Shimano SH-RC901T Track Shoes
In modern cycling track cyclists wear standard road shoes, unlike decades back when one needed a specific track shoe for a proper pedal/shoe interface. The RC901T Track Shoe from Shimano is essentially an S-Phyre road in a re-design for the extreme stress and need for complete shoe/foot interaction without slipping. It is being marketed as a track shoe, but it also being worn by pro-level road sprinters and even serious criterium racers. All of these disciplines require maximum control, power transfer, and complete rider confidence.
The designers redeveloped the upper of the S-Phyre RC9 road shoe, changing the upper closure overlap, and moving to a single Low-profile Boa® L6 dial with the stout power boost wire guide. The dial itself was moved to the main body of the upper on the outside- off the overlap itself. The material and construction there is stronger, with greater support. The anchor guides of the overlap section distribute the pulling forces over a larger area, diffusing the force over larger areas with the power boost wire guide set-up. The result is a fit that is very similar to the RC9, but in reality more restrictive, with a firmer feel, though still comfortable. And that was the goal- to deliver complete control and confidence to the riders who stress the shoe/foot interface the most.
The RC901T is only about 10 grams heavier per size on average over the RC9, the stout carbon outsole (12/12 on the Shimano road stiffness system), and the rest of the materials and insole are all the same. As for fit and feel, the micro-adjustment of the Boa L6 system allows for comfort or restriction, but the RC901T may be slightly warmer, due to the re-design of the closure. The trade-off is well worth it to those who have serious need. You know who you are.
- Premium level road-style shoe re-optimized for track, sprinting use
- Re-designed upper closure for optimal foot control, zero slip, security
- Maximizes power transmission by delivering more performance per gram
- UD carbon sole rated at 12/12 on Shimano stiffness meter
- Unified sole and upper construction sets a new level of fit, pedaling stability, rigidity and weight reduction
- Supple, stretch-resistant and highly-breathable one piece Teijin Avail microfiber synthetic leather upper, optimized with dimple perforated drainage/vent holes
- Single low-profile Boa® L6 dial with the stout power boost wire guide
- Upper designed for max draw and security, with Boa moved to upper body from flap
- Seamless midsole offers elimination of the lasting board reduces weight and enables a lower stack height
- Ultra-rigid lightweight carbon sole maximizes power transfer
- Extra 11mm of SPD-SL cleat adjustment range in outsole; detailed alignment graphics
- External curved heel cup construction suppresses foot twist and roll, stabilizes heel
- Replaceable heel tap
- Adaptable insole with arch height options, Silvadur™ treatment
- Sizes: 41-46 (whole/half sizes availability can be limited, NOT available online)
- Color: Blue
- Weight: 249 grams (size 42)