The SH-XC502W Mountain Shoe for women is a great example of how Shimano carries technologies, fit, and overall rider support to a top-selling women's shoe price point. Yes, some of the materials are downgraded from the top of the line shoes, but at less than half the price, you will truly appreciate the capabilities and design of this well-equipped shoe. The women's specific Dynalast structure matches the generalized foot shape, width and requirements required for a more supportive and evolved fit, with a focus on a narrower support zone and accompanying arch protection.
One of the similarities with it's S-Phyre sibling is the low stack height mid-sole, which serves to stabilize the foot closer to the pedal, which maximizes power transfer and overall pedaling efficiency while limiting foot fatigue. Instead of a very expensive carbon plate, Shimano uses their best glass-fiber reinforced composite material to create this mid-sole component. While not as stiff as the exceptional carbon version, the deflection in the sole is minimal. A Shimano exclusive ULTREAD tread rubber offers exceptional grip and traction, with excellent mud shedding properties so dismounts, walking and carrying are safer and surer. The specially formulated rubber is optimally applied with lightweight outsole patterns to maximize performance in dry and wet conditions The low profile replaceable spikes that come with the XC502W are suitable for most XC race and trail use, but cyclocross riders or those who ride in softer or muddy locales may prefer the 18mm spikes Shimano offers separately.
The XC502W uses the Surround wrapping upper structure, which envelops the foot better, complementing the low stack mid-sole system. The synthetic leather upper features mesh panels and TPU material for mild stretch and better overall fit. The breathability is much improved over the shoe it replaces. Pulling the the upper together, and allowing for a micro-adjustability of the fit tension is a Boa L6 Dial set-up that uses a crossover pattern to tension the mid and upper sections evenly via low profile glide anchor mounts on both sides of the closure. The dial itself pops up for immediate release of all tension, while the dial action itself can micro adjust in both directions. For the toe box area the very effective hook and loop closure is simple and familiar to just about everyone.
Shimano has set standards for cycling shoes, and the Dynalast system is a great example. This foot last has a natural ergonomic shape for holding and supporting the foot while riding to best transfer power, reduce arch and forefoot fatigue, and reduce hot spots from friction. It is perhaps best known for it's "toe-spring" section, but that is a function of the overall design from heel to toe. This is complemented by their adaptable cup removable insole, standard heel cup design, and consistent width and length construction. Shimano has added their expanded cleat mounting range design to the XC502W, with a full 20mm of fore-aft adjustment, which allows better cleat position optimization for those with more variable foot shape or personal preferences.Return to Top
- Moderate weight, XC rated performance XC rated women's mountain shoe with great fit, price
- Rated for MTB, Cyclocross and Gravel/Adventure use
- Many design and tech features carried down from S-Phyre line
- Low stack height mid-sole helps stabilize foot, maximizes power transfer and efficiency
- Surround wrapping upper structure reduces overlap, provides glove-like fit
- Mesh/TPU/Synthetic leather composite perforated upper provides comfortable fit and better breathability
- Boa® L6 dial for quick and precise micro-adjustment, Velcro forefoot strap
- Glass fiber reinforced mid-sole for power transfer, 7/11 Shimano MTB stiffness rating
- ULTREAD combines precisely engineered tread patterns with advanced proprietary rubber blend
- Specially-shaped sections of the outsole provide excellent SPD engagement and traction when clipped out of the pedals
- Durable scaled arch rubber reliably catches the pedals to maintain rider concentration and pedaling stability between clip-ins
- Hard-wearing rubber compound stands up to repeated scrapes, smashes, and scuffs
- Reinforced spike mount for extreme conditions, 18mm spike option sold separately
- Expanded 20mm SPD cleat adjustment range
- Dynalast last system for a naturally anatomic comfortable fit
- Sizes: 37-43 whole sizes
- Colors: Gray
- Weight: 290 grams (per shoe, 40)