Shimano SH-XC902 S-Phyre Mountain Shoes
The XC902 S-Phyre Mountain Shoe delivers the ultimate combination of light weight, power transfer, comfort, and stability that XC and cyclocross racers demand. As with most Shimano products the build of the shoe represents an integrated system, with each component piece, material, and technology optimized to complement the others, and ensure premium rider performance.
The updates and refinements in the XC902 validate the continuing development of the S-Phyre mountain option, while informing the whole series of XC shoes. The construction and materials can be described from the bottom up or the top down. In using the latter format, the story begins with the Surround upper, a microfiber synthetic fabric creation that features a mesh inner layer and strategically placed perforations to increase heat and moisture release and transfer. The eye-catching new upper closure design and implementation via the dual Boa Li2 dials create a semi cross-over design with anchors and guides that keep direct pressure off sensitive bone structures of the foot, while bringing proper support and connection with the foot and Dynalast sole. The updated L-Series platform from Boa brings a sleek, low-profile design, unprecedented durability, and improved sustainability. With incremental micro-adjustability, Li2 offers the ultimate in fast, effortless, precision fit. The mid and fore foot zone features Powerzone lace guides to secure forefoot fit up through the mid. At the top, the second Li2 dial is pulls a short wire and wide, pressure distributing strap that holds the upper zone in place, and effectively counters the directed control of wire pulling system of the lower dial despite the dual dials being located on the same side of the shoe.
Sole stiffness, structure and shape all combine to deliver proper pedaling dynamics from the shoe to the pedal throughout the pedal stroke, and Shimano's UD carbon fiber sole plates are incredible. So much so that their stiffness scale goes to 12. The XC902 delivers a 11/12 with the highest rating going to road shoes that can be stiff to the extreme. Employing the proprietary Dynalast power transfer design, the sole, last and insole serve to deliver the power you create, while carrying the bottom of the foot with support throughout the arch and metatarsal zone to reduce fatigue and limit potential for injury from strain. Shimano complements the power phase of the pedal stroke by ensuring the XC902 will also cradle your foot through the back half as well, using a simple, but effective lightweight external heel counter cup which supports and controls as well as aligns with the center of the heel, then uses the capture shape of the upper to control the zone around the Achilles tendon, maintaining stability and a secure feeling whether your efforts are in or out of the saddle. The material inside the back of the heel system within the shoe features a fabric that features a directional friction pattern, also serving to hold the sock in place, further minimizing the risk of heel slip during the hardest pedaling efforts.
- Uncompromising XC and cyclocross racing shoe with Shimano's lightest ever structure
- Also selected by many gravel racers who prefer greater stiffness and the fit of the Dual Boa system
- Carbon sole plate carries an 11/12 stiffness rating on Shimano's surpassed only by the S-Phyre road shoe, making it ideal for maximum power transfer
- Dynalast optimized toe-spring section that promotes a smoother, more energy-efficient upstroke also helps reduce energy loss on long rides
- Surround wrapping upper with function-specific zones and scientifically optimized materials maximize fit and pedaling performance
- Microfiber Synthetic leather and mesh combination ensures the upper has lightweight durability and excellent underside wicking
- More strategically placed perforations allow for maximal heat and moisture release to keep the foot comfortable during the hardest efforts
- Dual low-profile BOA® Li2 dials allow quick and precise micro-adjustment
- Adjustable Powerzone lace guide securely holds forefoot
- Lightweight proprietary ULTREAD XC rubber outsole with highly technical tread pattern creates the ultimate racing grip and protects the carbon sole plate
- Rider-tunable talon-shaped metal spike option in addition to lower profile grip version allow rider to choose between ultra-lightweight performance or ultimate traction
- Silvadur anti-microbial properties for inner face and insole materials
- Deep external heel counter is light and supportive, adding controlling structure to ensure heel control under the hardest efforts in or out of the saddle
- Rear of heel zone features a reverse friction material that assists in keeping foot in place
- High density foam cup insole with adaptable arch pads for better fit and overall comfort
- Low stack height midsole helps stabilize foot, maximizes power transfer and efficiency
- 2-bolt SPD-style cleat interface with fore-aft cleat alignment marking system
- Colors: Blue, Black
- Sizes: 40-48 (whole and half sizes)
- Weight: 296 grams per shoe (size 42)