Shimano RT-MT800 Rotor
Shimano developed the Center Lock disc rotor and hub system, and riders love it for it's ease of use, quick removal and installation, and solid-feeling spline interface. Originally designed for XT-level disc brakes, the MT800 Center Lock Rotor can be used with any Shimano disc braking system and is actually the primary option for the R8100 12-speed road group. The 140 and 160mm sizes are UCI compliant. A significant advantage for XT and Ultegra R8100 disc brakes comes from the IceTech disc rotors. This technology is actually quite simple, even if the engineering and manufacturing requirements are not. The principle of a cooler rotor is that heat reduction at the rotor prevents overall heat build-up, maintaining stopper power without fade, increases pad life, and protects the seals and moving parts of the disc caliper from overheating. All measurable, tangible benefits of the Freeza technology.
Shimano constructs IceTech rotors using an aluminum core, bonded on both sides to steel. The steel provides the strength and hardness of the braking surfaces, while the aluminum core releases heat build-up from the steel. Aluminum cannot hold heat the way steel can, making it a perfect way to moderate the heat that comes from the friction of braking. Additionally, aluminum is lighter, dropping the overall rotor weight. The steel-aluminum rotor is pinned via an arm system (number of arms varies with rotor size) to a sculpted aluminum spider, which is machined for the Center Lock spline and lockring mounting system. The cut-outs and shaping of the rotor itself are designed to provide excellent brake pad purchase, while shedding moisture, mud, and excess edge heat during use.
As with most Shimano products, the disc rotors are designed for optimal use with the overall braking system. Use of the finned Shimano IceTech brake pads maximizes temperature management, preventing excess heat build-up in the pad-caliper interface as well. With both the rotor shapes and pad fin design, air flow is the greatest asset for cooling. Overall, you know if you are running an XT or R8100 set-up, you have a well engineered system that not only allows you to achieve high performance, but won't cost you a fortune. IceTech works, and if you are running Center Lock, the MT800 is the way to go.
- IceTech equipped disc rotors designed for all levels of mountain bike use
- 3 layer construction dissipates heat more efficiently than full steel versions
- Aluminum core is sandwiched by steel plates, aluminum releases heat build-up
- Freeza technology radiator design to keep the system as cool as possible
- Center Lock interface via machined aluminum spider, pinned to outer braking ring
- Rotor is directional, install as specified
- Optimal results with Shimano IceTech finned hydraulic disc brake pads
- Rotor, with Center Lock IS lockring for standard CL hub set-ups
- Sizes: 140mm, 160mm, 180mm
- Weight: 122 grams (160mm)