Specialized Epic Pro Bicycle 2022
The 2022 Epic Pro Bicycle represents true race-level equipment any rider can push to it's XC limits. Equipped with the rear Brain suspension, RockShox SID Brain fork, SRAM XO1 AXS Eagle 1x12 drivetrain, Roval Control Carbon Wheelset, and a great Specialized cockpit, the Epic Pro will thrill and delight.
The story of the Specialized Epic has been widely shared in the mountain bike community for well over a decade. The design came to be a regular podium resident at cross country races from regional MTB orgs to World Cups. The controlled rear suspension of the rear BRAIN system allowed the Epic to perform like hardtail, yet be reactive to bump forces, large and small, affording the rider with a more forgiving ride on the rough stuff, while keeping the rear wheel tracking to the ground in all conditions, especially while climbing, which was a true advantage for climbing that also allowed for better control and safety while descending. There was a weight penalty for a full suspension system versus a hardtail, but the benefit gains across all terrain outweighed that cost.
Over the years the Epic has evolved, from lighter alloy frames to really light and stiffer carbon version. The BRAIN system itself, also evolved, usually in the internals is currently a collaboration between Specialized and RockShox. The second generation BRAIN system saw a revamp of the philosophy and application, with a position just behind the rear axle for more accurate and greater sensitivity to small and large bump impacts. Recent frame developments combine to improve the frameset overall. Rear travel went to 100mm, greater tire clearance was built in, and all of the continual evolution resulted in the current Epic Frameset. The model increases rear-triangle stiffness over the last generation for peerless power transfer, while the use of FACT 11m carbon, a dedicated layup and a full carbon shock link also make it a highly capable lightweight full suspension design while offering the most capable handling in an Epic yet.
As it has been re-engineered hand-in-hand with the new Epic, the latest BRAIN design resets the expectation for efficiency, employing a new race-tuned pedaling platform to ensure every watt possible is translated into forward motion, while handily soaking up momentum-killing chatter and big hits alike- all more smoothly than ever. Factor in geometry changes that reflect the nature of current' XC course requirements, riding styles- as well as more 29" tire capability, and the balance of the frame with a 100mm Epic frameset's Position-Sensitive BRAIN fork benefits from RockShox's latest SID SL chassis for next-level steering stiffness that still manages to keep the gram count to a minimum.
Specialized developed Rider First Engineering to ensure each frame size had tube sizes, shapes and lay-ups were maximized for the size. The geometry was built around maintaining the stability required for an XC race bike, with a 67.5° headtube angle that allowed for better descending and quicker steering control. It's a tricky challenge but no team loves tricky challenges more than the R&D and testing group at Specialized, and the Epic Pro maximizes the BRAIN systems, frame and engineering to achieve it. As for general features, all frameset routing is internal, including the capability to run a dropper post, and fitments offer opportunity for wired, cabled or wireless shifting systems.
- High-level 29er XC race bicycle with innovative, smart suspension system; SRAM AXS Eagle wireless shifting
- Geometry is a more modern XC set-up, built around a 67.5° headtube angle
- Frame features a 15-percent stiffer rear triangle in order to take full advantage of the BRAIN's new race-tuned pedaling platform
- Total of over 100 grams reduced from the previous generation S-works frame w/BRAIN mount
- More frame details
- Internal routing for all systems and options (except fork, and BRAIN line to shock), as well as for a dropper post
- Post Mount disc interface (160/180mm rotor min/max) / Replaceable rear derailleur hanger
- Clearances: Tire 2.4" (fork is rated at 60mm/2.35") / Chainring size min/max 28-38T
- Frame can be set-up with forks up to 120mm travel
- Frame: FACT 11m Full Carbon, Modern XC Race Geometry, Rider-First Engineered™, threaded BB, 12x148mm rear spacing, internal cable routing, 100mm travel
- Rear Shock: RockShox-Specialized BRAIN, Rx XC Tune, 5-Position Platform Adjust, Rebound Adjust, Integrated Extension, 265x52.5mm (13mm sag/ 25%)
- Fork: RockShox SID SL BRAIN, Top-Adjust Brain damper, Debon Air, 15x110mm, 44mm offset, 100mm Travel
- Headset: Cane Creek, 41.8/28.6/Flat IS52/40 w/AL Race Seal, Crown race
- Groupset: SRAM XO1 AXS Eagle 1x12 Shifting / Level TLM Hydraulic Disc Brakes
- Shifter: AXS Eagle Rocker Paddle
- Rear Derailleur: AXS Eagle with rechargeable eTap battery
- Crankset: SRAM X1 Carbon Eagle, Boost, DUB, 34T Alloy Chainring, 104BCD
- Bottom Bracket: SRAM DUB, BSA 73mm Threaded
- Cassette: XG1295 10-52 XD | Chain XO1 Eagle 12-spd
- Brakeset: Level TLM Hydraulic levers/calipers (2-piston); 180mm F/ 160mm R Centerline rotors
- Wheelset: Roval Control Carbon, DT Swiss 350 hubset, 6-bolt disc, 2Bliss Ready, 28mm IRW, Zero Bead hook
- Tires: Front- Fast Trak CONTROL, GRIPTON T5 compound, 60 TPI, 2Bliss Ready, 29x2.3"; w/tubes / Rear- Renegade CONTROL, GRIPTON T5 compound, 60 TPI, 2Bliss Ready, 29x2.35"; w/tubes
- Cockpit & Accessories
- Handlebar: S-Works Carbon XC Mini Rise, 6° upsweep, 8° backsweep, 10mm rise, 760mm, 31.8mm
- Stem: Specialized SL Alloy, 4-bolt, 31.8mm
- Grips: Specialized Trail
- Seatpost: Bike Yoke Divine SL Dropper, 80mm travel, 0mm offset, 30.9mm, 320/400mm length (34.9mm clamp)
- Saddle: Body Geometry Power Expert, Ti rails, carbon-reinforced shell, 143mm width (155mm for Small)
- Acc: SWAT EMT Cage-Mount Tool
- Sizes: XS, Small, Medium, Large, XL
- Colors: Satin Carbon Carbon / Red-Gold Chameleon Tint / White
- Weight: 22.62 lbs (Medium)- complete with cage and tool)
|Top Tube Length||563mm||598mm||563mm||656mm|
|Head Tube Length||95mm||100mm||115mm||135mm|
|Bottom Bracket Drop||48mmmm||48mm||48mm||48mm|