The initial success of the Power saddle design didn't rule out any evolutionary design process. Some cyclists reported feeling more "perched" than "settled in" so the Arc shape was developed. Most likely the those who had always been more comfortable on a more rounded shape saddle struggled, as those who may have been used to a truly or modestly flat design have no idea what the others are talking about. The Arc, in this case as the Power Arc Expert, has the same concept and features of the standard shape, but more curve, offering the rider to integrate more with the design and take full advantages of the Power.
The aptly named Power Saddle line from Specialized represents the push for the best combination of power, efficiency and actual physical health and comfort while riding in an aggressive position. Yes, it is designed for forward hip rotation, such as what you'd find while riding in the drops, or simply having more overall drop from the saddle to the top of the bars. The shorter structure of the saddle is often referred to as "stub-nose" though not all short models truly fit that term. By removing the forward extension of the saddle, where few people actually truly ride much, the Power reduces the area forward of the main sit bone contact points.
This can eliminate a friction zone, and it also has the effect of keeping the rider in-place more, to the physical location where an informed bike fit process would identify the best extension and fore-aft for an efficient and repeatable powerful pedaling action. Otherwise, the Power design has been shaped for this posture, with a proper width and central relief channel derived from the Body Geometry system. It is designed to reduce pressure on soft tissue and get sit bones placed and lifted in the proper width support zone to reduce pressure on soft tissue, as well as impingement of nerves and arteries. The Arc just accentuates the curve without impacting the Body Geometry rationale of the standard Power shape.
The Power Arc Expert is a perfect "middle of the line" model, featuring durable and strong round titanium rails, and modest weight. The Arc Expert also features a stiff,carbon-reinforced shell that creates the platform that delivers longevity and all-day riding efficiency. The padding is a PU foam, at the Specialized Level 2 thickness. it compresses slightly, supporting, and reducing pressure without the redistribution that softer padding creates- resulting in new pressure zones. The Power shape was originally developed for women, but it was found to be effective for men as well. The key of course is ensuring you are on the proper width, as well finding the position comfortable for you. The Power Arc Expert is a great model to start with as it has a fair price point, can easily be moved to another bike if you decide a lighter version is desirable for your top bike, and retains more resale value if it just doesn't work out.
Fit and your dominant riding position will determine if the Power saddle concept is right for you. It is truly another great option for serious cyclists- you don't need to be a racer to be aggressive. Flexibility, mass, and essential variables in anatomy all factor it. Even when properly leveled, the Power Arc Expert feels like it wants you to truly "sit-in and be cradled by" and propel your legs through the pedal spin. Yet, you can sit up when you need to and still feel supported and safe. It can take a little getting used to, and some people find they have to relearn how to control the bike while descending or cornering without pedaling- not realizing how much they use inner leg pressure to guide these processes, yet it happens naturally and quickly. If you are ready for something proven, but a little different than your full length saddle, the Specialized Power Arc Expert Saddle can help you make a powerful transition.
- Performance-minded saddle designed for more aggressive riding postures for long hours on the bike
- Arc adds a more curved shape for riders who are more used to the shape and support, but still need/want Power design features
- Excellent shorter (240mm long) saddle platform for pedal power and efficiency
- Slightly lifted tail/sloping sides for a cleaner path to pedals, the slight tail lift provides rear stability
- Patented Body Geometry design is lab-tested to ensure blood flow to sensitive arteries
- Ergonomically designed and scientifically tested to provide structural and anatomical support
- Tested to be effective for both men and women who ride semi-aggressive to aggressive positions
- Tough, lightweight, and water-resistant synthetic cover
- Stiff carbon-reinforced shell delivers longevity and all-day riding efficiency
- Lightweight and supportive PU foam for increased comfort on longer rides
- Level 2 padding: Medium density foam for bike feel with additional cushioning
- Lightweight, resilient and forgiving hollow 7x7mm round titanium rails
- 55mm of usable rail length (more than many such "stub-nose" saddle designs)
- SWAT™-compatible mounts molded into saddle base allow for sleek, integrated storage solutions
- Width options: 143mm, 155mm, 168mm
- Color: Black
- Weight: 245 grams (actual, 143mm width), 255 grams (actual, 155mm), 258 grams (actual, 168mm)