The Speed MTB Shoe from Sidi is a nice complement to a busy line-up, targeted at riders who may tackle enough varying cycling experiences to employ a treaded, SPD pedal type shoe for trails, gravel, pavement, and any general purpose use- such as commuting. It will give you the performance you require off-pavement, but is stiff and comfortable enough to use on your road bike. The style and design is clean, and though similar in effect to Sidi's MTB Gravel shoe, the Speed MTB leans a little more into the trail genre, adding more upper durability and utilizing a different sole system. Made in Italy, and sized along those lines (see details below), the Speed MTB is a durable, long-term shoe for the rider who prefers one pair to do everything they require.
Sidi choose the venerable Competition 2 sole for the Speed MTB Shoe. This nylon sole has a good balance of stiffness for stiff pedaling platform and stability on varied terrain, but also has some built-in forefoot flex to provide some comfort and relief. The engineered-flex also makes it a great shoe to walk and run around on all types of terrain that you encounter on your mountain or cross bike. The front of the sole has two threaded ports for optional Sidi toe spikes. The Competition 2 sole accepts a two-hole SPD type mountain cleat which is industry standard. The lugs on the sole keep the cleat recessed and provide plenty of traction when walking.
Wire cable closure systems are all the rage but no company has been doing this longer than Sidi, and they have evolved their Tecno over the decades as upper materials changed and more attention has been paid to anatomic pressure points for the application of the wire anchors. The TECNO-3 system dials in fit along the entire length of the shoe with one wire and dial set-up, adapting the upper to the shape of the foot for a customized fit. Sidi's famously reliable and replaceable closures are improved by an all new proprietary Sidi Wire material that is completely non-binding for intuitive and effortless on-the-fly adjustments.
The rest of the details are simple but appreciated. Recognizing the need for easier on-and-off action, a loop is set at the end of the tongue. The stitching is clean and and laid in double or triple rows where more reinforcement is necessary. The standard Sidi insole is lightweight, yet is made to offer comfort and vibration mitigation. The perforations help ease moisture off the bottom of the foot. As far as shape and sizing, the Speed MTB Shoe is standard Euro/Sidi, which tends to fit best on feet with lower volume, a mid-arch and true D width in the forefoot. The length is true to size but the toe box can feel a bit compressed by the overall shaping from the metatarsal zone forward. If you are on the cusp of sizes, we generally recommend you go up. Those who have owned Sidi shoes before and are happy with the fit can be true advocates for the shoes, but as with all cycling shoes, if they don't fit you, they won't be comfortable on or off the bike. This model is made in 38-48 full sizes, with half sizes from 38.5-46.5 European. Sidi's full size detail chart does list centimeter lengths for foot measurements, which is the best way to compare the expected length of the interior of shoe when crossing brands as the Euro sizing is far from universal. That won't guarantee fit, but should put you close in overall interior length.Return to Top
- Italian-made MTB shoe that is versatile enough for trails,. gravel, commuting, general purpose use
- Durable and water resistant Microtech Microfiber fabric is used for the full upper and tongue
- Upper and tongue feature zoned perforations for breathability
- Single TECNO-3 System dials in fit along the entire length of the shoe with carefully paced wire anchor points to reduce pressure on sensitive areas
- Sidi's famously reliable and replaceable closures are improved by an upgraded proprietary Wire material that is completely non-binding for intuitive and effortless on-the-fly adjustments
- Sidi Heel Cup stabilizes and supports; anatomically shaped plastic, reduces heel slip and provides increased power transfer
- Heel cup provides additional foot protection in the event of a crash, top heel area has rubber surface that protects the microfiber ankle collar zone
- MTB nylon composite reinforced Competition 2 sole features engineered flex; with lugged tread base, threaded receivers for optional toe spikes
- Abrasion resistant material on the toe zone
- Reinforced 2 position SPD-style cleat mounting plate with sliding adjustment
- Standard Sidi blue insole
- Sizes stocked: 42-46 (w/ half sizes 43.5.5 - 45.5)
- Colors: Black/Black
- Weight: 730 grams per pair (size 42)