Specialized Crux 10R Frameset 2022
Specialized has always offered their high performance frame models at various levels to provide a more cost effective platform for those wishing to build their ideal bike, as well as for their Pro, Expert, and Comp complete bicycles. For those looking for a new competitive gravel frameset, the premium grade S-Works FACT 12r carbon model may be just a bit out of the budget, but fear not as you can get the excellent FACT 10r version of the same design, with a slight weight penalty but nearly the same performance. With gravel ascendant, Specialized has redesigned their Crux-series framesets to be fully capable for fast and race-oriented gravel riding, yet many specialists may well still appreciate the explosive responses and nimble handling of the Crux for it's original purpose: cyclocross. With a geometry and tire clearance favored for gravel, personal preference for competitive cross racing will drive the decision. The Crux 10r is perfectly placed alongside the extreme versatility and compliance of the Diverge to truly balance Specialized's gravel offerings. What is different about the Crux other than geometry and design concept? How about a FACT10r level frame weight of 825 grams in a size 56cm? How about the same tire clearance as the Diverge, at 700c x 47 or 650b x 2.1” tires on contemporary-width rims? With several lightweight groupsets and build options available today, you can easily build a complete bike from 16-18lbs.
The obvious question then becomes how is it possible to make such a terrain capable frameset with massive clearance at such a light weight. For Specialized the answer lies within the engineering and material science that enabled them to build the 585 gram Aethos road frameset. Detailed and diligent analysis, along with innovative dreams and realizations led the R&D team to discover that they could remove certain carbon plies in their lay-up schedule by using longer, unbroken plies. This was accomplished while further making subtle refinements to the roundish conical tube shapes to find a better balance of reduced weight with increased strength by focusing on how to taper the toptube and the downtube, as well as how the Crux design relates the head tube and bottom bracket to create a frameset that exists as ecosystem, not a series of parts bonded together.
This was accomplished with the additional benefits of improving ride quality and making the frameset visually more appealing for those who prefer a simpler, classic aesthetic. It is optimal for a wireless electronic shifting set-up in the cockpit, in which only the hydraulic housing is exposed. Otherwise the housing and wiring routing is internal with downtube entry, but not hidden in the stem-bar-fork-frame combination. The frame design delivers the clearance in the rear triangle and avoids the heavier compromise of a dropped chainstay. A more direct route is more effective in delivering power from pedal input, and the straight, lightweight, hollow driveside stay is ideal in this regard. Specialized specifies a 27.2mm seatpost on this sloping frame for increased bump compliance. The 10r frameset carries the same S-Works 12r disc brake fork that weighs just under 400g with the steerer cut for a 56cm frame, with massive tire clearance, a performance-oriented but compliant ride and impeccable front end control.
The geometry is purely Crux gravel. While the race design and rider posture ethos of the cross-oriented Crux was carried over, a more stable design is desired for gravel, so the frame reach was lengthened. The extra 10mm Reach of the frame allows for ideal weight distribution, eliminates toe overlap, and dictates a shorter stem to create stability and balance with responsive steering. The low Stack reinforces optimal weight distribution and is ideal for an aggressive fit, while the 72mm (54-61cm) bottom bracket drop is the sweet spot to create a low and confident feel while ensuring the bike remains nimble for quick line adjustments and tight, fast tracks. Cross ready? Perhaps not, but ground and pedal clearance can be personal due to rider skill and ability. The result is a deft, nimble feeling that fast gravel riding deserves, one that responsive and supple on every surface. And thanks to the applied Specialized's Rider-First Engineered™ philosophy, this experience extends comparably across every frame size.
If speed, great handling and control on gravel surfaces meet your pro-level race bike needs, this Crux 10r frameset is the perfect foundation for your preferred groupset and build kit. If you'd like to discuss a partial or full build featuring Campagnolo Ekar, Shimano GRX/Di2 or SRAM eTap AXS with us, call 800.627.6664 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Gravel race/fast gravel frameset with high grade design, materials and build
- 825 gram frame (56cm) engineered for the requirements of gravel race-style riding
- Specific geometry for gravel with low Stack, longer Reach, 72mm BB drop, 425mm chainstay
- Incredible complementary power delivery, compliance, stability, tire clearance, nimble handling
- Perfect balance of front and rear stiffness combined with exceptional ride quality
- Aethos strategy derived CCD developed Crux tubes with subtle, elongated conical sections for full frame ecosystem effect
- Max tire size: 700c x 47 or 650b x 2.1” tires on contemporary-width rims
- Standard-type equipment required: 27.2mm round post, stem/bar cockpit
- Frame: Crux FACT 10r Carbon, Rider First Engineered™, Flat Mount disc, 12/142mm thru-axle
- Rated for 275lb max rider weight (components used may dictate a lower rating
- Internal routing through downtube only; hydraulic disc, for 1x/2x electronic, 1x only for mechanical
- Bottom Bracket shell: 68mm BSC Threaded
- Removable front derailleur braze-on type mount
- Lightweight, machined minimalist dropouts, thru-axles, seatpost clamp, and derailleur hanger
- 3 bottle cage mounts- ST, DT, under DT (no fender, rack, or bag mounts)
- Fork: Crux FACT 12r Carbon fork, tapered, headset, Flat Mount disc interface, 12/100mm thru-axle
- Seatpost 300mm minimum recommended length, 27.2mm diameter
- Sizes offered: 49, 52, 54, 56, 58, 61 cm
- Colors: Satin Dusty Blue/Ice Papaya, Gloss Coral Lilac Fade, Gloss Carbon Smoke Grey
- Weight: 825 grams (56cm, lowest weight paint scheme)
|Specialized Crux 2022|
|Wheel Size||700c or 650b||700c or 650b||700c or 650b||700c or 650b||700c or 650b||700c or 650b|
|Top Tube Length||512mm||539mm||549mm||568mm||582mm||599mm|
|Head Tube Length||100mm||115mm||130mm||147mm||167mm||190mm|
|Bottom Bracket Drop||74mm||74mm||72mm||72mm||72mm||72mm|
|Based around a 700c x 38mm tire (max 47mm)|