Roval Rapide CL 50 Wheelset
The concept of what makes an "attacking", all-around wheelset has been flipped with the proven attributes and real world capacity of a rim brake wheelset such as the Roval CL 50. At 1375 grams for set it is more than competitively lightweight, yet carries a 50mm profile 2Bliss Ready full carbon rim that has an internal width of 20.7mm. The max external rim width is 29.4mm, which speaks to it's shaping and overall design. Roval generates wind tunnel tested, CFD driven rim shapes to account for yaw angles and tires, as well as testing with parent company Specialized's pro teams and cyclists to fully understand the variables and requirements of the road that CFD can only model.
Aerodynamically, the CL50 outperforms many deeper-section aero rims without suffering the weight and handling drawbacks associated with deeper wheels. The lightning quick response, adept and stable handling, and great rolling speed make the CL 50 Wheelset a true option for the attacking cyclist who loves to climb and descend, as well as strategically breakaway from the pack, knowing the speed and efficiency needed to maintain a gap. The rim is shaped to manage the air better at the tire rim interface. It appears the design will be aero optimal with 25-28mm tires, though keep in mind wider rims can accentuate width of many tire designs, both clincher and tubeless.
Of course, control and stability also include braking, and the textured brake track of the clincher-tubeless rim design is optimized for wet and dry feel and power. The wider rim is a benefit here again for power and modulation as well as for heat management. The air space with in the rim can be utilized to dissipate heat internally, while the texture adds friction, which when combined with the proper brake pads, generates less heat when subtly applying the brakes. Roval works with SwissStop on pad formulas and the brake track of the CL50 combines with their Black Prince pad. These are included, and also happen to be one of our best selling carbon brake pads.
Roval builds wheel systems, not wheels. Each component part (rim, spokes, nipples, hub) has been carefully chosen and optimized to work together. In other words, you can't buy a Roval rim then lace it to whatever hub you want. From and engineering perspective, spoke angles, tension, how the the nipple interacts with the rim, etc., have been developed to produce the exact performance, weight, and overall ride characteristics that each wheelset is intended for. Hence, you see the Roval AF1 hubset, with sculpted aluminum bodies and aero flanges that are a specific height and angle to both shorten spoke length, and create the proper path to the rim. The rim has spoke hole drilling that reduces risk of damage at high tension, and factors in the head shape of the nipple and how it interacts with the rim. This is pure engineering, with each component designed for specifications in load, strength, and functionality.
By designing and creating their own hubs, Roval dictates the internal specifications, and they built the AF1 hubset around standardized sealed cartridge bearings, oversized alloy axles, and end caps while the rear features DT Swiss 350 internals, which have one of the most reliable, easy to service, and exceptionally durable designs made. The DT Star Ratchet freehub body system, with proven seals and precision keep the wheels rolling fast and long, while offering the ability to easily replace, upgrade or switch the freehub (DT calls a freehub body a "rotor"). DT also provides the spokes for the CL50, with their Competition Race T-head design ideal for high tension and resilience, along with their brass Pro Lock hexagonal nipples. The front wheel carries 16 spokes, laced in the radial pattern, while the rear features 21, laced radial on the non-drive side, and 2x on the drive side. The nipples can be accessed externally for simplified tension maintenance.
The CL50 Wheelset comes with Roval quick release skewers for 100mm front and 130mm rear standard road hub widths, Black Prince brake pads (for Shim/SRAM type holders), their Lifetime Warranty and Crash Protection program. The build and finishes are exquisite, with the Satin Carbon rim simple carrying gloss black graphics. If you feel your wheelset just isn't giving your the proper balance of speed, handling, and responsiveness for all-around riding and racing, or are simply building up a new rim brake frameset, the lightweight CL50 from Roval delivers on it's design and engineering goals at a great pricepoint.
- Ideal all-around 50mm aero road wheelset for rim brake equipped bikes; lightweight, fast, stable
- The CL 50 rim tests faster than shallow rims in all conditions, even heavy crosswinds
- Handmade carbon wheels with Clincher/2Bliss Ready rims
- CL 50 Rim spec: Depth 50mm, IRW 20.7mm , ERW 29.4mm, Brake track height: 12mm
- Compatible with tires between 22-47c, though the braking system and frame design will determine
- AF1 Aero Flange straight pull hubs are aerodynamically optimized, with wide bracing angles for increased strength and reduced spoke weight
- High quality DT Swiss 350 rear hub internals: high reliability/durability, easy service, parts available
- Wind tunnel tested CFD driven rim shapes to account for yaw angles and tires
- Built with integrated systems approach to ensure reliability, performance and the lightest weight possible
- Spoke holes drilled at precisely the angle the nipple head will interface with the rim
- Front wheel: 16 DT Competition Race T-head spokes, laced radial w/ DT Pro Lock brass hexagonal nipples
- Rear wheel: 21 DT Competition Race T-head spokes, laced radial non-drive, 2x driveside w/ Pro Lock brass hexagonal nipples
- Rear hub features DT 350 Star Ratchet system and interchangeable freehub body (DT calls "rotor")
- Optimized brake tracks for Roval Red & Swiss Stop Black Prince brake pads
- Designed for a maximum rider weight of 240lbs (109kg)
- Lifetime warranty, No Fault Crash Replacement (see details on Roval's website)
- Includes: Roval steel quick-releases (for 100/130mm d/o), Roval tubeless plugs/valves, SwissStop Black Prince brake pads
- Size: 700c
- Freehub: Shimano HG, SRAM 11s
- Finish: Satin Carbon/Black
- Weight: 1375 grams (set, FT 607g, RR 768g)