If you are looking for a supremely fast, exceptionally high quality road race wheelset that will devour rolling and flat terrain while still allowing you to be competitive on climbs and dominate descents, the Schmolke TLO 62 Disc Wheelset may well be your top choice. To develop some of the lightest, yet strongest and highest performing carbon wheels made today, Schmolke not only continually improves through expert design and material science, but also draws on a deep history of working with carbon. Stefan Schmolke was the first to develop a carbon fiber handlebar, back in 1992, a complex shaped object that required years of development and study in the use of carbon to create and define the precision, strength and repeatability required for making components. Schmolke doesn't aim to provide wheels or other components for the masses, but to continually push the application of carbon fiber construction and technology to higher levels, at the lightest weights, and with ultra-premium performance. Such is the defining purpose of the TLO 62 Disc Wheelset, an incredible pro-race level carbon model that you can safely ride every day. The proven tubeless ready/clincher disc brake rim design is aero, strong, and responsive, and as built with into a complete wheels with DT Swiss 180 ceramic-bearing equipped hubs and Sapim's legendary CX-Ray spokes, weighs in at 1590 grams for the set. This is a wheelset that doesn't compromise- it simply delivers excellence and supreme confidence in all aspects of road racing.
Ultimately the key to the TLO, or "The Lightest Weight" wheel models is Schmolke's use of Torayca T1000 carbon fiber as the foundation of the rim's layup. The exceptionally high tensile strength of the fibers allows for the use of less material, particularly when the company' builds out the laminate rim in a more complex layer structure than is possible with T800 grade fiber. It is this combination that keeps the rim weights exceedingly low, without any degradation of strength, stiffness or overall reliability. The result is a rim that handle high spoke tension and maintains this tension exceedingly well, even under the high stress actions of sprinting, power up a climb, riding on rough surfaces, or descending at high speeds. The rim structure itself is shaped for speed and efficiency, and the light rotational weight supports rapid acceleration that begins at the rear hub, and carried out to the tire with minimized energy loss.
While the TLO 62 Disc Wheelset is offered with even lighter weight hubs, this version is built around the DT Swiss 180 CL Disc hubset, which is not only light (92 grams front, 188 grams rear), but stiffer thanks to wider bearing placement, the 12mm thru-axle system, and even more responsive in the rear with the EXP Ratchet system that delivers 10 degree engagement with 36 ratchet teeth. Though light, it may be the most efficient hub DT has ever offered. The bodies have carbon fiber shells, with machined aluminum straight-pull flanges, and the internals roll in SINC silicon nitride (Si3N4) ceramic bearings with steel races to reduce as much friction as possible. Both front and and rear wheels are 24 hole, laced 2X/2X with Sapim's CX-Ray 2.0 spokes and internal nipples.
Schmolke rates the wheelset for a max 240lb rider weight. The rims have a 17.6mm internal rim width, with a 26mm max external width. The aero optimal tire size is 25mm, and if you run a clincher tire with a tube the max pressure at this size is 115psi. Many cyclists will opt for a 28mm tire, perhaps sacrificing a little aerodynamic tire/rim relationship, but gaining lower rolling resistance and a slightly more forgiving ride- a rationale better served by tubeless ready tire selection.
Few wheels we have seen have a better finish quality and overall aesthetic, thanks to the impeccable construction and design. Will a Schmolke TLO 62 Disc Wheelset make you a better, faster cyclist? By the numbers and characteristics, this should be true- so long as you have the will and capability to push them to their highest performance level. By delivering efficient speed, exceptional power transfer out from the cassette, and improving your handling and bike control confidence, the 1590 gram wheelset could well inherently improve you as a rider. There may be no better upgrade to an already impressive race-level road bike.Return to Top
- Ultra-premium carbon disc brake wheelset with high-mid depth profile optimized for pure road race performance
- "TLO" = The Lightest One- as in the lightest version of this hub and rim configuration>
- TLO rims employ best carbon fibers available for the application, Torayca T1000
- Fiber tensile strength is 16% higher than T800, at lighter weight
- TLO laminates use a more complex layer structure- and in combination with the inherent properties of the fibers themselves results record weights; without compromising either reliability or stiffness
- Wheels built at high tension for maximal performance in acceleration and handling
- Straight-pull spokes and hub flanges allow the spokes to move under impact, protecting the rim and the rider without sacrificing wheel tension or performance
- Rim spec: 62mm depth, 17.6mm IRW, 26mm ERW, Tubeless Ready
- Hubset: DT Swiss 180, Thru-axle, Center Lock disc interface, straight-pull flange design, carbon shells with machined aluminum flanges, SINC (silicon nitride - Si3N4) ceramic bearings
- Rear wheel features the DT EXP Ratchet system- 36T ratchet ring design with 10° engagement
- The rear hub is easily serviced by hand, and works with all DT EXP interchangeable freehub bodies
- Sapim CX Ray 2.0 wasted/bladed spokes feature unique strength and flexibility, 24 front and rear, laced 2x straight-pull, internal hex nipples
- Max rider weight: 240lbs
- Recommended pressure for clincher tire with tube: 23mm- 130psi | 25mm- 115psi | 28mm- 100psi
- Thru-axle hub diameter/spacing: 12/100mm front, 12/142mm rear
- Wheels are taped for tubeless use, with valves, and come with a padded dual wheel bag
- Freehub versions: Shimano/SRAM 11s road, SRAM XDR 12s road
- Size: 700c
- Finish: Carbon/Black
- Weight: 1590 grams (set)