Shimano 105 FD-R7000 Front Derailleur
As with the R9100 and R8000 groups, the Shimano 105 R7000 front derailleur has been re-engineered for greater efficiency, frame and tire clearance, and improved chainline with the wider spacing found on disc brake bikes.The design and function is essentially the same as the higher end versions, but the FD-R7000 has a more cost effective mechanical build and hardware.
With the increased emphasis on road disc bikes, with 135 and 142mm rear dropouts and larger volume tires, the long lever action of 1st generation 11-speed front derailleur model had to change. Shimano delivered a whole new design that accommodates a wider gear pitch and rear spacing without sacrificing shifting performance while finding a more flexible cable routing design. The FD-R7000 has an integrated cable tension setting for precise setup and tool-free adjustment, another improvement over the 105 5800 version.
As far as physical shifting mechanics, the more complicated, yet compact R7000 design has 7 link bushings (rather than 8 found on R9100/8000 models) with construction features and shift lever integration that matches the natural force curve of the hand during lever throw to reduce effort at the end of the shift. This is characteristic of Shimano's engineering approach, so while you can use the R7000 front derailleur with the 5800 shifter, it won't function to its full capability.
Build wise, the FD-R7000 Front Derailleur has the expected chrome-plated steel chain guide you expect, stainless steel hardware and bolts, and a steel inner link opposing the Graphene Fiber Reinforced Plastic outer link. The base bracket is forged and painted aluminum, which carries over on the clamp models for the clamp itself. This R7000 component is actually 2-3 grams heavier than it's predecessor, and only 3 grams heavier than the Ultegra R8000, which does have a bit of a mechanical upgrade but not one that many cyclists could compare and feel the difference. One more reason Shimano 105 R7000 is building such a strong market presence.
- Redesigned 11-spd cable actuated front derailleur for 2x drivetrain
- Increased frame, wheel clearance, with improved mechanical advantage
- Optimized for wider dropouts, greater gearing range, efficiency
- Construction matches natural force curve of hand to reduce shift effort
- Integrated cable tension setting for precise setup, tool-free adjustment
- Chrome-plated steel chain guide for max durability, stiffness
- Steel, GFRP links; 7 link bushings
- Stainless steel bolts, screws, hardware
- Chainline: 43.5mm
- Top gear ring range: 46-53T, max small/big differential: 16T/li>
- Options: Braze-on, 31.8mm clamp (28.6 with shims), 34.9mm clamp
- Color: Silky Black, Spark Silver
- Weight: Braze-on 95g, Clamp 111g