Shimano Ultegra FD-R8000 Front Derailleur
A substantial change in the development of the Ultegra R8000 11-speed drivetrain, the front derailleur has been re-engineered for greater efficiency, frame and tire clearance, and improved chainline with the wider spacing found on disc brake bikes.The design and mechanical function matches that of the Dura-Ace R9100 design, so the Ultegra FD-R8000 Front Derailleur quickly becomes the second best cable actuated front shift component in the cycling world.
There were many facets of the Ultegra 6800 front derailleur that drove it's impressive performance, but with the increased emphasis on road disc bikes, with 135 and 142mm rear dropouts and larger volume tires, the long lever action of that model had to change. Shimano delivered a whole new design that accommodates a wider gear pitch and rear spacing without sacrificing shifting performance while finding a more flexible cable routing design. The FD-R8000 has an integrated cable tension setting for precise setup and tool-free adjustment, another improvement over 6800.
As far as physical shifting mechanics, the more complicated, yet compact R8000 design has 8 link bushings with construction features and shift lever integration that matches the natural force curve of the hand during lever throw to reduce effort at the end of the shift. This is characteristic of Shimano's engineering approach, so while you can use the R8000 front derailleur with the 6800 shifter, it won't function to its capability.
Construction wise, the FD-R8000 Front Derailleur has the expected chrome-plated steel chain guide you expect, stainless steel hardware and bolts, aluminum inner link opposing the Graphene Fiber Reinforced Plastic outer link. The base bracket is forged and painted aluminum, which carries over on the clamp models for the clamp itself. This R8000 component is actually 2-3 grams heavier than it's predecessor, yet with the huge clearance, easy set-up and true mechanical benefits, what's two to three grams?
- Redesigned 11-spd cable actuated front derailleur for 2x drivetrain
- Increased frame, wheel clearance, with improved mechanical advantage
- Optimized for wider dropouts, greater gearing range, efficiency
- Construction matches natural force curve of hand to reduce shift effort
- Integrated cable tension setting for precise setup, tool-free adjustment
- Chrome-plated steel chain guide for max durability, stiffness
- Aluminum, GFRP links; 8 link bushings
- Stainless steel bolts, screws, hardware
- Options: Braze-on, 31.8mm clamp (28.6 with shims), 34.9mm clamp
- Color: Black fade/Chrome
- Weight: Braze-on 92g, Clamp 106g