Shimano GRX ST-RX810-LA Brake Lever with Caliper
The GRX gravel group options include a first for Shimano road-style components, a 1x drivetrain option but one with the realities and practicalities of gravel riding. As such, it was necessary to develop a left side brake lever without a shift mechanism, another first since STI Dual Control arrived with 8-speed. The GRX ST-RX810-LA Brake Lever with Caliper Set is just that, a left side front brake lever, shaped just as the GRX mechanical shift/brake lever is, with a fully set-up pre-bled, Flat Mount BR-RX810 Front hydraulic disc brake caliper. However, the LA designation indicates a twist. In this case the Lever has a secondary function- not for shifting- but for actuating a cable-driven dropper seat post. You see- a gravel specific practicality. As simple, and practical as this sounds, Shimano has been late to the 1x drivetrain party and even though aftermarket parts would allow for their 11-speed road drivetrains to run as 1x set-ups, the rider still had to use a Dual Control lever for the brake on the left side. Now this Dropper variation adds even more integration and functionality, just as the GRX BL-RX810 Brake Lever is warmly welcomed, so too is the this GRX ST-RX810-LA Brake Lever. Again, this design is intended only for GRX 1x use.
Shimano developed GRX for the rough terrain and mixed surfaces that make gravel riding so challenging, fatiguing and fun. The ergonomics make for easier leverage, hand positions, comfort and tactile use despite the constant vibration and small impacts of gravel riding. The brake lever blade feels correct and proper with a standard road drop bar shape, as well as the flared drop bars popular for gravel. Shimano applies their ServoWave action and Reach Adjust system for the hydraulic brake system. The ergonomics are just as noticeable with the Dropper actuation, with cable stroke leverage of 8.3mm, which is consistent with many cable-actuated dropper posts. Keep in mind that some posts are full mechanical- with complete cable operation, while others use a cable to trigger a hydraulic action. This lever should work with most of both types, but check with the manufacturer tech specifications to be sure.
This set consists of the left-side ST-RX810-LA Brake Lever with the BR-RX810 Flat Mount BR-RX810-F hydraulic disc brake caliper. It comes with with IceTech finned disc brake pads, and all necessary hardware. The system is pre-bled and connected via the SM-BH90-JK-SSR hydraulic hose system from lever to caliper. Shimano's Mineral Oil hydraulic system makes it fairly simple to set the proper housing length and bleed for best braking contact, as well as overall bleeding and service requirements.
- Left side hydraulic GRX Brake lever featuring "shift" action that can actuate a dropper-style seatpost, in a pre-bled set with front hydraulic disc brake caliper for GRX 1x drivetrain systems
- Hydraulic brake lever also has 8.3mm cable stroke action for dropper post use
- Pre-bled system from lever to caliper
- BRX specific lever shape and design for 1x only, will not match R8020 or others
- Hood and lever shapes feature gravel specific ergonomics
- Raised hood head prevents hand misalignment and slippage
- Anti-slip lever texture and brake lever coating
- Recessed finger notch prevents upward slipping
- Higher brake lever axis - curved brake lever improves braking input performance
- Improved grip and confidence on choppy surfaces and descents
- Higher braking efficiency reduces fatigue on long rides
- Brake lever features ServoWave action, Reach Adjust, Free Stroke
- Flat Mount BR-RX810 hydraulic brake caliper with IceTech finned disc pads
- SM-BH90-JK-SSR hydraulic hose system from lever to caliper
- Materials: GFRP body, Aluminum lever
- Left side brake only lever for hydraulic front brake/dropper post actuation
- Finish: GRX Scheme
- Weight: Lever 275 grams, Caliper 140 grams