Roval CLX 50 Disc Rear Wheel
The wonderfully, light, incredibly fast, and ideally stable Roval CLX 50 wheel design pairs a carefully designed rim profile with DT Aerolite bladed spokes. It is aerodynamically superior to many deeper rims, yet retains superb real-world handling, is light enough to climb with authority, and has racked up more pro wins than any other wheel from Paris-Roubaix, to World Championships, to Grand Tour stages. The pedigree is undeniable, as is the overall performance and build quality. Roval offers the front and rear wheel separately, and this item is the rear wheel
The handbuilt carbon CLX 50mm deep disc rim is fully modern in width and features. It is hooked for clincher or tubeless tire use, and tests faster than shallow rims in all conditions, even heavy crosswinds. Aerodynamically, it outperforms many deeper-section aero rims without suffering the weight and handling drawbacks associated with deeper wheels. At 200-grams lighter than the closest competition, the CLX 50 is an incredible all-conditions choice. Stability also comes from the 21mm internal rim width and the accompanying 29.4mm external width. The strength, durability and resiliency of the disc rim structure ensures the safety with either tire system choice and is capable of carrying tires from 22-47mm, making it perfect for supporting new-school rubber for road or gravel tire width optimization.
The Aero Flange (AFD2) rear hub found on the rear CLX 50 wheel is the true basis of this fast, strong, light, slippery wheel. Aerodynamically optimized, with wide-bracing angles for increased strength and reduced spoke weight, the AFD2 feature ultra-smooth CeramicSpeed bearings and the refined precision of DT Swiss 240 freehub internals, with an interchangeable freehub body. The wheel is hand-laced with DT Aerolite T-head bladed spokes, which test measurably faster than round spokes. Note the paired spoke 2:1 lacing pattern, which is proprietary to Roval's system-designed wheels. The Aerolites are laced with Pro Lock hexagonal nipples in 2x on the driveside, and 1x on the non-drive side, in the 2:1 ratio. You get incredible strength and stiffness from the high tension, but the Aerolites offer some vertical give that protects the rim and rider from impacts, as well as mitigating some of the road buzz that makes it way to the rider via the fork.
Results are results, and the CLX 50 is a proven winner. This is just the 770 gram rear wheel. If you are looking for a serious wheelset upgrade to your road or allroad bike, there is no better option at 1415 grams under $2500 (front and rear combined), or possibly even $500+ more.
- Lightweight speed, stability and performance in a carbon rear wheel with CeramicSpeed bearings
- Handbuilt carbon rear wheel with Clincher/2Bliss Ready disc brake rims
- Wind tunnel tested CFD driven rim shapes to account for yaw angles and tires
- Built with Roval's integrated wheel systems approach to ensure reliability, performance and the lightest weight possible
- CLX 50 Disc rim spec: Depth 50mm, IRW 21mm, ERW 29.4mm
- Compatible with 700c tires between 22-47mm
- Roval AFD2 Rear hub, Center Lock, CeramicSpeed bearings, DT Swiss 240 internals, 11s Shimano freehub- interchangeable system
- Spoke holes drilled at precisely the angle the nipple head will interface with the rim
- Rear wheel: 24 DT Aerolite T-head spokes, laced w/ Pro Lock brass hexagonal nipples; 2x on the driveside, and 1x on the non-drive side, 2:1 ratio
- Dropout/Axle system: 12/142mm thru-axle (Also comes with endcaps for QR 135mm use)
- Disc rotor interface: Center Lock
- Includes: Tubeless tape and valves (installed), Roval Padded Wheelbag
- Size: 700c Rear wheel
- Freehub: Shimano/SRAM 11s road
- Color: Carbon/Gloss Black
- Weight: 770 grams