with better engagement, along with advances in spokes and lighter nipples- not to mention improved finishing- all contribute a lighter and more responsive wheelset.
Cycling enthusiasts have generally embraced carbon rim, tubeless ready, disc brake wheels as standard equipment, even for allroad use, which may include dirt, urban, pavement, and mixed-surface roads. The wider rims allow for greater range, matching many of today's framesets. The AR29 DB X features a 30mm profile that is modestly aero, especially with 28-30mm tires, and more forgiving then deeper section wheels. Having a 29.5mm max external rim width (21mm IRW) when running 28-32mm "road" tire gives the rider more grip, control, stability and comfort over various road surfaces, but you can safely and seriously put 700x40 tires to good use on this design. Reynolds has long offered reliable and versatile carbon wheels at great price points, and are perfectly positioned with the AR29 X DB Carbon Wheelset to capture even more of the market.
The Reynolds AR X series wheels feature their excellent Allroads hubset, the product of a collaboration with Industry Nine. Machined shells, oversized alloy axles, higher quality sealed cartridge bearings, a super durable and resistant anodized finish are all improvements, but the 4 pawl, 10 degree engagement of the interchangeable freehub systems is fast, sure, and solid while minimizing friction. The Sapim spokes are the CX-Sprint bladed versions, and they are laced with lighter, but still serviceable exterior alloy nipples. Waterslide graphics and and a painted rim finish show quality with subtle flair and better longevity. Both front and rear wheels are 24 hole, and laced 2x/2x. For this disc version, the hubs come set-up 12/100mm and 12/142mm thru-axle, with 15mm front endcaps included if that is what you run. 25mm tubeless tape comes installed, and Reynolds adds their 45mm tubeless valves, though you can certainly run clincher tires if preferred. The finished wheel design offers a serious footprint and excellent crosswind stability. The wheels accelerate quickly, handle great, and maximize the benefits of tubeless tires in proper widths. Make sure you register your wheels through the Hayes/Reynolds website for excellent protection and coverage.
- Upgraded low profile carbon disc brake wheelset for intended for allroad (AR) use, Tubeless Ready
- Hubset, spokes, nipples, finish system, weight all upgraded from standard AR29 version
- Rim specs: 30mm depth, 21mm internal rim width, 29.5mm max external rim width
- Wide, PR3 design, tubeless ready rim provides better fit for higher volume tires that increase grip, lower rolling resistance and provide greater comfort
- Rims can be used with clincher or tubeless tires (we'd recommend 28-38mm w/ clincher use)
- Refined, wider rim shapes have been optimized for crosswind stability at a variety of yaw angles
- Spokes/lacing: Sapim CX-Sprint bladed, straight pull, 24F/24R 2x/2x, with external alloy nipples
- Hubset: Straight Pull, CL Disc, Reynolds Allroad, w/4 pawl, 10° engagement, interchangeable freehub
- Axle type: 12/100mm TA Front, 12/142mm TA Rear
- Comes with 25mm tubeless tape installed, 45mm tubeless valves, 15mm front TA endcaps, lifetime warranty (register through Reynolds-Hayes), user manual
- Recommended tubeless tire range: 28-40mm (28-30 optimal aero benefit with road tires)
- Freehub options: Shimano 11s, SRAM XDR 12s
- Finish: Carbon w/ Black water slide
- Weight: 1455 grams (listed)