Terra CLX Front Wheel
Although available as a set, we carry many wheels such as this Terra CLX in front and rear instead, allowing buyers to select the rear freehub option separately. Match this front to the rear of your choice for a complete set. There are many things to be said about the Roval Terra CLX disc brake wheels. Suffice to say that if you are looking for an exceptional quality, all-road, carbon 2Bliss Ready/clincher option with a 25mm internal rim width that come in as a set at 1296 grams taped and valved, you have found them. Roval applied serious engineering and testing to build these incredible wheels that are as at home on gravel and the cyclocross course as it is on the road, and here is a bit of the story to help you see how exceptional and impressive this wheel design.
The Terra CLX rim and wheel design was heavily tested through a series of prototypes in the lab, and then out on the varied terrain it was being developed to dominate This iterative process created the CLX disc-specific rim, a 368 gram, 32mm tall handmade construction that can carry clincher or tubeless 28-47mm tires, with a wide pressure range. The Advanced Carbon Composite rim carries a hooked-bead to support the clincher and up to 90psi in 28mm tires. One can debate the hookless vs hooked issue, but history has proven the hooked-bead works and offers more overall versatility. The 25mm internal width gives great tire tape throughout the range, with more road aero value with 28-30mm tires. What you ride is up to you, and the wheels can manage any road, gravel or cross exigencies.
Roval designs and manufactures their own hubs for a few reasons. First is that Roval builds wheel systems, not wheels. Each component part (rim, spokes, nipples, hub) has been carefully chosen and optimized to work together. In other words, you can't buy a Roval rim then lace it to whatever hub you want. From and engineering perspective, spoke angles, tension, how the the nipple interacts with the rim, etc., have been developed to produce the exact performance, weight, and overall ride characteristics that each wheel is intended for. Hence, you see the 12/100 mm thru-axle Roval AFD1 front hub, with a sculpted aluminum body and aero flanges that are a specific height and angle to both shorten spoke length, and create the proper path to the rim. The rim has spoke hole drilling that reduces risk of damage at high tension, and factors in the head shape of the nipple and how it interacts with the rim. This is pure engineering, with each component designed for specifications in load, strength, and functionality.
By designing and creating their own hubs within the system concept, Roval dictates the internal specifications, and they built the AFD1 front Center Lock disc hub around standardized sealed cartridge bearings, an oversized alloy axle and end caps. DT Swiss provides the spokes for the Terra CLX, with their butted, and lightly bladed Aerolite T-head design ideal for high tension and resilience, along with their alloy Pro Lock hexagonal nipples. The front wheel carries 21 spokes, in Roval's 2:1 lacing process: doubling the spoke count on one side. On the front wheel, the disc mount is the dominant side and is laced 2x, with the other side being laced radial, rarity which can be safely achieved thanks to the exemplary engineering, stoutness of the rim and hub flange, as well as the incredible tension load borne by the Aerolites. The nipples allow for external true and tension service, if needed, so there is no need to disturb a tubeless set-up to get the job done.
Roval delivers an incredibly strong and versatile front wheel in the Terra CLX, and covers it with their Lifetime Warranty and Crash Protection program. The build and finishes are exquisite, with the Satin Carbon rim simple carrying gloss black graphics. Rated for a rider weight 240lb max, the wheel comes prepped for tubeless use, or in Specialized-Roval terms, 2Bliss Ready. The sub 1300 gram wheelset weight is astounding enough, and that is the official weight with tubeless tape and valve installed. That is also a rarity, as most wheels are weighed bare, but Roval has long done things their own way, and with the Terra CLX, you are the beneficiary.Return to Top
- Superlight all-road 32mm front wheel for disc brake equipped bikes; strong, agile, responsive
- Handbuilt carbon disc brake only tubeless ready wheelset optimal for road, gravel, and cyclocross
- Compatible with tires ranging from 28c to 47c wide (28's can be run up to 90psi)
- Terra CLX Rim spec: Depth 32mm, IRW 25mm, 368 grams, hook-bead 2Bliss & clincher rim design
- Made with Advanced Carbon Composite for lightweight and structural strength
- Designed with thorough prototyping and subjected to thousands of hours lab testing then field tested by riders on all terrain and in all conditions
- Built with integrated systems approach to ensure reliability, performance and the lightest weight possible
- Spoke holes drilled at precisely the angle the nipple head will interface with the rim
- Roval AFD1 FT Aero Flange Center Lock Disc brake straight pull hub; aerodynamically optimized, with wide bracing angles for increased strength and reduced spoke weight
- Roval features a 2:1 lacing process: doubling the spoke count on one side (drive on the rear, disc mount on the front)
- Front wheel: 21 DT Aerolite T-head spokes, laced radial non-disc side, 2x disc-side w/ DT Pro Lock alloy hexagonal nipples
- Designed for a maximum rider weight of 275lbs (125kg)
- Lifetime warranty, No Fault Crash Replacement (see details on Roval's website)
- Includes: Roval padded wheelbag, Roval tubeless rim tape and valve (pre-installed)
- Axle: 12/100mm thru-axle
- Disc brake rotor mount: Center Lock
- Size: 700c
- Finish: Satin Carbon/Black
- Weight: 1296 grams (wheelset w/ tubeless tape, tubeless valves)